Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mcbarnes03

You are all on DRUGS... LT1 Camaro SUCKS

I cannot believe how you all prop this thing up. It's the most agrevating pile of cramped crap I've ever come accross. From the piece of shit OPTI whatever to the damn screws that hold it in. Hell, I can't even get my brand new jack under this complete piece of shit. You guys think because the motor runs OK (when it's running) that this is a hot rod? Man you should be able to work on your hot rod, without a thousand different little bull crap tools in order to have fun with a car. LT1's SUCK!

Black
    SLP Camaro SS

Have you had problems with your OPTI Spark too?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I forsee this thread lasting a long time.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Black
    99 SS

long live the opti

mcbarnes03

Problems... huh, huhhuh,, huh!!!!!

Yes, I made the fatal mistake of powerwashing my engine. Right after this piece of crap dies on me. I ask the local shop for a quote on a tune-up, THIS is where I shit in my pants. $1300 for a tune-up? God O-mighty. This also is where I learned of the OPTI-SHIT. So, I say to myself, well I'm a pretty strong mechanic, I'll do it myself. OH MY GOD!!! What a freaking mistake. EVERYTHING on this car fights you. There's NOTHING that is easy. I cannot believe this thing was manufactured and sold to the public. A 12 year kid could engineer things better. I bought this car for some fun.... I have had two days worth, before I broke the transmission mount, then a simple engine wash turns into $500 in parts, me making up cuss words, and my neighbors thinking I'm the REDNECK from hell.

By the way, does anyone know what I need to get these GD star head bolts out of the the OPTI CRAP? I cannot find one small enough.

Black
    99 SS

man, i know a guy who has a 96 T/A and has to this date replaced his OPTI 8 TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

camaro_ss_97_
    i have had my 97 ss lt1 for 2 years now and have had to change the opti once and it has run like a champ other than that no prolems for me. i love my LT1.

mcbarnes03

Does Anyone Know What Tool To Use For Opti??

I've been trying to get this question answered for two days. Does anyone know what tool to use to get the damn opti cap off? The little external STAR type bolt ... I don't have one small enough and neither does anyone else. WHAT TO DO?
    Last edited by mcbarnes03; 11-06-2005 at 12:10 PM.

Medium Quasar Blue
    1996 Camaro Z28

The LT1 is a very stout motor, capable of large amounts of abuse while maintaining reliability. It is however very difficult to perform even the most diminutive upkeep tasks on and quite costly to have somebody else do the work. That is why I went out and bought a different car, really did enjoy the LT1 though. Sorry, I did my optispark but I can't remember what size that head is, been a while.

1994 25th Anniversary T/A

I'll give you $500 bucks for your piece of crap car that you have.....Since you hate it so much.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by mcbarnes03
    I cannot believe how you all prop this thing up. It's the most agrevating pile of cramped crap I've ever come accross. From the piece of shit OPTI whatever to the damn screws that hold it in. Hell, I can't even get my brand new jack under this complete piece of shit. You guys think because the motor runs OK (when it's running) that this is a hot rod? Man you should be able to work on your hot rod, without a thousand different little bull crap tools in order to have fun with a car. LT1's SUCK!
    Tone it down or you're banned and this thread is locked.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

What's an OPTI?

mcbarnes03
    What's an OPTI?

GOOD one. Your obviously smarter than me, you bought a later model without this junk.

mcbarnes03
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS
    Tone it down or you're banned and this thread is locked.
    Sorry, but I didn't get any worse than many of your other posts.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Ugh, OK. Seriously what's an OPTI?

mcbarnes03
    Oh, it's the distributor type that comes on camaros with the LT1. Not sure excatly what models have it, but I know my 1994 has it, and you have to pull the waterpump, and harmonic balancer to even get to the Opti-Spark distributor. It's awful.

LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley711
    Ugh, OK. Seriously what's an OPTI?
    Just say that word around lt1 owners and watch their face

Whats the point of this thread, eactly? Go vent to people that care. We know the LT1 isnt a hotrod motor, and the fbody isnt a hotrod frame, but any idiot should know that every general production car since the early 70's... pfft nevermind, its not even worth it. Next please.

mcbarnes03
    Whats the point of this thread, eactly? Go vent to people that care. We know the LT1 isnt a hotrod motor, and the fbody isnt a hotrod frame, but any idiot should know that every general production car since the early 70's... pfft nevermind, its not even worth it. Next please.

TO GRANDKODIAK: I GUESS YOUR "ANY IDIOT".

1994 25th Anniversary T/A

Quote Originally Posted by mcbarnes03

TO GRANDKODIAK: I GUESS YOUR "ANY IDIOT".

Just because you don't have the mentality, or the technical know how, to work on this motor don't go around bashing anyone else that does. If you don't like it, sell the car and go buy a mustang that any "IDIOT" can work on. If my girlfriend can understand the opti then anyone can.

Thread Information