93zKeith

Angry whinning fuel pump

I get a high pitch noise in my fuel pump while driving then it goes away,its very annoying can anyone tell me whats causing this, I also noticed that my garage door will not open with the garage remote with my z running is this caused by the fuel pump giving off some kind of interference? please email me at skeith395@gmail.com thanks.

My fuel pump wines pretty loud when the temperature drops, but it goes away after the car warms up... it was so loud I thought my speakers where stuck on high and getting no signal. I havent noticed it all summer though, so I'm betting it was just temperature related. *shrug*

dont know about the garage door opener though, thats actually pretty cool that your car's creating noise in the exact frequency band that the remote operates in

Awaiting Activation

Re: whinning fuel pump

How much fuel do you run normally

These pumps use the fuel to cool themselves, so if you run less than 1/4 of a tank on a regular basis you severly limit the lifespan of your pump.

93zKeith
    Thanks I thought that it may be going out but I'll just wait and see. Have any one experienced a oil leak from the front of the oil pan just minor enough to drip on garage floor, any secrets to changing the oil pan.

Green
    1998 Z28 - A4

like Grimpala said it cools itself and when run low it will tear itself apart.. but if your car is a 93 like your name states then it could be that time to slap in a new pump.. which isn't as hard as it looks.. i have changed a lot of fuel pumps on older cars and it is usuall y 10 to 11 years old.. and if it ever quits it will leave oyu stranded on the interstate with not a lot of optionsBecause that is how it always happens..

zx9r
    I need to change a fuel pump soon. Is it very difficult and do I need any special tools?

Medium Quasar Blue
    1996 Camaro Z28

Could be goin out but keep in mind that gm fuel pumps are very noisy even when new. Walk up to any chevy with an electric pump and you can hear them hummin. Just replaced mine and the new one is just as noisy as the old. I just turn up the stereo when it starts to get really annoying.

Green
    1998 Z28 - A4

about the fuel pump- replacement i just did mine about 2 weeks ago.. i used the car lift where i worked which made it a litle easier.. i took the muffler off and the two thin metal shields. took all of the exhaust supports off up to the transmission housing so i could move the exhaust pipe around. i then took the straps off and supported the gas tank.. then took the hose off and i couldn't take the tank out but i could pull it partially out so i could get to the pump which was tricky to get out and back in because you have to twist and fold the hing in it..the other way is to take the cross braces and shocks loose and lower the axle about 10 inches which allows you to take the pump out but i found it isn't neccesary butt .. there you have it.

zx9r
    Thank you. I will be doing it soon.

Thread Information