2000 ss/1994 z28/1979 z28

Whats the best cam to put in a LT1?

Am planning to change out the stock cam out of my 94 z28.

Whats the best cam out there in the market right now???

Thanks!

Umm, that depends on a lot of things. What other mods do you have? If no other mods now, what are you planning on in the future? Do you have an auto or 6 speed?

Sorry,I should of listed that.
    I have a auto trans,with no mods right now.but are planning to do some bolt-ons like pacesetter long tube headers,trick flow 58mm throttle,edelbrock intake manifold,cold air intake (not sure what brand yet).what are some other things i should put in with good gains? without hurting the bank.

I wouldn't worry about the throttle body or the Edelbrock intake, you really don't need them until you are really modded out. I would get some 1.6 roller rockers and an LT4 knock module. I wouldn't go with too big of a cam unless you want to drop some cash on a stall convertor. The GM hotcam really isn't that bad of a cam. Pacesetters, a cam, knock module, roller rockers, and a cold air intake will make it feel like a different car. The next mod I would suggest would be some 3.73's for the rear end. My CAI is just a cheap ebay kit, it works and I could tell a difference with the ass-o-meter.

Thanks for the info!

which cai do you have? and how much was it?

i was thinking about doing the cai and the headers first.What do you think?

Headers and CAI is where I would start. This link is to the same CAI that I have.http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...item56365101d8

Quote Originally Posted by 97bluebird View Post
    Headers and CAI is where I would start. This link is to the same CAI that I have.http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...item56365101d8
    Thanks again!

silver
    1996 Trans Am

Can someone explain to me the lt4 knock module and what are the benefits of it?

The LT4 knock module is not as sensitive to false knock as the LT1 module is. When you upgrade to headers and roller rockers you run a chance of creating false knock, which in turn causes the module to retard the timing, creating a loss of power.

Quote Originally Posted by 97bluebird View Post
    The LT4 knock module is not as sensitive to false knock as the LT1 module is. When you upgrade to headers and roller rockers you run a chance of creating false knock, which in turn causes the module to retard the timing, creating a loss of power.
    This might sound stupid,but where is the knock module located?

Should i change that out,even if i just change the headers?

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by camaro2000ss View Post
    Sorry,I should of listed that.
    I have a auto trans,with no mods right now.but are planning to do some bolt-ons like pacesetter long tube headers,trick flow 58mm throttle,edelbrock intake manifold,cold air intake (not sure what brand yet).what are some other things i should put in with good gains? without hurting the bank.

The throttle body and intake manifold you dont need right now. A good cold air intake (I personally wouldnt get a cheap one), headers, and catback exhaust are a good place to start. Some people prefer to run no cat, I prefer a high flow cat because you're not hardly giving up any power, and the car doesnt smell so bad or sound more raspy.

As far as a cam, the GM hotcam kit gets you most of the big stuff you need, such as the cam, roller rockers, valve springs, etc. You would also need a few new gaskets, new valve seals, new timing chain if you have alot of miles, maybe new pushrods, etc. With a cam, a custom computer tune is a must. Might also want to consider an aftermarket trans cooler and eventually a higher stall to complement the cam.

The LT4 knock module will do absolutely nothing if you have no false knock. It is cheap insurance though. It is located in the PCM under a small door that is removable.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    The throttle body and intake manifold you dont need right now. A good cold air intake (I personally wouldnt get a cheap one), headers, and catback exhaust are a good place to start. Some people prefer to run no cat, I prefer a high flow cat because you're not hardly giving up any power, and the car doesnt smell so bad or sound more raspy.

As far as a cam, the GM hotcam kit gets you most of the big stuff you need, such as the cam, roller rockers, valve springs, etc. You would also need a few new gaskets, new valve seals, new timing chain if you have alot of miles, maybe new pushrods, etc. With a cam, a custom computer tune is a must. Might also want to consider an aftermarket trans cooler and eventually a higher stall to complement the cam.

The LT4 knock module will do absolutely nothing if you have no false knock. It is cheap insurance though. It is located in the PCM under a small door that is removable.

Have you heard of people just putting the long tube headers on with just a y-pipe and turndowns,nothing else?

Will that hurt anything? Or will it just sound loud?

red
    95 Z28

Probably wont hurt anything, but any time you have the exhaust exit underneath the car it will be obnoxiously loud.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Probably wont hurt anything, but any time you have the exhaust exit underneath the car it will be obnoxiously loud.
    Thats what i was thinking.

Thanks!

Also,
    I am buying the non egr long tube headers,besides buying the block-off plate what else do i need?

You will need a tune or the CEL will stay on all of the time.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

You will want a tune. If you get rid of the cats or go to high flow cats the car will run a little rich at low RPM's and lean at high RPM's so a tune will balance it all out again. No matter what, long tubes will need a tune if you plan on stopping thier. if you are going to do a cam swap or anything else soon after it could wait but not to long.

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    You will want a tune. If you get rid of the cats or go to high flow cats the car will run a little rich at low RPM's and lean at high RPM's so a tune will balance it all out again. No matter what, long tubes will need a tune if you plan on stopping thier. if you are going to do a cam swap or anything else soon after it could wait but not to long.
    Who's a good tunner near the vegas area?

Thread Information