Tires 255 vs 275

Has anyone ever put on 255's instead of the factory 275's on the 9"x17" rim? I just got some new Kumho SPT's and they are nice, but I was wanting a profile that is a bit more tapered in like on the Infinity sport car. Like tapered meaning from the rim to the edge of the tread, the side wall would lean in somewhat rather than straight up or even ever so slightly out. It looks good now, but I was trying to get it more aggressive looking. hmmm Now it just looks like big fat meaty tire. Which isnt bad, but the pictures of the SPT tire on most websites makes it look more narrow at the top than near the rim. I looked on Kumho's web page and compared 255 40R17 to 275 40R17 and the 255's are about 1/2" more narrow at the top which would make the side wall effectively lean in rather than go straight up. Also notice the diameter of the tire in the 255 is slightly shorter.. Which would help a bit with a lowered car. The tires just look too bulky like my old coopers... The chart I have posted says the 275 will mount on a 11" rim too. Wild. I wonder why GM puts such a large tire on these cars? See pics below. Maybe by the time I get 50 yo, I'll have a fine tuned car. Gee.

my tire (crappy pic in the garage, not enough room)
    Last edited by Chad97z; 09-17-2007 at 09:20 PM.

red
    95 Z28

The picture of yours is how it should look. IMO, ideally your sidewall should be overall vertical. To me that indicates a tire that is on the proper size wheel, and will produce the best and most level/consistent footprint.

Thanks, you're right, most camaros have it like mine. But I was going for something a bit more like the red one. The silver car is sort of like what I was going for, but I thiink its hard to tell in that pic. The red car would be more of what I was trying to get minus the 18" or 19" rim aspect.. The SPT mfg pictures looks more like the red car, but due to sizing, I think mine doesnt look the same.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

it looks like the red car has a built in rim protector. it will make the sidewall look tapered.

My tires have a rim protector too, but the tire is so wide, you can't tell it's there. see?

Last edited by Chad97z; 10-06-2007 at 08:57 AM.

Check out this car. I was just scanning the camaros forsale on ebay and found this car that really is probably worth 45k if you look at the pics underneath the car and in the engine compartment and trunk and interior. Totally amazing.. However, I really read about this car and I can tell this guy is so detail oriented that I even noticed the tire size! He has 245's on the front and 275's on the rear. I know its hard to tell, but you can tell a slight difference in the shape of the side wall by putting on a slightly more narrow tire on the same size rim. So the profile changes! I like the profile of the 245's more than the 275's. The 275's are really too "bulky" and not as contour and smooth looking. And the stick out from the rim slightly more. On the 245's the "rim protector" is more noticable and creates a different profile. This tempts me to sell these new 275's and get the 245's for all 4. I knew I wasn't smoking crack. =) It's all about details.
    Last edited by Chad97z; 10-06-2007 at 08:55 AM.

Thread Information