Question Unexplained knock retard.

I have done two WOT runs where the scanmaster has recorded a knock retard of 10 and 12 degrees. Other times whenever I take off from a stop the scanmaster starts to read a knock retard under very light throttle conditions and it goes up as I give the car more throttle (0.1 to about 1.8 degrees of retard). The odd thing is that some days the scanmaster will record 0 knock retard even under WOT. At first I thought it may be because the engine might be running to cold (160 T-Stat) but I know for a fact when the scanmaster recorded the 10 degrees of retard at WOT my LT1 was at operating temps. Any input on the subject would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sometimes other things can set off the knock sensor such as a new timing chain, roller rockers/cam, even the exhuast has been known to set it off! Have any of these things been changed recently? What kind of fuel are you running?

LS1ROC
    i have heard of this problem and I believe that if all things are right and i mean you have the correct gas in it and that any headers you may have installed are not rubbing the car and you have it full of antifreeze ( by that i mean any air bubbles could cause detenation by hot spots),,,,,,it could be that you need the lt4 knock sensor. I believe the lt1 knock sensor is a little too sensative. If everything is in good condition and there is no reason for the car to knock...your best bet is to go with the lt4 knock sensor. a lot of lt1 PHANTOM KNOCKS have been fixed ths way. And oh yeah make sure all the engine mounts and tranny mount is good.

Thread Information