Checking the soft top

This is a discussion on Checking the soft top within the Convertible forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; All you guy's with convertible's . Check the condition of the cloth top on the sides just behind the driver ...

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Checking the soft top

All you guy's with convertible's .
    Check the condition of the cloth top on the sides just behind the driver about head high.
    While inspecting mine the other day I noticed what appeared to be a worn spot about the size of a quarter. Some bracing must be rubbing on this spot . Haven't noticed any on the passenger side . I put two or three patches on the inside of the top using HD duct tape where you can't see it . It looks like what ever it is its trying to rub a hole in the top there .
    Other than that my top looks new & I sure as hell don't want to have to replace it anytime soon .
    Just a word of caution.

I don't think mine has moved enough yet. I haven't had it down since last summer sometime

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Thumbs up Top-down

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I don't think mine has moved enough yet. I haven't had it down since last summer sometime

Well I was in Phoenix last summer and it was like 105 degrees by 9:00 A.M. so I can understand why one might keep the top up with the AC on high in that part of the country .

Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    Well I was in Phoenix last summer and it was like 105 degrees by 9:00 A.M. so I can understand why one might keep the top up with the AC on high in that part of the country .
    Actually I live up in Prescott where the summers are much more comfortable. We have top down weather 10 months out of the year up here.
    It's just that I haven't had the interest to drive the car since last September

Silver
    1998 z28 convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    All you guy's with convertible's .
    Check the condition of the cloth top on the sides just behind the driver about head high.
    Is it on the inside or the outside? The only spot I have wear is on the outside where the window was going up to high and catching on it. I fixed it now though.

On a sidenote
    Don't ever close your door by pushing on the window it will eventually screw up your window and make it loose and not fit right trust me it is a pain to fix.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

+2 ON THE DOOR GLASS
    The wear appeared to be on both inside & outside of the top material . Its gotta be rubbing something while in the down position .

Silver
    1998 z28 convertible

Huh, I checked mine and it seems okay I guess I will just have to check it periodically, just in case.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS SLP M6

Smells like mildew and condensation on rear window

Hi, Iv'e only owned this car for about two months. Driving it off the lot I noticed a mildew smell. I checked around and found some water stains on the inside of the top in the "blind spot" areas. I figured someone had carelessly put the top down wet for a long period of time before putting it back up. However now I'm noticing everytime it rains there's a "haze" on the inside of the rear window. I think it might be condensation. Has anyone had any problems with leaks?
    Thanks in advance,
    Mike
    2002 SS M6 Convertible

I've only been caught in the rain accidently a couple times in the last 3 years. I never noticed any leaks or had any wet spots afterwards.

I have heard though of a few people having rear window leaks. My rear window gives me the impression it's been removed and resealed completely at some point. Or maybe they all look like mine
    You would have to pull up the top around the back window to see what I'm talking about, my top appears to have shrunk a little over the top of the window and exposes the top of the glass just a bit.

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

The area where the glass is located is actually a separate piece of cloth, in other words, the top is in two pieces, the main top which covers about 85% of the car and the piece around the back glass.I found this out when I had my top replaced last summer, FWIW.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS SLP M6

Oops, sorry. I though I started my own thread...

Anyway, it's raining like the dickens outside right now and the car is outside so I'll check it out.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS SLP M6

Here's what I found. Water is comming in around the back window area and dripping onto the channel along the top of the 1/4 panel inside. It's finding it's way onto the carpet. I have pics but for some reason I can't post them.

Quote Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157 View Post
    The area where the glass is located is actually a separate piece of cloth, in other words, the top is in two pieces, the main top which covers about 85% of the car and the piece around the back glass.I found this out when I had my top replaced last summer, FWIW.
    It's the outer most layer above the rear window that has appeared to have shrunk on my car, it exposes the edge of the glass just a bit.
    Our other convertable never did that, and it was more exposed to the elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Redegal View Post
    Here's what I found. Water is comming in around the back window area and dripping onto the channel along the top of the 1/4 panel inside. It's finding it's way onto the carpet. I have pics but for some reason I can't post them.
    Sounds like it could very well be the back glass leaking. Sometimes those seals dry up and shrink.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS SLP M6

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's the back glass. Would a light bead of silicone around the outside cure it?
    Last edited by Redegal; 06-18-2009 at 07:59 PM.

White
    01 SS Vert

I noticed mine leaking two days ago....I might take a better look at it and see if I can seal it.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's the back glass. Would a light bead of silicone around the outside cure it?
    Maybe, but I wouldn't think it would be much more effort to cut the seal around the glass and reapply.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

I had the same issue, paid a upholstery shop $55 to reseal the glass and add a strip of matching fabric over the top of the glass to reseal it. Worked great

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS SLP M6

That doesn't sound bad. Maybe I'll go that route.

Thread Information