iTrader

can someone help a kid out

i am looking desperatly for a 99 or up trans am with the ws6 package. there is one close to my house but it has 135000 miles on it and the right headlight wont come up. i've looked at it and driven it a couple of times and each time i want to buy it but those miles and cosmetic dammage keep holding me back. can anyone tell me what the engine life for this car is, how easy the headlight would be to fix or have a 99 or up TA ws6 for sale under 10,000$.

can someone help a kid out

iTrader

silver
    1999 Civic

All I can tell ya is...

that is pretty high miles for any F-body... but the LS1 is definitely the strongest engine, and if you are willing you can always start with a new engine when need be, same with the transmission. If the body is in great shape then I say try and get it...for a good deal of course.... Also the headlight is probably the motor which costs between 200-300 dollars to replace one motor from the dealership generally. This can obviously vary and if you are real lucky, and the motor still runs and you hear a grinding... then all you need is a new gear...which is like 45-50 bucks...and a few hours of annoyance.

iTrader
    thank you great deal though 8000

iTrader

silver
    1999 Civic

Yeah man...

go for it definitely if you say it runs good, then just get as much life out of the engine and tranny that are in it now... and go from there.... could always do something crazy like throw in the LS6 when the LS1 dies, or something like that, who knows, but the ideas are plenty. Good luck with it, and keep us all updated here.

iTrader
    I had a '00 WS6 TA Convertible, and the right headlight messed up on it as you are describing. I figured the motor was bad, so I took it in to the dealer (it was still under warranty) and they said the connector was corroded on it. They cleaned it, and told me it would be fine. I didn't believe them at the time, but it never messed up again. So, you should check the connectors before you replace the motor. I say buy it for sure at 8K!! Even at 100k+ miles, that is a good deal unless it's been wrecked badly, or something like that.

Offthehook
    that sounds like a good deal if the condition is nice

iTrader

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

wait on it...autotrader, usedcars, cars...i had a list of like 5 websites like this before when i was shopping for an f-body. 5 weeks of checking these sites out...and i ran into a great deal. 00 z28, leather, t-tops, new tires, cd player, ground effects kit, 3 month dealership warranty; 46,700 miles for $11,995. Car ran perfect, but there was a few cosmetic issues i dealt with like the flaking pin-stripes.

Just sit and wait for a good deal on the net, even if its 50 miles away from your house a good deal is a good deal. you simply cannot f-body search in person quicker than you can online. Another thing is that; although f-bodies sell very fast, dealerships would list them online a couple thousand off the price to entice people, since they know how much easier it is to find a good price online than in person.

A good idea when making the deal is to rather than get them on the price, fight for anything they can fix or replace for cheap (since they get good prices and own mechanics.) Don't let them know you came there specifically for the car from online (unless they offered an internet price), act as though it is the car you want, but not in the condition you wanted it in. I almost had the guy drop the price off of sub wires in the back (told him subs rattle out bolts), lol. New tires, paint, ect. Another thing is GET A CARFAX AND A LIST OF WHAT THEY FIXED AND CHANGED! I gotta carfax, but they never gave me a list of what they did to it when they got it. Turned out they didnt even change the oil, so I had 6000 miles on that.

Hope this helps, good luck to you.

iTrader
    can anyone give me any other sites other than autotrader or ebay for find reasonibly priced trans ams or camaros

iTrader
    Quote Originally Posted by 99civicex
    go for it definitely if you say it runs good, then just get as much life out of the engine and tranny that are in it now... and go from there.... could always do something crazy like throw in the LS6 when the LS1 dies, or something like that, who knows, but the ideas are plenty. Good luck with it, and keep us all updated here.
    the only difference between the ls1 and ls6 is heads, cam, and a manifold.. if the ls1 is pre 01. there would be no point in spending money when the engine goes to throw that in there. it would be cheaper and more powerful to rebuild with forged parts, possibly stroke it, and put a better cam and heads on then buy an ls6.

iTrader
    Quote Originally Posted by cbass3971
    can anyone give me any other sites other than autotrader or ebay for find reasonibly priced trans ams or camaros
    www.cars-on-line.com

or buy my ls1, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1

Thread Information