Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

green
    94 z28

What would it take for a 94 z28 to beat a 07 sti?

I was wondering what it would take to beat a 07 sti in a drag race. I have a 94 z28, so about what stats would I need to beat it? Would 375 HP and 400 ft-lb torque be enough? I haven't raced one or seen one yet, but I know with the growing trend of the wrx's around here they will come up soon.

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

You dont need that much hp to beat an sti. Full Bolt ons, Suspension work, and sticky tires should do the trick. Gears would help a lot too...3.73 for a4 and 4.10 for m6.
    If/when you race one, take em from a roll. The awd launch would get you from a dig. Stock they have no top end whatsoever.
    Good luck.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Like said above, don't race it from a dig. It will most likely eat you up out of the hole.

green
    94 z28

Well...yea, that doesn't seem to be to hard to do now that I'm only stock against a 02 wrx. It's AWD is the ony bad part, so when we already have a speed of at least 35 it's usually pretty easy.

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

AWD also eats up the hp. A stock sti has 286 at the flywheel but only about 230 whp.

green
    94 z28

Quote Originally Posted by camarolvr69 View Post
    AWD also eats up the hp. A stock sti has 286 at the flywheel but only about 230 whp.
    How does that work? I've never driven a AWD car and a lot of people around here say their WRX(02 model) has around 225 HP but it's AWD makes it feel like 300. How does AWD eat it up?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by xinthenight View Post
    How does that work? I've never driven a AWD car and a lot of people around here say their WRX(02 model) has around 225 HP but it's AWD makes it feel like 300. How does AWD eat it up?
    Ricers say a lot of things, most of which you shouldn't pay attention to.

The cold hard facts are that AWD systems sap up a lot of the power before it gets to the wheels. Much more than a RWD or FWD drivetrain. So a WRX, which has 227HP at the flywheel only puts down about 180HP at the wheels. An STI, which it rated for 300HP, only puts down 230HP at the wheels.

Your bone stock LT1 puts down about 250WHP. So if you have a M6, you will walk an STI from a roll, no problem. From a dig is where they get you though, because they can launch hard and jump ahead a few cars, and you have to have a bunch more power to reel it back in.

I suggest you do the basic bolt ons, such as intake, long tube headers, and a full exhaust (true dual is best). That combo will allow you to beat an STI from a dig.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by xinthenight View Post
    The AWD systems eat up the power because it has to move through a lot more mechanical systems before it hits the ground. Such as a trans-axle, transfer cases, and split driveshafts. As opposed to our f-bodies, with just a tranny, a single piece driveshaft, and the rear-end.

Electron Blue
    2001 Camaro Berger SS

Post Go gettum bro!

you just gotta get off the line without much tirespin. Let the tires get a hold of the tarmac, and THEN stand on it dude!

CAMARO. TRANS AM.
    TWO CARS, ONE MISSION............
    D O M I N A N C E !

but isnt an sti a turbo? and if so wouldnt a roll be a bad idea because the turbo would be spooled up?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by ichliebecamaro View Post
    but isnt an sti a turbo? and if so wouldnt a roll be a bad idea because the turbo would be spooled up?
    Umm...no.

Regardless of the turbo, it only makes 230WHP stock. Thats nothing to be scared of, especally from a roll. AWD cars generally suck from a roll and those turbo 4 bangers tend to taper off on the boost in the top end. With full intake/exhaust on an LT1 you will kill an STI in the top end.

Not to mention the turbo can't spool until he opens the throttle. So from a roll, as soon as you hit the gas you have instant power, he has to wait for his turbo to spool, putting him at a distinct disadvantage.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Not to mention the turbo can't spool until he opens the throttle. So from a roll, as soon as you hit the gas you have instant power, he has to wait for his turbo to spool, putting him at a distinct disadvantage.
    It's called brake boosting. Just like power braking an auto at the line. You can build boost in a turbo car while maintaining a roll speed. I've done in it in Evo IX. It will take off just as quick from a roll as my LT1, and I have over 300hp at the rear wheels.

This thread is full of misinformation...

Electron Blue
    2001 Camaro Berger SS

Quote Originally Posted by ichliebecamaro View Post
    actually, yes an STi IS A TURBO!

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    cai, longtubes, tune, cutout...from a roll you will take em easy with these mods...those.. + gears, dr's, stall if your auto
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    It's called brake boosting. Just like power braking an auto at the line. You can build boost in a turbo car while maintaining a roll speed. I've done in it in Evo IX. It will take off just as quick from a roll as my LT1, and I have over 300hp at the rear wheels.

This thread is full of misinformation...
    Right...and everyone who drives an STi brake boosts it on the highway

Not to mention holding the brakes at 60MPH with the throttle open seems like a genius way to destroy your pads and rotors. Thats retarded IMO.

Bottom line is driving the car normally, you will always have turbo lag from the time between when you open the throttle and actually get full boost.

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

power programmer + drag radials + cold air intake + freer-flowing exhaust= toasted sti all day long

red
    95 Z28

Right...and everyone who drives an STi brake boosts it on the highway

Not to mention holding the brakes at 60MPH with the throttle open seems like a genius way to destroy your pads and rotors. Thats retarded IMO.

Bottom line is driving the car normally, you will always have turbo lag from the time between when you open the throttle and actually get full boost.

Actually, it isnt that hard on the brakes. But I like the huge dramatization you just gave. BTW, if you're racing, you're not driving the car "normally".

Electron Blue
    2001 Camaro Berger SS

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RJWZ28 View Post
    power programmer + drag radials + cold air intake + freer-flowing exhaust= toasted sti all day long
    atta boy! You know the drill!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Actually, it isnt that hard on the brakes. But I like the huge dramatization you just gave. BTW, if you're racing, you're not driving the car "normally".
    Performance cars like STIs and F-bodies are meant to be run hard. Some WOT blasts on the highway is considered normal driving for them.

Riding the brakes at 60MPH to try and "built boost" is not normal, and its abusive to the car.

Electron Blue
    2001 Camaro Berger SS

Performance cars like STIs and F-bodies are meant to be run hard. Some WOT blasts on the highway is considered normal driving for them.

Riding the brakes at 60MPH to try and "built boost" is not normal, and its abusive to the car.
    STis are just glorified WRX rallye cars. F-Bodies are just plain mean SOBs!

Thread Information