Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Stroker question

This is a discussion on Stroker question within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; how big of a difference is there between static and dynamic rates? ive never heard it expressed as two values ...

how big of a difference is there between static and dynamic rates? ive never heard it expressed as two values before.

so i really dont want to be doing a 383 if i plan to boost down the line huh... thats getting pretty up there in the compression ratio fast...

red
    95 Z28

Plenty of people build 383s for boost. It's about picking the right parts.

red
    96 ss

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Plenty of people build 383s for boost. It's about picking the right parts.
    agreed, 383's are fine for boost. man for me to tell you what dynamic compression is ,would take to long i'll just opt for the easy way out and give ya this link.
    http://www.empirenet.com/pkelley2/DynamicCR.html

I thought you wanted like 8-9:1 compression for boost... the max octane I can get my hands on now is 93, they did away from 94 last summer in NJ... i'm just worried about detonation and/or throwing an emission code and failing inspection.

Thanks for the link...

"Dynamic Compression Ratio uses the position of the piston at intake valve closing rather than BDC of the crank stroke to determine the sweep volume of the cylinder"

Easy enough and makes sense... alot more accurate for a real time model then just using the total stroke distance.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
    I thought you wanted like 8-9:1 compression for boost...

And you can get there with a 383 just fine. Like I said, the right parts... And guys tune those motors to run on pump gas. As for emissions... well, I dont know what NJ does, but a boosted 383 typically isnt what you might call a clean burner. Not sure what to tell you there.

Well luckily I have a 1996 with OBDII, so inspection consits of the usual suspension, windows, seatbelts, brakes and lights... and for the emissions they plug in an OBDII scanner and slap it on a dyno and run it at 2k I believe... and aslong as you don't throw a code I think you are good. Sometimes they will do a visual inspection for cats to make sure they are in stock locatoins and present... but the big catch is at thier discretion, if they really want to, I believe they can throw a hose in the pipe on the dyno and get a readout.

so basically its all in the piston choice to determin the compression ratio if i'm sticking with these heads and gaskets?
    Last edited by grandkodiak; 07-08-2007 at 08:24 AM.

Black
    2002 Pontiac SD-455

Well to lower your compression some you can change your quench.. The thickness of your head gasket has a lot to so with it.. can go to an .041 Thickness or thinner and shorter rods.. Maybe changing your wrist pin height on your pistons as well..

Black
    '96 Impala SS & '14 SS

Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
    I have heads/cam/headers done right now, and Ive been thinking about a 383 stroker kit.......
    If I were in your position, I'd strongly consider a Golen short block .

Otherwise, you'd likely spend a lot more $$$$ for an equal or lesser engine !

KW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information