maroon
    2000 Camaro

convertible window replacement?

the other night my back window was shot with a bb gun. the window shattered and now needs to be replaced. i had a piece of plexiglass laying around that i was going to secure in there to save money but then i wouldnt be able to use the rear defroster. does anybody know where i could get a replacemnt glass window with defroster? and how would i go about replacing the window?

Tan over white ram air

white
    1998 TA WS6 CONV

Have you tried "the guys in the little red trucks"?

maroon
    2000 Camaro

no whats that

maroon
    2000 Camaro

i just checked them out. it wasnt much help. i dont really want to claim it on my insurance so im looking to maybe do it myself.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

http://www.convertibletopguys.com/

You can get the window or other parts here

maroon
    2000 Camaro

thanks that looks like just what i was looking for. i appreciate it. any tips on where i could get some info on how to install it?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

I recommend a good auto upholstery shop. Once local here re-glued my rear window in for $55, money well spent.

If you are not sure, a good body shop could refer you to the shop they use if you call around... best of luck

maroon
    2000 Camaro

thanks. i actually found an apholstry shop right by my house that said i could bring in a new window as long as it had the fabric around the edges and they would sew it in for pretty cheap. thanks for the help

Black
    99 Z28 VERT A4 DD

My back window actually started coming out. After some research I learned that it really isn't practical to just replace the glass or to do it yourself...believe me I tried.

To replace just the glass, you have to remove the entire rear panel and glue the new piece in. Thats the easy part. The hard part is getting the panel back in. I spent an entire weekend before I gave up and went to the upholstery guy. After some trouble and with me helping, it still took the pro 2+ hours to get it in.

And i wouldn't recommend simply gluing in a new piece either. Its just matter of time before the glues begins separating and you're in the same boat all over again. Plus the whole new panel is only a little more expensive than replacement glass.

As far as the guy who shot your car with the BB gun, you ought to castrate that MF.

white
    2000 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Dustman View Post
    My back window actually started coming out. After some research I learned that it really isn't practical to just replace the glass or to do it yourself...believe me I tried.

To replace just the glass, you have to remove the entire rear panel and glue the new piece in. Thats the easy part. The hard part is getting the panel back in. I spent an entire weekend before I gave up and went to the upholstery guy. After some trouble and with me helping, it still took the pro 2+ hours to get it in.

And i wouldn't recommend simply gluing in a new piece either. Its just matter of time before the glues begins separating and you're in the same boat all over again. Plus the whole new panel is only a little more expensive than replacement glass.

As far as the guy who shot your car with the BB gun, you ought to castrate that MF.
    ya he would feel the dark side of the force

maroon
    2000 Camaro

hey i just thought i would let everyne know that i removed and installed the convertible window successfully by myself in about 4 hours. sorry guys no pics but if you happen to need some help let me know and ill try and help you out

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28 vert

mine was coming unglued and i was going to have it replaced but i talked to a few upholstry shops that said it could be done but it was recommended that my top which was 10 years old was just completly replaced. I dunno what kind of shape yours is in but it maybe the best decision

Thread Information