Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Trickflow heads on an LT1

This is a discussion on Trickflow heads on an LT1 within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; summit/jegs have everything you will need, but i would purchase everything through the machine shop you are getting your work ...

red
    2000 camaro ss

summit/jegs have everything you will need, but i would purchase everything through the machine shop you are getting your work done. they like to be in control of where they get the stuff they will be working on, etc. normally you don't see machine shop prices differing from jegs/summit prices anyway. i dunno the extent of work you plan on having a machine shop do, but no matter what they like to run their own show. but by all means check the jegs prices first, if they charge you an arm and a leg more for the same parts just bring them the stuff.

If you are gonna build a 355, port the stock heads. Seek out Advanced Induction or Lloyd Elliot. Both have a head/intake/cam package to reach your goals.

400rwhp through an auto is harder to do with a 355 as opposed to a 383.

A 383 will ALWAYS make more hp and tq when setup properly over a 355.

My 383 LT1 makes close to 600HP at the flywheel and peaks at 6500 rpm on stock Opti and computer.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

400rwhp is extremely easy with a 355. It's been done so many times, I know the combos by heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne97 View Post
    400rwhp is extremely easy with a 355. It's been done so many times, I know the combos by heart.

400rwhp THROUGH A SIX SPEED is easier with a 355, with a auto....a little harder.

Red
    01 ECSB Z71 & 89 Iroc-Z

I dont know if you'd like this idea but, back when Texas Rear Turbo was still open, Dustin (co-owner) took a stock LT1 and boosted it (8psi i think) with supporting fuel upgrades, and head gaskets, and made 420whp with just LT1-Edit. Idk. It's an idea.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY View Post
    400rwhp THROUGH A SIX SPEED is easier with a 355, with a auto....a little harder.
    You sort of make it sound above and beyond to make that kind of power with a 355. True an M6 will always make more power on a dyno, but still...it's not difficult even with an A4.

A guy by the name of Alek put down 500rwhp on the dot with a 355 LT1 in his '96 SS not to long ago. And yes that was through an M6.

You sort of make it sound above and beyond to make that kind of power with a 355. True an M6 will always make more power on a dyno, but still...it's not difficult even with an A4.

A guy by the name of Alek put down 500rwhp on the dot with a 355 LT1 in his '96 SS not to long ago. And yes that was through an M6.

Not to burst your bubble, but I dont believe for one second that car made that power, he is 300 lbs lighter than my car, makes 40 more rwhp but only runs 2-3 more mph in trap speed....something doesnt add up in the math.

But nonetheless, how many more 355's have you seen make that power? Only one I know of and thats 95Bird. He rand 10.30's at 132mph with that setup. Also around 3300lbs.

Both of those cars were solid rollers.

To make 400rwhp through an auto takes about 485 at the flywheel, depending on trans, converter, rearend setup. WIth a six speed around 445.

red
    2000 camaro ss

Not to burst your bubble, but I dont believe for one second that car made that power, he is 300 lbs lighter than my car, makes 40 more rwhp but only runs 2-3 more mph in trap speed....something doesnt add up in the math.

But nonetheless, how many more 355's have you seen make that power? Only one I know of and thats 95Bird. He rand 10.30's at 132mph with that setup. Also around 3300lbs.

To make 400rwhp through an auto takes about 485 at the flywheel, depending on trans, converter, rearend setup. WIth a six speed around 445.

i dunno what that guy's trap speeds were or where you got them, so i have nothing to say about that. . . .

i've built a few 355's (with very similar setups) that rev to 7 grand that have made well over 400 wheel on a mustang chassis dyno (hydraulic roller). the most i made was in the 440's with hydrarev and a little over 600 lift, while i agree with you that most cars don't. . .(most cars aren't twistin to 7 grand). . .IMO it is certainly attainable to make 500 wheel on the inflat-o-meter (dynojet) on a good day with an excellent tune. if he has a solid roller than i'd say without a doubt 500 is attainable.
    Last edited by side2000; 02-17-2009 at 05:34 PM.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

I am not even sure he has posted a vid since the 500whp dyno run? Even so, of course we both know there are so many variables. Yes he should have more of an edge over your car with those #'s, but I have absolutely no reason to doubt anyone using Advanced Inductions products as they have proven themselves time and time again. The guys car is legit.

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post

i've built a few 355's (with very similar setups) that rev to 7 grand that have made well over 400 wheel on a mustang chassis dyno (hydraulic roller). the most i made was in the 440's with hydrarev and a little over 600 lift, while i agree with you that most cars don't. . .(most cars aren't twistin to 7 grand). . .IMO it is certainly attainable to make 500 wheel on the inflat-o-meter (dynojet) on a good day with an excellent tune. if he has a solid roller than i'd say without a doubt 500 is attainable.
    I agree with you Side 100%.

red
    95 Z28

Man... some folks think that extra 33 cubic inches in an average LT1 stroker is the only way to make a ton of power.

As for boostin a stock LT1 with 8psi... it's a crapshoot. Might last 40,000 miles, might blow up next week. roll the dice!

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Man... some folks think that extra 33 cubic inches in an average LT1 stroker is the only way to make a ton of power.
    LOL. I've had many "you can't make that with just a 355" debates over the years.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

red
    2000 camaro ss

are you asking because they messed up in their description? i couldn't find anything i thought that's what you were implying. . .

nothin' is wrong with them, they just don't flow like AFR's do. but they are good for the money.

earlier post. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    195's. i'm not a fan of trickflow, but they are both good heads. the AFR's only offer their 195's as LT4 heads, so you'd have to buy an LT4 manifold also. thats a lotta extra money vs the trickflow 195's that are already hundreds of dollars cheaper. . . . .the 180 afr's outflow the trickflow 195's as they come, out of the box. . .but are still four hund some dollars more. the 180 AFR's are LT1 style so another manifold would not have to be purchased.

bottom line: the AFR's are better heads/outflow the trickflow heads, but for the extra money not worth it unless you got some deep pockets or are gonna utilize the extra potential with a big"ger" cam.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

I was looking at the price.
    Assembled trick flow heads for $500 brand new?

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Wait no, what about these?
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
    They are assembled 195cc for $730?
    What makes it different then these?
    Those are the only assembled ones that are 195CC for the LT1 but has a huge price difference.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    Wait no, what about these?
    They are assembled 195cc for $730?
    What makes it different then these?
    Those are the only assembled ones that are 195CC for the LT1 but has a huge price difference.
    First one is sold individually, second is for the pair.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

How well does those trick flow heads go with a GM847 cam?
    Also is there any work you would reccomend to be done to those heads?
    "this is going on a forged 383 btw"

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

What combos do you have? I was thinking it would have to be about a 11.1 CR piston combo with what ever head and cam combo. I don't plan on going with NOS or boost of any kind.
    Dosn't a LE head stage 2 or 3 LT1 head cost about 2 grand or more?
    Summit has these TF heads for 1299.00 and an AFR cost about 1700. I realy am tring to get the most I can out of this budget build. That is why I am not wanting to go and spend 700 on a crank and stroke it. Also I know cast cranks dont cost that much but if I'm going to stroke it I'm going forged for personal reasons.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    What combos do you have? I was thinking it would have to be about a 11.1 CR piston combo with what ever head and cam combo. I don't plan on going with NOS or boost of any kind..
    Yep, i'm running 11:1 compression, LPE 195cc cylinder heads and ported LT1 intake, LPE-grind cam, Monoblade, Kooks long-tubes, etc. etc. The car put put down right at 440whp N/A after the LTCC swap.

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    Dosn't a LE head stage 2 or 3 LT1 head cost about 2 grand or more?

Summit has these TF heads for 1299.00 and an AFR cost about 1700. I realy am tring to get the most I can out of this budget build. That is why I am not wanting to go and spend 700 on a crank and stroke it. Also I know cast cranks dont cost that much but if I'm going to stroke it I'm going forged for personal reasons.
    I think LE is your best bet over the Trick Flows and AFR's for the power you are trying to make. I believe the LE3 kit can be had for right around 2 grand if i'm not mistaking.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Why would you take LE over TF?
    Just curious.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information