White
    1996 Camaro Base

V6 To A V8...Before U Say No...

Before You Say No, I am considering doing a V8 LT1 swap for many reasons, I have already done a lot to it, I'm going to be getting a custom paint job that I don't want to switch cars, Please Anyone, Back Me Up On A LT1 Swap, I know whats involved, engine,tranny,wiring,rear end,most swaps come wit all the necessities but the rear end anyways, let me know what you guys think.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

hey if you're good with auto mechanics and want to get yourself into this deep complex project, go for it, i dont know if you'll have to do any frame work? maybe someone else can tell you

hey but good luck

You could buy 4 lt1 cars for the same price after all said and done. sorry

1994 25th Anniversary T/A

At least your insurance will be cheaper. Good luck.

oo and for the same money you could implant something far stronger in there then an lt1...

Teal
    1995 Firebird

I have already done a V-6 to LT1 conversion on my 95 firebird and I bought a used LT1 and T-56 with 60,000 miles for about $2000 but by the time I got done buying all the little LT1 specific parts and sensors. I had about $5000 in it and a LOT of time wasted. It's just not worth it man. I did buy quite a few upgrades but it would have been way easier to just go out and buy a TA. Don't forget to swap the k member cause the v-6 k member won't work with the LT1. The front struts aren't strong enough also and you will have to drop the gas tank and replace the fuel pump cause the one that is in there won't flow enough fuel. If you have traction control on it you will have to take care of that cause it won't work anymore and the airbags also won't work after the swap. You need more than just the engine harness. you will have to take out all the wiring in the front nose and replace it also. One more thing when you take out the k member you will have to disconnect the brakes and then you have to swap out the ABS controller and you have to have some special tool to make your anti lock brakes work again. I had to take it to the dealership and it costs$$$ If you would like some more info just let me know I can tell you anything else you need to know. I have a couple of buddies in the auto salvage business and if you don't it is going to cost you WAY more than it cost me.
    Last edited by abel327; 04-28-2006 at 08:41 PM.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by abel327
    I have already done a V-6 to LT1 conversion on my 95 firebird and I bought a used LT1 and T-56 with 60,000 miles for about $2000 but by the time I got done buying all the little LT1 specific parts and sensors. I had about $5000 in it and a LOT of time wasted. It's just not worth it man. I did buy quite a few upgrades but it would have been way easier to just go out and buy a TA. Don't forget to swap the k member cause the v-6 k member won't work with the LT1. The front struts aren't strong enough also and you will have to drop the gas tank and replace the fuel pump cause the one that is in there won't flow enough fuel. If you have traction control on it you will have to take care of that cause it won't work anymore and the airbags also won't work after the swap. You need more than just the engine harness. you will have to take out all the wiring in the front nose and replace it also. One more thing when you take out the k member you will have to disconnect the brakes and then you have to swap out the ABS controller and you have to have some special tool to make your anti lock brakes work again. I had to take it to the dealership and it costs$$$ If you would like some more info just let me know I can tell you anything else you need to know. I have a couple of buddies in the auto salvage business and if you don't it is going to cost you WAY more than it cost me.
    And this is why everybody says dont waste your time...

White
    1996 Camaro Base

Alright Thanks Guys, I Talked To A Guy Who Builds Up Engines, He Said The 3.8 Is A Pretty Beefy Motor From Gm, and is a War Horse, I May Just Have Him Rebuild It, and Invest In Nitrous, Supercharger, and Some Bolt Ons Such as SLP Cold air Intake, and So On.... He Said and I Agree, A V6 Can Beat V8s If You Have The Right Kind of Modifications.... He Got 400HP Out of A V6, But That Was Serious Engine Work and Nitrous, and Supercharging It. In The End, thanks For The Help and Hopefully I Can Build Up My V6 To Roll With Supercharged Cobras, Newer 93+ Supras and Other Quick Coupes Let Me Know If You Think I Should Keep The V6 and Build a Sleeping V6

a 4 banger can demolish a 12 if its done right, its all about whats in it!

build the motor strong and run with an increased displacement, and pair the cam, heads and super for a matched flow and tune, toss in some nitrous and the righ suspension mods and you sure as hell could! its just gunna cost you more then it would for an lxx motor to do the same for the same $.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Or sell your car and buy a high mileage LT1 for $5k-$8k

Thread Information