Red
    1995 Trans Am 6 Speed

Who's Make of Water Pump to Use?

Putting this out for the experts to help me out. Have a 1995 Trans Am 6 speed stock. She has 104K miles and would like to replace the water pump (and OptiSpark) before they fail. These are OEM and have never been worked on before.

So whoe's brand of water pump works best with normal traffic highway driving (4 miles side roads to highway, 4 miles highway with afternoon stop N go, then 4 miles side roads to the office)? Most concern with keeping her cool in the stop N go highway driving when its 95 in the sun.

Not into street racing or doing any drag racing (at a track.) Do like to excellerate to the legal limit somewhat quickly around here (Central PA) when the light turns green (anywhere from 35 MPH to 45 MPH.)

Don't have issues at the moment, but planning out preventative maintenance on my Bird.

Thanks!

red
    95 Z28

I personally wouldnt go with an electric. Yes, they do have a couple of benefits... such as being left on after the ignition is off, and less parasitic drag on the motor. However, they can fail at any moment, and without warning (it's an electrical part, unlike the stock mechanical unit). A stock pump will typically warn you via the weephole and leaking coolant. Some other things you can do to help keep the car cool is a 160 thermostat and a manual fan switch, so you can control your fans on high OR low settings any time you want, and still retain factory fan function as well.

black
    2003 Corvette

Just been through the water pump on a 95 Z. I put on a new pump from from O'Riely's. It leaked where the hose fittings are pressed into the the casting. The bearing on the drive shaft also had a bad seal and pushed grease out. I returned the pump and got my money back. We have an IWI (Ill, Wisconsin and Iowa) parts store that sells new AC Delco pumps. I bought one of those and was very pleased with it. It was $155. On the pump drive shaft and the shaft coming out of the timing chain cover there is an o-ring. I suppose they stabilize the coupler. They are llikely to be very brittle with age. The AC Delco pump came with a new one installed on the pump. Nice feature. They look like a normal O-ring. The Chevy dealers here did not stock any. The pumps from GM list for about $404. Buying them from one of the on-line dealers is about $300. Changing the pump the 2nd time is easier. Take note (or pictures) of the items tied to the coil bolts and how the air pump bracket attaches the block and water pump.

Bruce

Red
    1995 Trans Am 6 Speed

Thanks for getting back to me. Have crossed off the electric water pump idea. In going through different on-line speed shops it seems the LT1 is a bit of an odd duck. There is only one design out there, stock design, and going with GM stock unit is best. Have a note into EVAN's company to see if they make one, but in looking at their catalog have a feeling the answer is no. Have a feeling this is by agreement as GM and EVAN's had a legal battle over cooling system patents for the LT1.

If you have a LS1, you are golden as lots of alternative out there as the motor has a covential flow design.

Unless I am wrong about EVAN, plan to go with having the local Mr. Good Wrench take care of the pump, hoses and opti-spark (with control modulal replacement) all at the same time. Thing will do a radior replacement as well since they will have it out anyway.

My goal here folks is to once and be done with it for years to come. This is a collectors car and now has 6 years of family memories on her. So unless Pontiac makes a NEW Trans Am, this on will be around for a long time.

Red
    1995 Trans Am 6 Speed

Updating earlier post. EVANS does not make a water pump for the LT1, only for the LS1.

That does it, going to stick with a GM OEM when it come time to make the change..

white
    97 z28/SS

do yourself a favor and go with stock water pump and opti!!

Red
    1995 Trans Am 6 Speed

Thanks for the confirmation, using OEM in now in the plans. Also going to have my local Chevy dealer take care of it. Why Chevy? This dealership has been taking car of my GM cars for over 12 years now including my Trans Am. They know know the TA and go running when I pull in since they get the BIG jobs to do (and do it well.) Interesting in that fellow who does the work is their Corvette person. Why? There are so few F-Bodies around in Central PA it doesn't pay to cross train others on the Lt1/LS1 AKA 350 V-8s.

To all the folks who commented, thank you!

Thread Information