Thread: TB install

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

TB install

Ok, long story...someone broke into my car and stole all my intake bolt-ons. They ripped the throttle body off the manifold and took everything down to my K&N Intake. So, I am shopping for new parts again and am very depressed right now.
    Anyways, never had to replace a TB before and I could probably do it if I took it off, but it got jacked. And I don't want to mess up anything, so I need some help. I especially don't want to mess up setting up the throttle cable properly, so any advice would be good. I don't have any parts yet, but I'm looking at a 52mm TB with air foil off ebay for around $200. Thanks guys.

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    Ok, long story...someone broke into my car and stole all my intake bolt-ons. They ripped the throttle body off the manifold and took everything down to my K&N Intake. So, I am shopping for new parts again and am very depressed right now.
    Anyways, never had to replace a TB before and I could probably do it if I took it off, but it got jacked. And I don't want to mess up anything, so I need some help. I especially don't want to mess up setting up the throttle cable properly, so any advice would be good. I don't have any parts yet, but I'm looking at a 52mm TB with air foil off ebay for around $200. Thanks guys.
    omg im sorry dude!...thats seriously terrible, man if i woulda caught someone doin that they'd def be dead...its pretty easy actually...its just four bolts on the intake manifold...and then underneath the tb theres a plate that has to be taken off and transfered to the new tb....however be careful cause coolant will leak out....if u did the tb bypass allready then it wont...but if havent then put some rags down there so the opti doesnt take a bath

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

That's the problem...(long story)...
    I went out to start the car because it was a nice day and I was going to take care of an exhaust leak I've had for awhile. I park it outside during the winter because I have a beater truck. The car is even under a custom cover with a lock. Anyways, I get it and start it and the RPM's shoot up towards redline FAST. So I shut it off and think the opti went haywire. So I turn it off, give it a second, then start it up again. Same thing. Then I hear coolant hitting the concrete. So I turn it off and pop the hood. I look to see what's wrong, and my entire intake tract is gone. And they ripped off the throttle body from the manifold. So, there's coolant everywhere, hoses laying on the engine and its a whole mess. But luckily, there doesn't seem to be any physical damage to anything. Just my heart's been torn out of my chest. So, quite possibly, the opti got soaked when the coolant went everywhere. But I won't know for sure until I get a TB to control air flow so I can try and start the car. But I do plan on doing the TB bypass since all the hoses are off. I just don't know where all the hoses go right now because they are all disconnected. But I'll take a closer look later.

HUNTER S. THOMPSON FAN Raoul-Duke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    That's the problem...(long story)...
    I went out to start the car because it was a nice day and I was going to take care of an exhaust leak I've had for awhile. I park it outside during the winter because I have a beater truck. The car is even under a custom cover with a lock. Anyways, I get it and start it and the RPM's shoot up towards redline FAST. So I shut it off and think the opti went haywire. So I turn it off, give it a second, then start it up again. Same thing. Then I hear coolant hitting the concrete. So I turn it off and pop the hood. I look to see what's wrong, and my entire intake tract is gone. And they ripped off the throttle body from the manifold. So, there's coolant everywhere, hoses laying on the engine and its a whole mess. But luckily, there doesn't seem to be any physical damage to anything. Just my heart's been torn out of my chest. So, quite possibly, the opti got soaked when the coolant went everywhere. But I won't know for sure until I get a TB to control air flow so I can try and start the car. But I do plan on doing the TB bypass since all the hoses are off. I just don't know where all the hoses go right now because they are all disconnected. But I'll take a closer look later.
    man...words cant describe wat ur goin through....buy a gun,lol

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

It definately sucks. But I cooled down and went out there this morning to take a look at everything and replace some of the hardware they took. I went to the dealership and got 4 new valve cover bolts and the 4 strut bolts that held my STB on and replaced those. I also taped off my manifold so nothing could get in there. But doesn't look as bad, some of the hoses are ripped a little, but all the sensors, wires and plugs are all intact. So they did a somewhat clean disassembly. It could always be worse I guess. Its just a matter of buying all the parts again. Such a bummer and money I wasn't planning on spending again.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Who the hell steals someone's mods?? I've never heard of that happening before. I mean Stereos are a common thing, but intake mods??

Do us all favor, if you find out who did it, shoot the scumbag in the face. That way it won't happen to anyone else.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Yeah, no shit. I sort of don't want to know who did it because if I find out, I will be going to jail for several felonies.
    They definately knew what they were doing, the lock was popped so they got the hood from the inside. Luckily, no physical damage to anything, just a matter of replacing everything. Its such crap.

red
    96 ss

ok lets see what you need and what i am willing to give you. rubber elbow? mass air sensor? i need to check my throttle body but if i remember correctly its a ported stocker, that hits 52mm. let me know what items are needed. you pay shipping , of course. hope this helps raise you spirits some. we can always him if you can find him.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

What I need:
    K&N FIPK II
    1LE Intake Elbow (no donkey dong)
    52mm TB with air foil

I had an aftermarket MAF that was stolen, but after all the discussion on here, I'm just going to descreen the stocker and put that back on. I also have the rest of the stock intake, but I'm not going back to that.
    I had the stock throttle body with an air foil, but since it got jacked, I might as well replace it with something a little better, that's why I'm looking for a 52mm. I found a red powder-coated 52mm TB on ebay, and the guy said he's even include gaskets and the top and bottom plates since mine are missing as well.
    But Jason, if you need to get rid of somethings laying around, I definately wouldn't mind taking them off your hands for a good price. Right now I'm looking at spending around $500 or so just with intake parts, not to mention ripped hoses and the like. So anything you got to help me out would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

red
    96 ss

with the list of items you have as needed, i dont have anything to offer ya. i have mostly stock items off of my parts car. all the hoses went with the motor, when i sold it years ago. by the way i was just gonna give ya the items and let you pay shipping. i feel for ya, getting robbed and all. good thing i am in the bail bonds business (and time warner cable) the thiefs know we don't play. if theres anything you need on my list later, just let me know. good luck to ya

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Thanks man, I REALLY appreciate the offer anyways. Hopefully, I'll get the car up and running within the next 2 weeks. I'll try and keep everyone posted.

Thread Information