Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36

Stock LT1 question

This is a discussion on Stock LT1 question within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones ^^^^he is correct,,,,our 97 Z28 convertable when new ran 14.20's easily at 99 mph with shitty ...

  1. #21
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    ^^^^he is correct,,,,our 97 Z28 convertable when new ran 14.20's easily at 99 mph with shitty DA here in Ohio,,,,it was a 6speed car and completely stock.

    Still ran identical times even after 102,000 miles on the clock just last year...
    14.20's is about right on for a stock vert.

  2. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Fort Myers, FL
    Age
    35
    Posts
    39

    Red
    1995 Trans Am

    ive only made 3 passes in mine. at the time it had about 135k on the stock motor. only mods was a loudmouth and k&n cai. street tires at 18 psi, launch at 1500 rpm, shitty 2.30ish 60ft but still pulled a decent 13.9 @102. i was happy with that time.

  3. #23
    Rice Killa JwMonE99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Myrtle Beach
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,561

    Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by fupa View Post
    ive only made 3 passes in mine. at the time it had about 135k on the stock motor. only mods was a loudmouth and k&n cai. street tires at 18 psi, launch at 1500 rpm, shitty 2.30ish 60ft but still pulled a decent 13.9 @102. i was happy with that time.
    Was that an auto or stick?
    For some reason if I launch at something low like that my car gets kinda jumpy and get crappy launches, it will only get a decent launch with some tire spin when I launch around 3 grand+ with my 6 speed.

  4. #24
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    Was that an auto or stick?
    For some reason if I launch at something low like that my car gets kinda jumpy and get crappy launches, it will only get a decent launch with some tire spin when I launch around 3 grand+ with my 6 speed.
    That would be bog your referring to. There is a sweet spot right around 2200-2500 that can be had with a perfect balance of the gas and clutch. That's how I netted a 13.77@101. Took me quite a bit of practice to attain that time, and even then I couldn't get consistant with it.

  5. #25
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    That would be bog your referring to. There is a sweet spot right around 2200-2500 that can be had with a perfect balance of the gas and clutch. That's how I netted a 13.77@101. Took me quite a bit of practice to attain that time, and even then I couldn't get consistant with it.
    Ya, I never bother to tinker with that when on street tires and driving a stick car. I just let the clutch drop and moderate tire spin with the throttle,,have some fun and see what the car puts up,,,ya don't get the best ET's this way but eh,,,If I wanted to really see what the car would do or go rounds in class racing I would have thrown sticky tires on it anyway. Hence the reason for my 14.20 times on the ole 97 Z28,,,,I was only cutting 2.3 60 foot times. Car had easy 13 second potential, thats seen by the mph it produced.

  6. #26
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ya, I never bother to tinker with that when on street tires and driving a stick car. I just let the clutch drop and moderate tire spin with the throttle,,have some fun and see what the car puts up,,,ya don't get the best ET's this way but eh,,,If I wanted to really see what the car would do or go rounds in class racing I would have thrown sticky tires on it anyway. Hence the reason for my 14.20 times on the ole 97 Z28,,,,I was only cutting 2.3 60 foot times. Car had easy 13 second potential, thats seen by the mph it produced.
    Definitely 13-second cars, problem is with peak torque not to far above idle, it's pretty difficult to launch hard without tire spin. I found that sweet spot sort of by accident, then I just kept giving the car a little more rpm every launch until I encountered tire spin, then that was it's limit. A couple 13.9's, then 13.8, and finally a 13.7 before the night was over. The next couple runs I attempted to give it a little more but it would spin. I never ran a 13.7 again in that car after that, but was able to manage consistant high 13.8's to 13.9s on my next trip to the track.

  7. #27
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    I know what you mean about the peak torque. Driving both an LT1 and LS1 there is a huge difference in feel and throttle response. Almost as though the LS1 feels lazy down low compared to the LT1.

    The LT1 is much more of a tire spinner in first gear. I find the stock LS1's are very easy to get moving with minimal spin.

    I believe it has alot to do with a moderate size cylinder head on the LT1 promoting good throttle response and torque,,,only 170cc intake runners.

    Where as the LS1 is slightly smaller in cubic inch,,,,yet the cylinder head intake runner is 200cc,,,rather large for such a small motor,,,makes them feel a little soft down low in my opinion.

  8. #28
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Yeah soft down low, then they scream up top!

  9. #29
    Rice Killa JwMonE99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Myrtle Beach
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,561

    Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

    Ehh I still say LT1 FTW!!!

  10. #30
    Powerstrokin LT1 > LS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Aurora IL
    Posts
    1,264

    Trans Am owner
    former

    Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    Ehh I still say LT1 FTW!!!
    yeah, the torque is fun. but surprisingly, it still feels like my car pulls all the way to 6000 rpm shift points.

    thats high enough rpm anyways for stock rod bolts, and valvesprings lol

  11. #31
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Nothing wrong with LT1's at all. I've owned enough of them. Just hard to compare them performance wise to an LS1.
    You're talking 23 degree heads verses 15 degree heads,,,,,the power potential between the 2 are night and day.

  12. #32
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Nothing wrong with LT1's at all. I've owned enough of them. Just hard to compare them performance wise to an LS1.
    You're talking 23 degree heads verses 15 degree heads,,,,,the power potential between the 2 are night and day.
    Powerwise stock they may be night and day...but from an overall potential standpoint, they are nowhere near that far apart. Compare a built naturally-aspirated LTx to a built LSx, and the gap is closer than you think

  13. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    44

    Black
    '96 Impala SS & '14 SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 00 formula View Post
    ......I was talking to a guy........and he was telling me about his 95 Z28 with the LT1 "you know, the corvette motor"......He said that he runs 15.2 at the track.......
    That's pretty slow, even for a stock Z28.

    Hell, a stock Impala SS runs that 'fast'.......

    KW

  14. #34
    Member 00 formula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    36
    Posts
    921

    White
    2000 Firebird Formula

    Quote Originally Posted by KW Baraka View Post
    That's pretty slow, even for a stock Z28.

    Hell, a stock Impala SS runs that 'fast'.......

    KW
    Well I would guess that's why he was comparing how well he did by mentioning that he kept up with a stock Grand Prix GTP

  15. #35
    Junior Member wildbanshee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    68

    pewter
    2000 camaro

    my 95z with 30ish thousand miles with punched cats and CAI ran 14.3-on used old ass tires-ran it again 5yrs later with 178,000 miles with the stock stall and opti (changed cap), tranny etc....14.3-no traction again--
    she was the best damn car i ever owned!

  16. #36
    Rice Killa JwMonE99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Myrtle Beach
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,561

    Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

    My older V6 camaro ran low 15s...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Stock Rocker Arm Question
    By blownh2x in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-30-2009, 04:33 PM
  2. Stock LS1 question
    By 00 formula in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-29-2008, 03:26 PM
  3. Stock Rotor Question
    By jroc in forum General Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-27-2007, 12:50 AM
  4. Question about my stock rearend?
    By ram air ws6 in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-25-2006, 04:04 PM
  5. Question about stock transmission
    By tjswanson2001 in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-19-2005, 05:24 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •