Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F.S. 98 Formula

iTrader

SOM
    1998 Pontiac Formula

98 Formula m6 $7,000

I'm going to be a dad soon, and don't have time to mess with this project anymore. It has hooker cat-back, and a lid. I have long tube headers, off road y-pipe, exhaust cut-out, and the after-cat sims not installed on the car but come with it. The car is sunset orange metallic, and has 89,xxx miles on it. New tires all the way around. It's a 6-speed, and theres a catch in third gear due to a bent shift fork, I bought the car planning to fix it but never got around to it. If interested send me a pm and I'll try to get some pics sent. Asking 8,200
    Thanks,
    Luke
    Last edited by Lucas; 02-06-2007 at 11:39 AM. Reason: new price

2000pontiac6
    Have any pics? sounds nice

iTrader

SOM
    1998 Pontiac Formula

I'm going to get some pics up in the next few days, we've just had some ice come through, so I'll wait for that to clear up.

iTrader

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

Is it actually called SOM? Did pontiac call it that in 98?
    i have the 98 camaro brochure + there is a Cayenne red metallic, that is actually like a burnt orange, i always wondered if that was SOM,+ they just changed the name in later years, The cayenne red in the 98 brochure (actually an orange) looks a little diff then the Som in the 01 brochure, but could just be diff lights.
    Sorry to hijack your thread I just always wondered about that.
    PS. Formulas are rare to begin with,I'll bet not too many were built in that color,anxious to see pics.must be a nice combination.

iTrader
    that car sounds great im very interested to see these pics very interested in this car my email is gapp4277@msn.com

iTrader

SOM
    1998 Pontiac Formula

You could be right with the color. I was told it was som but always thought it wasn't quite as orange as the others i've seen. It's very possible that you have the correct color. Thanks for the info. I'm going to try to get pics up asap, but it was sleeting all day today and very cold, so I wasn't too motivated. Sorry about the delay on the pics I thought I had some on the digital camera but I was wrong.

iTrader

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by gapp94vert View Post
    that car sounds great im very interested to see these pics very interested in this car my email is gapp4277@msn.com
    Hey gapp4277 I thought you were buying my car, What happened to ya?

iTrader

red
    2000 ss

Quote Originally Posted by mystic-z View Post
    Hey gapp4277 I thought you were buying my car, What happened to ya?
    if u wanna sell ur car that bad u may force me into it lol

iTrader
    yeah sorry about that mystic-z i just cant have an automatic car ill wind up selling it like i did my 94 i need to have stick it just bores me driving a/t need the 6 speed

iTrader

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

Just messin with you,I really didn't expect you to come from pa. to buy it. usually people will only travel for something very special, usually big dollar, super rare stuff,The car is sold anyway,I still have it, I just have to apply for the title on tues,because i never registered it.
    I've always been a stick guy, but i definetly like the convertered auto better, in LS1 cars, I'm not just saying that because i have an auto ,because i also have an m6,And my nicer car is the m6 so i should be singing It's praises,but my auto z not only is faster then the m6 SS it FEELS Much Faster,and I worry less about braking it,Any time,you step on the gas that computer puts it in the right gear + you have imediate full power ,not so in the m6, if your not in the right gear,right in the power band you got nothing,also in a light to light race i'll take the auto anytime.
    Thats not to put down the m6, they have their strong points too.My SS is more valuable because of it,for one. The sound is another.The Image or Cool factor is another.If I could only have one It would probably be the m6 but,having both I like the auto better.with this much power, the gears,The converter + the shift kit it's more fun then the m6,If it wasn't such an awesome tire burner, i probably wouldn't think so,but it is.
    It's too bad the auto gets such a bad rap in these cars.
    I think its the yet to be discovered by the masses better set up.I think the more powerful the vehicle the better the auto becomes.
    When i sell the z its to get another SS, + i'm looking for an another auto, but it scares me because i know it will be a problem when i go to sell it. I swear people called me up on the Z JUST to tell me, they would buy it if it was a m6.
    Did anybody on this sight, specifically look for an automatic when they bought theirs, or was it price + convenience,(because it was right in front of you)that was the deciding factor.Just trying to get a feel if anybody ever actually looks for an auto, in these cars.
    I did but only after driving numerous cars with both tranny's, + each time feeling that the auto FElT muuch faster ,even if it actually wasn't.
    Does anybody else have both trans, if so whats your thoughts on the differences.
    I'm kinda on this kick again because i'm thinking on buying another auto, but am leary.
    which leads me to the new thread i'm going to start in a minute. About an SS i found.
    PS. In case i didn't mention it i like the auto's better. Thats a joke i just reread this + ithink i said it about 10 diff times.

iTrader
    yes ill admit that auto is better for racing but i just get bored when im cruising in an auto i even have a beater thats stick just because of the pure fact that i get bored driving auto but when it comes to the strip id take the auto over the stick anyday but i hit the track maybe two or three times a year so for cruising and smoking the imports im going stick

iTrader

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

But Do you have both trans , where you can get out of one + then drive the other for a while,+ really feel both for a period of time ,one after he other? What is less boring about the stick? once you've let out the clutch, + then have shifted into second,it's kind of all over, as far as exciting shifting goes, Maybe, if you have super low gears, the second to third, shift could be a little exciting, but every time i spend time in the m6 then in the auto,I find my self wanting to get back in the auto for the next session.Its not that I don't like the stick cars I do, I just feel the auto's in these cars work so much better then the auto's in other brands that they are really under appreciated in the camaro. Without the 323's, shift kit + converter, along with the louder then stock exhaust note,it probably wouldn't be the same,but i actually find it Less boring in that auto set up then the m6, + believe me I've always been a man. trans guy.
    I also think that if i put diff tires + all of a sudden it wasn't such a tire burner,(IT has really sticky soft compound toyo's on it now) that might change my mind,but i love briging it up to about 2500 rpm in low, + nailing it just as it clicks into second,with the shift kit,+ taking off sideways in 2nd,or anhiliating them fom a dead stop,for 150 ft or so, I live in the second hilliest city in the US. + its even more fun on some of these long steep hills, just slowly creeping up them 20mph or so, just stepping on it + putting down A couple hundred feet of posi,s , they spin so hard you are bouncing off the rev limiter so you have to be feathering the gas on + off to keep it going + it just seems to go on forever, As you can tell i love smoke shows, doing + watching them,(the sound + smell Ahhh paradise).
    So maybe thats why i like my a4 better,I can put down rubber with the m6 SS also but nothing like the Z's auto,
    I'll be bummed if i sell this one get an a4 SS and it doesn't do the same, not because its an ss,but just a diff auto set up.
    Now that that has been said,I don't think the auto can compare to the mystique that the 6-speed carries,or the sound of bringing up the revs a little to get the car rollng as you leave the driveway, or pulling into the cruise night parking lot etc. I just feel the auto is being unjustifiably slighted.But one good thing about that is they can be had cheaper.

iTrader
    well i live in pa so there are alot of winding roads i love being able to downshift manually into second and nail the gas coming out of a corner get it a little sideways then slam that shit into third gear and take off i just feel that you have more control with stick ill never put an a/t down cuz at the track they kick ass but on the street ill take stick cuz i feel when your flat shifting on the street you can hit it a little quicker then the a/t shifting the problem with the stick at the track mainly is the launch if you get that down you can keep up with an a/t granted you are good at shifting i had a 94 camaro that was auto and it was great i loved that car but its only flaw was the a/t and my bro's ta is auto which i drive alot and i found myself driving my beater saturn more then the camaro in the summer just cuz its stick i dont know i guess i just love being in control of the shifts instead of relying on the comp to do it

iTrader

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

Shifts can also be controlled with the auto shifter, + with the shift kit,its very precise,very predictable, imediate shifts, not like an auto without the shift kit where there is a yaaaaw in between shifts.
    And on the street, light to light is where they really shine,No great launch procedure to learn + hope you get right, never a missed shift.
    The flash on steroids couldn't outshift an auto with shift kit,Its just bang its in the next gear.

iTrader

SOM
    1998 Pontiac Formula

I love it when I line up against an auto at the light. It's not my first day running a manual though. I have a friend with an 01 ss auto, and his car hits pretty hard out of the hole. I am impressed with them these days. think it may come down to driver.
    Sorry to break in, just keeping up on this thread, waiting out the snow.

iTrader

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Car have a clean title? Any pics yet? Ever raced? What brand headers?

iTrader
    yes this is very true and i wouldnt mind havin auto but i prefer to get stick so i dont get bored again and sell this car too everybody has there own prefrence but you did make some very good points that people that cant decide should read about dam i could imagine how much controversy this would start as a thread lol

iTrader

SOM
    1998 Pontiac Formula

Yes as far as I know my cars title is clean, I don't have pics up yet. We had some ice/snow come through the last few days and it hasn't been sunny to get a true color of the car. In the shade it looks maroon, but in the sunlight you can get more of the orange. Also with the tranny controversy yes I'm sure everyone has an opinion, I think it's about equal, they both have there strong and weak points.

iTrader

SOM
    1998 Pontiac Formula

Went out in the cold and got a photo. sorry the car isn't clean but it's 15 degrees out right now. Here it is in the sun, that's the color. Oh and the headers are Hooker.

iTrader

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

Would that color be considered Clear or Transparent?
    It's kinda hard to tell, from this angle.
    QS!
    Ps. QS means quietly snickering, not quite lol-ing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information