candy red
    95 chevy camaro z28

shifting out of 1st gear and leak

ok guys im back again.....i have a 95 Z with automatic trans, dont know if it has been rebuilt or what not because just got the car but the car has all other bolt ons..... so when im taking out from a red light the rpms keep on rising but dont drop and go into second gear unless i ease off the pedal myself..its weird.....but after that its fine and when i step on it it goes.....so i doubt it if its the trans....and ive just had a trans tune up and flush...etc..and i also put this trans mission tune up in a bottle in their to see if it would help and nothing....i dunno what else it could be.....i checked my trans fluid level this morning and it seems like it could be low, so maybe i when i got my trans flushed and screen changed my mechanic didnt put enough fluid in, he only put about 5 or 6 bottles...... like i said when i take off from a red light the rpms rise but the gear doesnt change unless i ease off the pedal like im driving a m6 but i have an automatic or like im driving in 1st or something........please help me...

also seems to me when im outside my car and i have my dad drive it down the road when it takes off sounds a little weird and not tight, like loose air...its not tight sounding until at WOT the muffler shop say there is no leak under the car.also inside the car when im cruising and i ease the gas down it sounds like as im gassing it i hear an air sound or something simultaneously ...i do have borla minus cats and hooker super comp headers...where else could there be leaks? or wht else could be the problem
    Last edited by 94redmaro; 02-06-2007 at 07:08 AM. Reason: typo

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

How many miles on the tranny? (If it hasn't been rebuilt).
    It might have started going to the pooper.

candy red
    95 chevy camaro z28

the car has 120,000miles its a 95 so that isnt bad at all, but my mechanic said the tranny is good or else it wouldnt get on it at all, and it drives good in all the other gears but first and it just started doing it.....when i added this other transmission tune up or treatment, my mechanic said that it might be the case that i overfilled the fluid, because i didnt check before i poured the whole bottle in....im going to take it to a shop and have them check it out, and also check to see about where im getting an exhaust leak, because they say its not under the car but when i had my dad drive the car down the street when he first took off it sounded a little loose like air is lingering but sounded good when he really stepped on it

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Sounds like either the tranny is starting to go or there is something wrong with the valve body. Lots of times trannys that are on their way out will not be able to shift to the next gear under throttle, so they will just stay in the current gear or hit the rev limiter if you keep on the gas. This is a common problem with the 4L60, especially on the 2-3 shift.

I'd say it could be a tuning issue, but I don't believe the 95 4L60 is electronically controlled, so that rules that out. Sometimes having the trans flushed can make it worse, because the friction material from the clutch packs that is floating in the fluid helps keep the trans from slipping. When you flush the fluid, all the friction material is cleaned out, and the new fluid is a much better lubricant.

I'd have it checked out by an transmission shop, they can probably pinpoint the issue and let you know what needs to be done.

candy red
    95 chevy camaro z28

yes i'll have to let my mechanic take a look, before i got it flushed it was driving real bad ,and then i got it flushed and it drove perfect, because the dealer i bought it from said it hadnt been driven in about 6 months or more....so its been driving perfect until like 2 days ago...my fluid is a little low but i dont know how much that matters..i mean it matters but could it make the car not shift right? also i have to take it to someone that can tell me what kind of trans i have, because the car has alot of mods and i didnt ask the dealer about if this is the stock trans from a 95 Z28.....also it could be the 0 degree weather here in Michigan also...i dunno....keep the oponions coming,

ps i also tried some of that trans medic stuff, but doesnt seem to be working

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 94redmaro View Post
    yes i'll have to let my mechanic take a look, before i got it flushed it was driving real bad ,and then i got it flushed and it drove perfect, because the dealer i bought it from said it hadnt been driven in about 6 months or more....so its been driving perfect until like 2 days ago...my fluid is a little low but i dont know how much that matters..i mean it matters but could it make the car not shift right? also i have to take it to someone that can tell me what kind of trans i have, because the car has alot of mods and i didnt ask the dealer about if this is the stock trans from a 95 Z28.....also it could be the 0 degree weather here in Michigan also...i dunno....keep the oponions coming,

ps i also tried some of that trans medic stuff, but doesnt seem to be working
    Yes, having low fluid can definitely make the trans shift poorly or inconsistantly. Get the fluid topped off asap, and see if that helps.

Trans Medic is a waste of money. The only additive that actually helps is Lucas Transmission fix, its like a thick ATF that cleans the inside of the trans and helps stops slipping. Try some of that first if topping off the fluid doesn't fix the issue.

candy red
    95 chevy camaro z28

okay and on my dipstick it says i should use dexron III or something but i never heard of that type of trans fluid.....i know about ATF though

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

okay and on my dipstick it says i should use dexron III or something but i never heard of that type of trans fluid.....i know about ATF though
    You've really never heard of Dexron III??

Its probably the most popular Automatic trans fluid out there. Most brands call it Dexron III/Mercon, since its for both GM and Ford products. The Fluid called "ATF+" is for Chrysler vehicles, don't use that.

candy red
    95 chevy camaro z28

that might be the problem right there...i know for a fact when my mechanic did my flush he filled my transmission up with ATF......they sell the Dexron at any auto parts? i was at Murrays and didnt see any maybe i overlooked it

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

that might be the problem right there...i know for a fact when my mechanic did my flush he filled my transmission up with ATF......they sell the Dexron at any auto parts? i was at Murrays and didnt see any maybe i overlooked it
    Well Dexron III is ATF...its basically just a specific type of ATF. They sell universal ATF, Chrysler ATF (ATF+, ATF+3, Synthetic ATF+4), Mercon V ATF, and Dexron III/Mercon ATF.

You want Dexron III ATF for your transmission. As long asit says Dexron III on the bottle you're good.

You should be able to get it at any auto parts store or Walmart.

candy red
    95 chevy camaro z28

okay, so that could solve the problem...so what about lucas? should i add any of that?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

okay, so that could solve the problem...so what about lucas? should i add any of that?
    Yo could give it a try. Can't hurt, its good stuff.

Put the Lucas in, and then top it off with Dexron III ATF. Drive it around and how it is after that.

candy red
    95 chevy camaro z28

okay im going to go do it, and i'll let you know....how fast does that stuff work, if it works?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

okay im going to go do it, and i'll let you know....how fast does that stuff work, if it works?
    You should notice a difference within about 100 miles, provided there isn't something seriously wrong inside the trans that the additive can't fix. In that case you would just need a complete rebuild.

Try the Lucas first and see how it goes. For $8 its worth a try.

candy red
    95 chevy camaro z28

okay so my trans level is about at the level where i would just be able to add maybe a bottle of lucas but it would probably overfill if i add lucas and ATF fluid...so add the lucas first?

candy red
    95 chevy camaro z28

also ive been reading around on other forums, and other people have my problem, and like i said this just happened and its like 0 degrees here in MI, and i also run the k&n full system so could the MAF need cleaning, some people say that could also be the problem

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

[QUOTE=Wesman;590858]

I'd say it could be a tuning issue, but I don't believe the 95 4L60 is electronically controlled, so that rules that out. QUOTE]

Yes, the 94's and up have the 4L60E's. The 93's were the only ones that weren't electronically controlled.

candy red
    95 chevy camaro z28

okay guys bad but good news, yes it turns out that it is my trans, the guy i bought the car off of now has a 06 zo6 but he raced this car and had practically beat up on the trans and so at first the trans shop thought it was the valve body but its not. So im going to have a total rebuild on all parts and only for $1200, i dont think i could get it done any cheaper, but at least for the most part i want have to worry about this problem again, being that i dont race at tracks, i just do the normal every day driving; i punch it here and there just to let people know im there so 1200 is pretty fair price for a rebuild true? and the guy said he would be putting new power band.and all new parts...etc

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

okay guys bad but good news, yes it turns out that it is my trans, the guy i bought the car off of now has a 06 zo6 but he raced this car and had practically beat up on the trans and so at first the trans shop thought it was the valve body but its not. So im going to have a total rebuild on all parts and only for $1200, i dont think i could get it done any cheaper, but at least for the most part i want have to worry about this problem again, being that i dont race at tracks, i just do the normal every day driving; i punch it here and there just to let people know im there so 1200 is pretty fair price for a rebuild true? and the guy said he would be putting new power band.and all new parts...etc
    Sounds about right.

Make sure they use better parts than stock, so you don't have to worry about it in the future, or if you do more mods.

Also a good time to get stall converter and a tranny cooler

candy red
    95 chevy camaro z28

tell me more about good stall converters.......he walked me through all of what he was going to do, hes using all new parts, and he has a good rep, its a hot rod shop...he also said he was going to upgrade the torque converter

Thread Information