Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Still fighting my skip/miss

This is a discussion on Still fighting my skip/miss within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I already did plugs and wires and that didn't do anything but give me a headache. The car sat, in ...

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

I already did plugs and wires and that didn't do anything but give me a headache.

The car sat, in grass, for about 2-3 months untouched, unstarted when all of this happened. This is why i'm so quick to jump on the opti for being my cause, as the moisture from the grass is what I believe to have gotten into the opti and caused all of this. I just hate reading on these sites of people who have put thousands into their motors and not fixed anything.

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

After you changed plugs and wires did the symptoms change?

Black smoke us indicates too much fuel. Fuel pressure and actual flow are two different things. Although everything seems to point toward opti with the miss, if you pull your plugs and examine them are they blackand cruddy? If so, you could have a bad O2 sensor... The bottom line is you need to isolate the problem or you will spend a fair amount of money changing components that may not be bad. One bad plug wire or a spar plug that is cracked or loose can also cause a stumble and those are less expensive and less hassle than an opti...

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

The symptoms did not change after putting in new plugs and wires. Yes, the exhaust is black, sooty, and smells like unburnt gas. I have not driven the car more than probably 5 miles total since I parked it (before all of this began), and the battery has been dead/removed a few times since as well, so I'm guessing that the car won't throw a code until I actually put a few miles on it and get it up to normal OPERATING temps?

red
    95 Z28

Spending 100$ at the GM shop to have a tech diagnose your problem may be the easiest way to go. I love Tech2s (the diagnostic tool they use)... makes figuring out things oooh so much easier

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Will the shop just hook the car up and diagnose the problem for me without spending money on their parts? I'd probably buy the opti (assuming thats the problem) through summit (GMPP piece is 300) or wherever I can get the best price on a GM unit. I've read bad things about the Summit branded opti.

red
    95 Z28

They'll go as far as you want them to go. Tell them you just want to know what the problem is, they'll come back with an estimate to fix it, just tell them you cant afford it right now and you'll come back. or whatever you want to tell them.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

one way to check your mass air flo sensor is tap on it while its running and if it stumbles you know to focus on that.
    $100 bucks is way to much to pay a shop to check anything out.
    i payed $50 last week just be sure it was the opti.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

I'll check into it.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Do you have a service manual or anything with diagnostic flow charts? I'd like to test the individual engine controls to rule out everything else. There must also be a test for the opti -- I will do some research as there has to be a way to check it that does not require a Tech II. If not, I believe I can get my hands on one...

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

No, no manuals. All I've got is a Haynes, and they're about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop. I may have to drive the car down to ya though, Jeff. From the sounds of things I need to put some miles on it to make it throw a code or quit completely Perhaps a little shake-down would be good for it.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

how bought the ignition coil on your front driver side head...if that goes bad it can point to opti but actually be the ignition coil

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    No, no manuals. All I've got is a Haynes, and they're about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop. I may have to drive the car down to ya though, Jeff. From the sounds of things I need to put some miles on it to make it throw a code or quit completely Perhaps a little shake-down would be good for it.

Absolutely! We can run downtown and mess with Officer Morgan for real this time. Heck, not my car!

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Lol, it needs inspected before I get too crazy with it.

I thought about the coil as well. I SHOULD take it off and go have it 'tested' at autozone I guess. I always *assumed*, as well as from personal experience that when a coil goes bad, it usually develops a high-end skip rather than down low.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
    $100 bucks is way to much to pay a shop to check anything out.
    It isnt alot at all considering some people throw hundreds of dollars in parts at their cars to fix what turns out to be real cheap. Some people dont have the equipment or knowledge to do diagnostics themselves, even if they can do the fix-it work.

I would agree though, that there are some things that can be ruled out via simple and cheap/free tests.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information