Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

What would it take for a 94 z28 to beat a 07 sti?

This is a discussion on What would it take for a 94 z28 to beat a 07 sti? within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I was wondering what it would take to beat a 07 sti in a drag race. I have a 94 ...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    266

    green
    94 z28

    What would it take for a 94 z28 to beat a 07 sti?

    I was wondering what it would take to beat a 07 sti in a drag race. I have a 94 z28, so about what stats would I need to beat it? Would 375 HP and 400 ft-lb torque be enough? I haven't raced one or seen one yet, but I know with the growing trend of the wrx's around here they will come up soon.

  2. #2
    Member camarolvr69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    384

    Silver
    1997 camaro z28

    You dont need that much hp to beat an sti. Full Bolt ons, Suspension work, and sticky tires should do the trick. Gears would help a lot too...3.73 for a4 and 4.10 for m6.
    If/when you race one, take em from a roll. The awd launch would get you from a dig. Stock they have no top end whatsoever.
    Good luck.

  3. #3
    Pathelogical Liar BlackLT1Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,476

    Black
    94 Camaro Z28

    Like said above, don't race it from a dig. It will most likely eat you up out of the hole.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    266

    green
    94 z28

    Well...yea, that doesn't seem to be to hard to do now that I'm only stock against a 02 wrx. It's AWD is the ony bad part, so when we already have a speed of at least 35 it's usually pretty easy.

  5. #5
    Member camarolvr69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    384

    Silver
    1997 camaro z28

    AWD also eats up the hp. A stock sti has 286 at the flywheel but only about 230 whp.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    266

    green
    94 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by camarolvr69 View Post
    AWD also eats up the hp. A stock sti has 286 at the flywheel but only about 230 whp.
    How does that work? I've never driven a AWD car and a lot of people around here say their WRX(02 model) has around 225 HP but it's AWD makes it feel like 300. How does AWD eat it up?

  7. #7
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by xinthenight View Post
    How does that work? I've never driven a AWD car and a lot of people around here say their WRX(02 model) has around 225 HP but it's AWD makes it feel like 300. How does AWD eat it up?
    Ricers say a lot of things, most of which you shouldn't pay attention to.

    The cold hard facts are that AWD systems sap up a lot of the power before it gets to the wheels. Much more than a RWD or FWD drivetrain. So a WRX, which has 227HP at the flywheel only puts down about 180HP at the wheels. An STI, which it rated for 300HP, only puts down 230HP at the wheels.

    Your bone stock LT1 puts down about 250WHP. So if you have a M6, you will walk an STI from a roll, no problem. From a dig is where they get you though, because they can launch hard and jump ahead a few cars, and you have to have a bunch more power to reel it back in.

    I suggest you do the basic bolt ons, such as intake, long tube headers, and a full exhaust (true dual is best). That combo will allow you to beat an STI from a dig.

  8. #8
    Pathelogical Liar BlackLT1Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,476

    Black
    94 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by xinthenight View Post
    How does that work? I've never driven a AWD car and a lot of people around here say their WRX(02 model) has around 225 HP but it's AWD makes it feel like 300. How does AWD eat it up?
    The AWD systems eat up the power because it has to move through a lot more mechanical systems before it hits the ground. Such as a trans-axle, transfer cases, and split driveshafts. As opposed to our f-bodies, with just a tranny, a single piece driveshaft, and the rear-end.

  9. #9
    Mustang/Rice Killer SnakeEatr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    TOLEDO, OHIO
    Age
    31
    Posts
    133

    Electron Blue
    2001 Camaro Berger SS

    Post Go gettum bro!

    you just gotta get off the line without much tirespin. Let the tires get a hold of the tarmac, and THEN stand on it dude!

    CAMARO. TRANS AM.
    TWO CARS, ONE MISSION............
    D O M I N A N C E !

  10. #10
    but isnt an sti a turbo? and if so wouldnt a roll be a bad idea because the turbo would be spooled up?

  11. #11
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by ichliebecamaro View Post
    but isnt an sti a turbo? and if so wouldnt a roll be a bad idea because the turbo would be spooled up?
    Umm...no.

    Regardless of the turbo, it only makes 230WHP stock. Thats nothing to be scared of, especally from a roll. AWD cars generally suck from a roll and those turbo 4 bangers tend to taper off on the boost in the top end. With full intake/exhaust on an LT1 you will kill an STI in the top end.

    Not to mention the turbo can't spool until he opens the throttle. So from a roll, as soon as you hit the gas you have instant power, he has to wait for his turbo to spool, putting him at a distinct disadvantage.

  12. #12
    Senior Member 5.0THIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,704

    red
    95 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Not to mention the turbo can't spool until he opens the throttle. So from a roll, as soon as you hit the gas you have instant power, he has to wait for his turbo to spool, putting him at a distinct disadvantage.
    It's called brake boosting. Just like power braking an auto at the line. You can build boost in a turbo car while maintaining a roll speed. I've done in it in Evo IX. It will take off just as quick from a roll as my LT1, and I have over 300hp at the rear wheels.





    This thread is full of misinformation...

  13. #13
    Mustang/Rice Killer SnakeEatr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    TOLEDO, OHIO
    Age
    31
    Posts
    133

    Electron Blue
    2001 Camaro Berger SS

    Quote Originally Posted by ichliebecamaro View Post
    but isnt an sti a turbo? and if so wouldnt a roll be a bad idea because the turbo would be spooled up?
    actually, yes an STi IS A TURBO!

  14. #14
    HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    BURBANK
    Posts
    1,120
    cai, longtubes, tune, cutout...from a roll you will take em easy with these mods...those.. + gears, dr's, stall if your auto
    01 m6 z28 - lid / lt headers / 3' ory w no cats / flowmaster catback w 3' dmh e-cutout / nelson pcm tune

  15. #15
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    It's called brake boosting. Just like power braking an auto at the line. You can build boost in a turbo car while maintaining a roll speed. I've done in it in Evo IX. It will take off just as quick from a roll as my LT1, and I have over 300hp at the rear wheels.

    This thread is full of misinformation...
    Right...and everyone who drives an STi brake boosts it on the highway

    Not to mention holding the brakes at 60MPH with the throttle open seems like a genius way to destroy your pads and rotors. Thats retarded IMO.

    Bottom line is driving the car normally, you will always have turbo lag from the time between when you open the throttle and actually get full boost.

  16. #16
    Member RJWZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sunniest city on Earth
    Age
    31
    Posts
    612
    2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

    power programmer + drag radials + cold air intake + freer-flowing exhaust= toasted sti all day long

  17. #17
    Senior Member 5.0THIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,704

    red
    95 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Right...and everyone who drives an STi brake boosts it on the highway

    Not to mention holding the brakes at 60MPH with the throttle open seems like a genius way to destroy your pads and rotors. Thats retarded IMO.

    Bottom line is driving the car normally, you will always have turbo lag from the time between when you open the throttle and actually get full boost.

    Actually, it isnt that hard on the brakes. But I like the huge dramatization you just gave. BTW, if you're racing, you're not driving the car "normally".

  18. #18
    Mustang/Rice Killer SnakeEatr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    TOLEDO, OHIO
    Age
    31
    Posts
    133

    Electron Blue
    2001 Camaro Berger SS

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by RJWZ28 View Post
    power programmer + drag radials + cold air intake + freer-flowing exhaust= toasted sti all day long
    atta boy! You know the drill!

  19. #19
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Actually, it isnt that hard on the brakes. But I like the huge dramatization you just gave. BTW, if you're racing, you're not driving the car "normally".
    Performance cars like STIs and F-bodies are meant to be run hard. Some WOT blasts on the highway is considered normal driving for them.

    Riding the brakes at 60MPH to try and "built boost" is not normal, and its abusive to the car.

  20. #20
    Mustang/Rice Killer SnakeEatr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    TOLEDO, OHIO
    Age
    31
    Posts
    133

    Electron Blue
    2001 Camaro Berger SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Performance cars like STIs and F-bodies are meant to be run hard. Some WOT blasts on the highway is considered normal driving for them.

    Riding the brakes at 60MPH to try and "built boost" is not normal, and its abusive to the car.
    STis are just glorified WRX rallye cars. F-Bodies are just plain mean SOBs!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. got beat by a STI
    By 05gtoautoX in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-04-2008, 03:46 AM
  2. beat an sti from a dig!!!
    By jAgZ28 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-13-2008, 08:37 PM
  3. what would it take to beat a c6
    By therobman in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-10-2007, 03:34 PM
  4. the suv none of us could beat :P
    By Krazy351w in forum Multimedia Section
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-05-2007, 03:00 PM
  5. got beat by 02 SS
    By Musclefan21 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-09-2006, 01:04 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •