Big puddle of pink fluid

This is a discussion on Big puddle of pink fluid within the Convertible forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Underneath my passenger back seat. Filled the tank back up and had the wife raise and lower while i watched ...

silver
    1998 trans am convert

Big puddle of pink fluid

Underneath my passenger back seat. Filled the tank back up and had the wife raise and lower while i watched for a leak and saw no drip. I can not get a wrench on the lines to see how tight they are but have a gut feeling it probily is a seal on the cylinder. Any tips on how to get this cylinder out of there or a wrench in to check the lines.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

If you pull the cover from over the pump you'll find that the pump is attached to a plate that is secured to the fender well with two nuts. Carefully remove the nuts so as to not drop them down the well and you can lift the plate, pump, and lines without disconnecting anything. You can then clean up the pump, and check for leaks at the fittings. If the fluid is under the seat it might also be a leak at the lift cylinder. With the top down you can look down the side of the top fabric on the side where you found the fluid and might find a leak at the cylinder seal or at the connection point for the fluid line. If not sure you can look down the side while someone else runs the top up and down to see if you can spot the leak. The cylinder is not a very difficult thing to swap out but be very careful not to get any fluid on the top fabric. The red fluid is Automatic Trans Fluid and will definitely stain the top. You can probably figure out how to remove the cylinder by looking at it carefully. If not comfortable you might want to check into a manual. I'm not sure if the process is included in a Chiltons or Clymers but it is definitely in the factory service manual set. After you swap the cylinder you should look at the sticky in this section on replacing the pump fluid to refill the system.

silver
    1998 trans am convert

Definately leaking at the lift cylinder. I just can`t see a easy way to get it out unless i take the bolts out that hold the vert frame. I will have to look into a manual. Looks like 3 nuts holding the frame in place then maybe i can lift the frame up enough to get at that cyclinder.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Sorry, I'm in Afghanistan right now so can't get to my manuals. Perhaps some other vert owner here with the manuals can look up the procedure to replace the lift cylinder?

Thread Information