Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

silver
    89 BII, 02 SS

Will an LT1 make a good start

Will an LT1 make a good start into the F-Body world for me ? I've only been looking at the ls1 camaros/tas an they are quite expensive. Recently I found a 95 z28 with pretty low mileage that fits right into my budget, it's only $7,000. It's a 6 speed SLP optioned car ? Seems to have a hurst shifter ? Is this normal for this car/year ? I know these options were available on the ls1 model cars but had no idea about the lt1's.

Awaiting Activation
    I would just save your $$ and get a LS1, but a LT1 is a great place to start.

i don't know what you mean by a SLP optioned car. SLP didn't deal with the 4th gen camaros until '96 with the return of the SS. I think the hurst would have to be aftermarket.

I think it matters mostly on the car condition. I would try to get the LS1 if you can, but I wouldnt buy any f-body with over 100k on it, ls1 or lt1.

Unless your going to go to the drags all the time, your not going to feel much difference in the LS1 and LT1 anyway. THe LS1 pulls a little better at very high rpms, like highway speeds, but how often do you race someone down a highway.

I think the over all condition of the car is most important. I had a 2000TA once, and I don't miss any sotp horsepower difference. In fact when I traded my 96 Black WS6 formula for the 2000TA, the TA was real floaty in the suspension and the sound was not as tough. So, it didnt feel as sporty although after I drive it a while, I could tell the high revs were better. So, the difference is small.. Just get what you can afford, when you need it, and look around for the cleanest car. PLus i'd avoid buying a car that has been tweaked a lot like these guys do on here. haha

Over all, an LS1 would probably be a better choice, but if the LS1 is ragged out, then dont get it. That would be stupid. But the same is true for an LT1, if its ragged out, dont buy it. And the older the car, the less the retail. And the more trashed it is, the cheaper it should be. 7,000 seems to be a pretty high price for a 95 camaro. Check the NADA then lower the price by a few thousand dollars.. NADA used to be the gauge. But today, retail seems to be quite a bit less than NADA. And dont go by Kelly blue book. They used to be more fluffed up than NADA. Never give more than NADA for sure for any car. Cars in the recent few years, have not been reselling for as much as what NADA specified. Blame it on the economy if you want. Seems many areas have been hit since 2001. But if you get a 95 camaro, i'd definately modify the intake and things like that. It will help the HP.
    Last edited by Chad97z; 02-10-2007 at 11:54 PM.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Just get the style you like better. The LT1 & LS1's look a good deal different on the front. I liked the LT1 camaro's better & the LS1 T/A better compared to their other styles. They both have their benifits and draw backs. I don't miss the LT1 optispark, but I don't like the LS1 piston slap either.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I have had both LT and LS. IMO, the LT is way more fun driving around, light to light. The instant torque is unforgetable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    Just get the style you like better. The LT1 & LS1's look a good deal different on the front. I liked the LT1 camaro's better & the LS1 T/A better compared to their other styles. They both have their benifits and draw backs. I don't miss the LT1 optispark, but I don't like the LS1 piston slap either.

Thats kinda funny, because I actually like the 97 WS6 TA with ram air more than the LS1 TA, but on the camaro's, I'm sorta of undecided. I like the LS1 camaros front bumper and headlights better, but I don't like the LS1 ram air hood. They don't look as aggressive as mine. Look left. haha

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Chad97z View Post
    Thats kinda funny, because I actually like the 97 WS6 TA with ram air more than the LS1 TA, but on the camaro's, I'm sorta of undecided. I like the LS1 camaros front bumper and headlights better, but I don't like the LS1 ram air hood. They don't look as aggressive as mine. Look left. haha
    Yeah, that is funny. I am more partial to the 97 SS look. Yeah, I like my 98 but the 97 was one bad as lookin car. If I had it my way, I would have my Black 97SS again with an LS1 engine. Every time I see your avatar, it makes me wish I still had my 97!

its just a camera trick, its not really that good lookin.. actually, just paint your air intake on the nose back to black.. haha I think it looks better with the black, than all red. oh well.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I'd take an LS1 WS6 over any other f-body any day.

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Yeah, that is funny. I am more partial to the 97 SS look. Yeah, I like my 98 but the 97 was one bad as lookin car. If I had it my way, I would have my Black 97SS again with an LS1 engine. Every time I see your avatar, it makes me wish I still had my 97!
    I agree so much!! My favorite is a '97 SS. If they came with the LS1 it would be the car i have right now.

Doom, I feel that the LT1 is an excellent platform for you to start off with. I came from the world of L98's (350-TPI), and the LT1 was quite the upgrade (as far as engine swaps went). There is plenty of aftermarket parts to go with, and with today's cam and cylinder head technology, the sky is the limit as to how fast you want to go...

Get the car, you wont regret it!

black
    94 z28

like they said pick the body you like the ls is not a whole lot faster and you can build a lt as far as you want with lots of bolt on shit to ive got a 94 z28 and before i pulled the motor i racked up 245000 miles and it still runs good but i took good care of it

Green
    1997 ws-6

if you personally want to work on your car buy an ls car but if you are looking to save money buy an lt car. i have general mechanic knowledge and i really cant do much to my lt car. i had to pay to have the headers installed. if you have the money to pay a mechanic to change your plugs and wires then dont worry bout it. if you buy an lt car you will notice that there is little to no room to work on them.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
    if you personally want to work on your car buy an ls car but if you are looking to save money buy an lt car. i have general mechanic knowledge and i really cant do much to my lt car. i had to pay to have the headers installed. if you have the money to pay a mechanic to change your plugs and wires then dont worry bout it. if you buy an lt car you will notice that there is little to no room to work on them.
    LS1's are a little easier to work on. I had a 97 now I have a 98.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
    No kidding. No room to change plugs, wires, or install headers. After I got done with doing those, I had no skin on my knuckles and cuts up my arms. But it was worth it.

Green
    1997 ws-6

its worth it but its a hard thing to do and if he is looking to save money in the long run and doesnt have a garage full of tools he should get an ls1. my friend just bought a 98 z28 for 7k it has 115k on it but i have seen them for sale for 8k with 70+. that would probably be the best bet.

blk
    ?

i personally do not like changing plugs and wires on the ls1- f bod...it would seem harder to me to install headers on the ls1 also.....but once the headers are on its easier

Green
    1997 ws-6

im thinking you must have the ls1 and the lt mixed up and im sure everyone will agree.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Neither are really easier than the other. The passenger side is cramped on the LT1 while the driver's side is a tighter fit on the LS1. But wires should be easy as hell the change on an LS1 with the coils sitting on top of the covers.

replacing plugs is not that hard on these cars. Just get the right swivel tool and extensions and know where to put your arm, and you'll hit it every time. As far as "starting off" with this or that.. I'd just get the one you want from the beginning. Don't switch. It won't be worth it. Either do one or the other. Like why buy and LT1 then go to the LS1 and do it all over again? PLus, like others have stated, I also enjoyed my 96 ws6 formula more driving around town than my 2000 WS6 TA. Whatever you choose, in all things, it will always cost you more if you do it twice. Like for example, when I was a kid, I used to just settle for the cheaper Car stereo rather than the nicer one. But then after I bought the cheaper one, in a while I really wanted the nicer one with more features. And I always wanted the nicer stereo, but then when I could afford it, I bought the nicer stereo. So actually, instead of buying it the first time, I ended up spending twice as much because that same desire to have the nicer one never left me. And so I just bought the nicer one later and you get the picture. But comparing and LT1 and an LS1 is sort of like that but not totally. Because like I said, I actually felt more torque at lower revs than the ls1 but the ls1 does produce more hp at the top end. But a lot of hp can be gained at higher revs on the LT1 by installing headers which allow a higher volume of air to flow which really comes into play at high rpms. You can put headers on a LS1 too, but I thin kthe LT1s have a more restrictive exhaust, so there is more to gain when modded.

And both LS1 and LT1 have about the same cubic inches, the spark delivery is different but as long as the gas is ignited by the spark plug, it doesnt matter how it does it if your goal is only horsepower. Gas explodes the same in an LS1 as it does in an LT1. The cyclinders are nearly the same size, the LS1 block is lighter, but their bodies are heavier so that wont effect the horsepower either. So in my opinion, other than heads, all you need to do is open the intake and exhaust and you'll be neck and neck with an LS1 anyways. Most that can be done with almost free mods. haha And if you really wanna thump an LS1 (like 360hp+), just get a set of heads and a custom program. So just pick one or the other but dont do all that work to an LT1 then switch over.

Ok I'm waiting for the attacks now.
    Last edited by Chad97z; 02-16-2007 at 10:05 AM.

Thread Information