1 of 396 T/A Conv 2001 Wayah-bird's Avatar
    iTrader

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

Help needed for fair 'asking' price

I know what the KBB value is but I would like opinions from people that actually own F-bodies and what they personally would pay. I am but one person and I would like more opinions. What would you ask for the following car?
    1996 Formula LT1 285 HP
    1)39,500 miles
    2)Adult one-owner car
    3)Excellent dark gray cloth interior with no cracks, rips, or flaws
    4)Excellent exterior but a small ding on the right rear quarter area, slight scratch by driver's door handle. No rock chips or other dings.
    5)Blue/Green chameleon original paint (deep shine)
    6)Non-smoker
    7)An all original stock car including exhaust with perfect tips.
    8)Garage-kept.
    9)Potenza tires are 6 years old with maybe 40% tread left.

I appreciate your input in determining a fair price. The car is NOT on the market yet. Thanks!

iTrader

Red
    94 Formula

Yes that car is worth about $2500. Let me know when you want to sell it. Just messing with you but it should bring top bucks just take it slow an you will get what you want good luck.

BIGRED Z
    If you get a private buyer with cash you can get over kbb. But if the buyer tries to finance it, they would have a hard time getting financed for over blue book especially with the age of the car. Many banks won't even finance cars older than 1998.

That's the sucky part of modding/specialized paint jobs etc. on the vehicle, it rarely pays off. If you find a buyer who really likes that paint job, you might recoup 20%-30% of what it cost you. Prepare to show receipts/documentation etc on when and where it was painted.

Try E bay, I constantly see F-bods going for over blue book. Not sure if people are not doing their research or get in a bidding war or what.

Lori
    Last edited by BIGRED Z; 03-02-2006 at 02:11 AM.

iTrader

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

Thank you!

I appreciate your response. Ebay is an option but there are so many 'tire-kickers' and non-payers. Listings start at $40 so it is a gamble. I'll start looking again to see what, and if, they are actually selling. BTW, the paint is original. Dave

BIGRED Z
    Maybe we're not talking about the same type of paint. I've always heard the chameleon paint as the color change paint, or flip flop paint. If we're talking about the same thing, I wasn't aware that GM ever had that as an option. They're usually high dollar paint jobs (4K-8K).

But as far as the Ebay goes, I see people asking 3-4K over blue book just because they were the only owner. Naturally, one feels justified in asking more for their "baby" because it was well cared for, but they're not exactly objective either. Kelley Blue Book doesn't rate value according to number of owners, just vehicle condition and mileage. In some situations, collector status, limited production etc will drive up cost but that's all accounted for when you enter the type of car.

I hear Auto Trader has a $60 listing "until the car sells". That would be better than gambeling on Ebay with a 40 cost to insert it for a week only and maybe not even sell it. Good luck.

Lori
    Last edited by BIGRED Z; 03-02-2006 at 07:04 PM.

iTrader

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

Thanks again!

I just answered one of your questions on another thread. I appreciate your time in answering mine. I wish others could have given me some input (actual price) but it is all very subjective so I guess no one felt like answering. I just had an excellent experience on ebay selling a neighbor's car but so many 'completed' sales have no buyers. It's tough to lay out your own money. My neighbor paid for everything so I had fun with it. Take care! Dave

iTrader
    1 (100%)
    That color is not the most popular (everyone wants red/black/silver, etc)
    I assume its an auto since you didn't list 6-speed (most folks want manual trans)
    I also assume no t-tops since you didn't list it (meaning yet again, tough to sell).
    ..and then, its not the LS1. Its a nice low-mileage car, so that's a plus.

To the right buyer at the right time, I'd say in the $5k range. I think it would typically fetch less...to as little as $4k if you were in a hurry to sell.

HTH!

iTrader

White
    98 Trans Am

Yeah i have an autotrader ad and although my car is taking long to sell, i'm in no hurry and dont HAVE to sell it. It costs about $70 with a bunch of pics on your ad. Make SURE you have a lot of good pics if you want anyone to apreciate it. if you dont take time for good pics why should they take time and drive just to see it?

As far as price. I'd recommend looking at autotrader for what a similar ones are selling for. and check nadaguides.com, edmunds.com, kbb.com. and when searching on autotrader go with a wide mile range to get more cars but look at cars w/out t-tops, w/non high demand colors, and with about your miles. or compensate for example one that has a bit more miles and a more wanted color might sell for what your's would.

Good luck.

iTrader

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

End thread

This thread can be ended. Too everyone that helped I thank you.

iTrader

Silver
    Firebird W68

send pics and info to fbird42@yahoo.com plz

thx

iTrader

Blue
    2000 Z-28

he said to end it, id guess it's sold? if not $4K-$6K

Thread Information