Forest Green
    1994 Firebird Formula

Stock Rebuild Kit for 1994 Firebird Lt1

Ok I am looking for a stock rebuild kit for my Formula. I have decided to do a basic rebuild kit on my LT1. Reason being is because I have waaaaaayyyyyyy too much to do on my Firebird. I was going to do a 383 stroker which would have been expensive, the Ls1 front and rear end conversion, plus the T-Top conversion.

I started thinking about it and found I would be paying more to make an imitation LS1 than I would have to pay to have a real one. So I just figured that I will fix this one up with a rebuild, sell it, and buy an 98-02 Firebird with T tops. IMO the amount I would pay would be about the same amount to buy the newer Firebird. So if you all would not mind could you all post links of stock rebuild kits for a 1994 Firebird Lt1. Thanks guys.

And yes I have been doing some research, but I am confused on what kit is for a stock LT1 and for my year.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

What do you need?
    Are the crank rods and pistons all good? Personally, If the rods and crank are good I would do a slightly better piston. maybe bump the compression up to 11 to 1 and a nice cam for the stock heads. Something like a hot cam or something that will help make a bit more power on stock heads, and then do something like 1.6 ratio rockers. It will make a big impact on a potential buyer when that thing has a little more power and a good healthy idle tone to it. If you were planning on replacing those parts any way I would beef it up a tad. Just my 2 cents but if I'm looking to buy an LT1 car and one has an 11 to 1 or 11.5 to 1 piston already in it, I will be buying that one, especially if it is a fesh rebuild. You may find it cheaper to peice most of it together.
    Are you planning on have the bock machined?

red
    95 Z28

Just buy the parts you need, at the level of quality you want. You're probably not going to find a kit that meets all of your needs, including cost.

Forest Green
    1994 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    What do you need?
    Are the crank rods and pistons all good? Personally, If the rods and crank are good I would do a slightly better piston. maybe bump the compression up to 11 to 1 and a nice cam for the stock heads. Something like a hot cam or something that will help make a bit more power on stock heads, and then do something like 1.6 ratio rockers. It will make a big impact on a potential buyer when that thing has a little more power and a good healthy idle tone to it. If you were planning on replacing those parts any way I would beef it up a tad. Just my 2 cents but if I'm looking to buy an LT1 car and one has an 11 to 1 or 11.5 to 1 piston already in it, I will be buying that one, especially if it is a fesh rebuild. You may find it cheaper to peice most of it together.
    Are you planning on have the bock machined?
    nah just basically want to put it together to get it back up and running again. I really don't want to spend unnecessary money because the ls1 I am looking at will be about 4k and I want every dollar saved from this Lt1 build and start on the LS1 Trans AM instead

red
    95 Z28

At some point you might want to consider finding a used running LT1 motor to just swap in the car. Machine work alone to do a basic rebuild can easily go over 500$.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    At some point you might want to consider finding a used running LT1 motor to just swap in the car. Machine work alone to do a basic rebuild can easily go over 500$.
    yup and the stuff I listed really wont add cost unless you are reusing the old cam crank rods and pistons. You said rebuild but not what was need for that. so it's just a thought. a junkyard lt1 will be quick and less painfull in the pocket book. Like 5.0 said unless you have a machine shop that owes you, the machine work will be 500 and then bearings, rings and gasket set at a min will add 200 to 300 more.

Ray Charles blue

I would buy an LT1 out of a junkyard and put it in.....honestly. Reason being if you put a STOCK engine in it a lot of people are more apt to buy it unless the car is cheap as hell.

Reason being is because if you are not a great mechaninc (not saying you are bad but you know....) people will not want what you are selling unless you have a reputable shop that did the work for you. Since you are not spending a lot of money I doubt it will be a high end shop doing the work. Also, you are going to have to retune this thing which is going to cost you a little bit of cash.

Go for a stock engine if you plan on selling the car. I think you will get more of a pull for it.
    Last edited by TLS_Addict; 08-18-2010 at 06:36 PM.

Blue Green Gray Metallic
    1994 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post

Yea the work done on mine including head work was over $600. That included the crankshaft being sent away and turned, new Rod, Main and Cam Bearings.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

You can "build" a rebuild kit @ most auto parts stores.. You just have to know exactly what you need for it.. Which is good when planning even a stock rebuild anyways.. It won't really be stock anymore depending on cylinder wall wear.. You may likely need to have it bored, and replace pistons anyway if you can't hit the numbers with oversized rings.. If the motor is high mileage (I'm guessing yes here) there won't be any oil ridges left on the outside skurts and the pistons will need replaced anyways. As others have suggested you could pick up a bone yard LT1 and be down the road.. Unless you're heart is set on rebuilding the motor you've got..
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-08-2010 at 04:57 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Thread Information