Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Stock Crank and Rods

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has any idea how mutch flywheel HP the stock crank and rods can hold on an LT1.

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has any idea how much flywheel HP the stock crank and rods can hold on an LT1.
    Don't know.

I have one forged steel GM crank if you don't like your cast one. If interested I'll post pics.

Trans Am owner
    former

I know the GM pink dimple rods can hold a solid amount of power, like over 500hp, but I am not 100% sure if that is wats in the lt1.

as far as the crank, people underestimate the strength of cast stuff. cast stuff can hold a good amount of power, but ofcourse, i wouldnt push more then 8 psi, or a 150 shot on it.

whats important is rod bolts, and main studs. if you upgrade them to ARP, you should be good to around 450whp while not suffering a ton of longevity.

also, load, rpm, and nitrous/boost change things up a bit

red
    95 Z28

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has any idea how mutch flywheel HP the stock crank and rods can hold on an LT1.
    What do you want to do with the motor, in terms of power goals? I can understand keeping the stock crank in some applications, but if you're going to have the motor opened up anyway, I really dont see a reason not to upgrade the rods. And pistons of course too.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

I am looking to put 400 hp 400ftlb to the ground and not exceed 500 flywheel hp. I don't care how I get it as long as I get real close to 400 to the rear wheels. Some people tell me I need a stroke but others say it can be done in 355 form. I don't want to run Nos, or boost of any kind. Just good old fashion N/A HP. Am I going to have to look at changing the crank and rods? My spare LT1 is stock and only had 50k on it

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

I am looking to put 400 hp 400ftlb to the ground and not exceed 500 flywheel hp. I don't care how I get it as long as I get real close to 400 to the rear wheels. Some people tell me I need a stroke but others say it can be done in 355 form. I don't want to run Nos, or boost of any kind. Just good old fashion N/A HP. Am I going to have to look at changing the crank and rods? My spare LT1 is stock and only had 50k on it
    If all your wanting is 400whp you don't even need to touch the bottom end. One of the proven heads and cam packages along with the supporting stuff will get you there, no problem!

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

That is what I figured but I just wanted to make sure. I will change the pistons maybe go with an 11 to 1. Now what head and cams are you talking about? I have run accross different sets of heads. Has anyone been able to get 400 to the rear wheels on stock heads or stock reworked heads without nos or boost? What did you have to do to them?

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

That is what I figured but I just wanted to make sure. I will change the pistons maybe go with an 11 to 1. Now what head and cams are you talking about? I have run accross different sets of heads. Has anyone been able to get 400 to the rear wheels on stock heads or stock reworked heads without nos or boost? What did you have to do to them?
    A lot of individuals have gotten 400+ on "worked" stock heads. It is infact very easy. My car is at 440 naturally-aspirated with LT1 heads. I recommend the LE2 kit from Lloyd Elliot for what your wanting.

red
    95 Z28

I would highly recommend spending 500$ on a set of better rods. Cheap insurance. Making 400rwhp NA with an LT1 is childs play, but alot of the cams that will do it will have you revving the motor to 6500rpm, and there is no reason NOT to do it. For what you want the stock crank will be fine.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Hey thanks for the input guys I realy appreciate it. What type of rods would I need to get? Is there a specific type?

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Hey thanks for the input guys I realy appreciate it. What type of rods would I need to get? Is there a specific type?
    You'll be fine on the stock bottom end at that power level. Many guys have made more power than that on stock internals, including myself. Going with stronger rods will of course require a motor teardown, so if your going to go that far you might as well upgrade everything for more power down the road.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne97 View Post
    You'll be fine on the stock bottom end at that power level. Many guys have made more power than that on stock internals, including myself. Going with stronger rods will of course require a motor teardown, so if your going to go that far you might as well upgrade everything for more power down the road.
    He's already talking about replacing pistons and having the motor down anyway.

As for rods, an H beam rod from Manley, Lunati, or Scat would work just fine.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    He's already talking about replacing pistons and having the motor down anyway.
    Oh, okay. I was going by the original post. Missed #7.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne97 View Post
    Oh, okay. I was going by the original post. Missed #7.

It's ok... you're that lunatic that thinks stock LT1s are low 13 second cars

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    It's ok... you're that lunatic that thinks stock LT1s are low 13 second cars
    I am a little coo coo at times

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

LOL. Yea the spare lt1 I got was sitting inside some guys house for the past 4 years. LOL he had it on and engine stand and we had to roll the damn thing across a finished tile floor to a 30 inch door and jockey it out the door. That was fun!! Yea that was the only draw back was that it had not been run in 4 years and he got some water in the intake when he cleaned it so it needs to be taken all the way down. Picked up a complete motor with accessories, computer and wire harness for 500 bucks. Not bad hu?
    If it's going all the way down do you think I should build the bottom end solid or just save the money for another day. After all I will have my factory motor just sitting around if I want to do a big build

Thread Information