Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

An update on the LT1 that was running bad

I don't know if anyone remembers me having real issues like, 2 and a half years ago with my 97 Formula, I finally got the thing figured out.

Backstory:
    The car sat a few months, on grass, for sale. Had to move it to mow, started it up, drove it til barely warm, and parked it to mow. Went to move car back to previous spot and wouldn't start. When it did start (holding it WOT), it was running rich as hell and stumbling all over itself. New plugs, wires, opti/water pump, coolant temp sensor, intake air sensor, tested MAP, cleaned IAC valve, looked for vacuum leaks. Everything that could be thought of was tried, and just about everything checked out.

Fast forward to earlier this spring. Got the car into the garage, had code scanner hooked up watching what the sensors and monitors were doing, and found out the coolant temp sensor (new sensor) was telling the PCM that the coolant temps were -40 degrees F. Well Shit, bingo. Found it, but no. The sensor was fine. The wiring was fine. The 5v signal was getting to the sensor. RUSTY CONNECTOR! Replaced the connector, and it magically ran with a normal amount of fuel! But all was not well. The car started out at idle around 1200, but as it warmed up, the idle creepe up to as high as 2000. Shit.

Fast forward to last week. Decided to try my hand at this thing again. Just started right out by going to the autoparts and getting new plugs, o2's and an idle air control valve. I started out with the IAC, and left the plugs and o2's aside. Changed out the IAC and was getting ready to do the plugs and figured to hell with it. I put the car back together and touched it off. PERFECT. The dang thing ran GREAT.

So the moral of the story...pay attention to connectors and stuff like that. I never would have guessed it, but that was what started all of my problems over 2 years ago.

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    I don't know if anyone remembers me having real issues like, 2 and a half years ago with my 97 Formula, I finally got the thing figured out.

Backstory:
    The car sat a few months, on grass, for sale. Had to move it to mow, started it up, drove it til barely warm, and parked it to mow. Went to move car back to previous spot and wouldn't start. When it did start (holding it WOT), it was running rich as hell and stumbling all over itself. New plugs, wires, opti/water pump, coolant temp sensor, intake air sensor, tested MAP, cleaned IAC valve, looked for vacuum leaks. Everything that could be thought of was tried, and just about everything checked out.

Fast forward to earlier this spring. Got the car into the garage, had code scanner hooked up watching what the sensors and monitors were doing, and found out the coolant temp sensor (new sensor) was telling the PCM that the coolant temps were -40 degrees F. Well Shit, bingo. Found it, but no. The sensor was fine. The wiring was fine. The 5v signal was getting to the sensor. RUSTY CONNECTOR! Replaced the connector, and it magically ran with a normal amount of fuel! But all was not well. The car started out at idle around 1200, but as it warmed up, the idle creepe up to as high as 2000. Shit.

Fast forward to last week. Decided to try my hand at this thing again. Just started right out by going to the autoparts and getting new plugs, o2's and an idle air control valve. I started out with the IAC, and left the plugs and o2's aside. Changed out the IAC and was getting ready to do the plugs and figured to hell with it. I put the car back together and touched it off. PERFECT. The dang thing ran GREAT.

So the moral of the story...pay attention to connectors and stuff like that. I never would have guessed it, but that was what started all of my problems over 2 years ago.

Well done sir im glad you kept at it and fixed your issues, a lesser man would not have. Now you can drive it

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

I did not want to succumb to taking it to a mechanic. I am a bit upset at the cost of replacement parts spent vs. what was actually wrong, but now I know I've got a brand new GM Opti and a new water pump in there, with new plugs and wires.

Ray Charles blue

Hey guy! PAJEFF was telling me of your troubles. I am glad you got the car running good again!

What color is your car? I saw a beautiful (from a distance) black LT1 Formula at Ackleys in Westfield the last week. Had the big ol' Formula stickers on the side but looked sweet. On my way to Wellsville I saw a nice looking purple LS1 Formula....god those cars grow on me!

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

My car used to be candy orange. The orange pigment has all but disappeared, so now it's part orange, part peach. It'll be getting repainted over this coming winter.

Thread Information