Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Will an LT1 make a good start

This is a discussion on Will an LT1 make a good start within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; i just came up on my lt1 firebird for 2000.. the only thing is the trans needs rebuild...engine sounds mean ...

blk
    ?

i just came up on my lt1 firebird for 2000..the only thing is the trans needs rebuild...engine sounds mean all stock...but i bought it the first day it posted....leather interior,strait body...

Driving as fast as I can dafaic's Avatar

Silver
    97 TA M6

drove past a nice looking 78k mile green z28 with k&n cai, B&M shifter, and flowmaster muffler. Really nice looking but the guy wanted $10k for it. I told him he was nuts and he wouldn't find anyone willing to pay that. He said well it's 2k less than i paid for it 5 years ago so someone is getting a deal. Anyway if i was looking at buying a 7k car i would look at lt1's if i was looking at buying a $10k car it would be a ls1. But a $7k lt1 with $3k in maintence and bolt ons is going to be faster than a $10k stock ls1 then you still have all the manitenance you'll have to do cause one of the reasons they are selling it so they don't have to pay $500 to have the plugs changed.
    Click for full size
    lt4 hot cam, l.e. heads, gold 1.6rr, hooker lts, 3"ypipe, hookercatback, no cats, subframes, b&m ripper, k&n cai, msd6a-coil-opti, udp, tr55 g's, ta girdle, 4.10's, boxed control arms, Madz28 tune, specstg3, alum. elbow. No traction

Silver
    97 TA M6

and if i was in the market for a fbody with $7-$10k to spend I would buy this

http://racingjunk.com/post/806966/1...W-AND-FAST.html

right now. If your not in a hurry (which is the biggest thing) you can always find a deal somewhere. I got lucky and found my deal 30 miles away.

blk
    ?

well im probly gona buy a trans for 1200 and then buy a stall seperate...so $1500 +$2000=3500 dollars for the whole car....and the trans will be fully built..thats a deal...BUT IM WORRIED ABOUT IT BEING THE BABY Lt1..i mean i got it for so cheap...it looks like the lt1...but something has to be up with it...and the motor looks like it was just installed.....

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

No, way, forget the people who will judge you for it being an LT1. This basic style of engine has been around for a long time.... It has proven itself reliable!

blk
    ?

id be pissed if it was a caprice 4.3 litre

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by stunna-shades View Post
    id be pissed if it was a caprice 4.3 litre
    Well, the Caprice 5.7 Litre LT1 had steel heads

Silver
    97 TA M6

yeah the local guys around here respect my lt1 or atleast they talk it up alot while I am around...Went to autozone today and my buddy with the 414 ls1 was telling one of his friends about my car when i walked in and how hard it ran...The lt1's hold their own. I watched some vids recently and in the 1/8 mile there isn't much difference between a ls1 and a lt1 and a 1/4 mile is less than a 1/2sec. Now a ls1 will respond better to a cam only swap hence my buddy with 414 fully tuned and my heads and cam withouta tune was 351.8. After the opti and gears go in off to the dyno to see what she is putting down...

Black
    2001 Z28

you can get a really nice lt1 for around 7 grand as you said even with low miles around 50,000. The only problem I have with LT1s they seem to break a lot more then LS1s. I guess if it's in a great condition go for it.

Green
    1997 ws-6

i bought my 97 ws6 10 months ago with 57k from the original owner. he was a retired navy officer and was old. the car was still like new when i bought it. i had to do a complete tune up on it after bringing to the track a few times but i got it for 8500 which i think is a good deal for a car thats mint and never been abused.

blk
    ?

the lt1 would seem like it breaks more if it has hella miles on it or was abused...i have seen many ls1's fail...and i will take my chances and if oil pressure drops im shutting her down...so the rebuild will be cheaper......no need in catastrophic failure....

Attending F-Body Expert Herloss's Avatar
    Beverly Hills, Malibu, Laguna Beach, Hollywood....I WISH.

Triple White Convertible
    1997 WS6 'Vert Trans Am

I find it funny to hear so many people debate the LT1 VS. LS1 and how there are all the totally obvious power differences. I have owned several LS1 cars, Trans Am and Z28's. I have a LT1 WS6 now, and have had another LT1 powered TA. And I am telling you, I personally see NO -repeat, NO discernable difference between a STOCK LS1 and LT1 (non ram air or SS) car. There is too little to even tell when driving.

Now, if you have a Ram Air or SS LT or LS 1, naturally, there is a difference between them (vs. a non WS6 or SS). Would I recommend one or the other to someone looking to buy? NOPE. I say find the Fbody you LIKE, the style / year / options you like & can afford.......... and get it.

Surely other people disagree...... but I am telling you, I have A LOT of experience and I state my findings as above.

HL
    1997 Triple White Trans Am WS6 Convertible.....32K ORIGINAL MILES.

1989 Corvette....79K ORIGINAL MILES. Red, Targa Top, Straight Induction,

If it isn't a Trans Am, it isn't gonna get her wet.
    The Bandit started me, Knight Rider totally made me, I AM a Trans Am driver.

blk
    ?

i love all f-bodys really..but i MISS MY LS1..2002 z28 cam,boltons,315-30-18's..was my dream car and i loved the power it made.....but i can definately see myself falling in love with the iron block lt1

Green
    1997 ws-6

i dont know why everyone thinks the LT is such a joke. besides the opti which can be dealt with now i love my car. and like any who buys a muscle car there will be mods done to it. and after that a couple K in a LT1 motor and you will be hard to fuck with on the road.

blk
    ?

well its the same ol thing that happened to MOPAR back in the day...the wedge was called a piece of shit just because the hemi was better...but that dosent mean a badass wedge couldnt be made to hang with the hemi..they just came stock for stock with BIG differences

Catfish for Breakfast Bobby97SS's Avatar

white
    97 SS

LT1 cars are great. Harder to work on is relative. I work on forklifts for a living and I find the lt motor not that bad, especially compared to a 4.3 vortec in a fork lift. They suck bad, its always a blood-letting when you change plugs. And forget about getting a compression gauge on em.

blk
    ?

^^^headers should fix that

Green
    1997 ws-6

yeah i noticed allot more room to get to my plugs now that my headers are installed. still not the easiest task but easier than the stock manifolds

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby97SS View Post
    LT1 cars are great. Harder to work on is relative. I work on forklifts for a living and I find the lt motor not that bad, especially compared to a 4.3 vortec in a fork lift. They suck bad, its always a blood-letting when you change plugs. And forget about getting a compression gauge on em.
    Hey i drive a 4.3 S-10 j/k its no problem lol

After not buying the camaro (lt1) I actually kind of regret it. Especially where I live (Pensacola, FL) to me a 350 in a car is a 350. There are alot of ricers out in this area and it would had made be very proud to have owned that 350ci LT1 CHEVROLET CAMARO.

To me, there are plenty of mods that can be done to make it as fast as an LS1 car. I know this....ive test driven both and honestly couldnt tell that much of a difference. The LT1's low end torque feels a little bit better though IMO and I think it sounds better w/ an exhaust than the LS1. Its all a matter of personal preference really. But, 20-30 hp, c'mon, simple mods could easily get you there, especially in a 350.

Green
    1997 ws-6

if you live in P'cola do you ever go to Holt on Friday nights and watch the
    1/8th mile drags. also there is a Trans Am car show at Destin commons on fri-sun. you should check it out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information