Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Severe hesitation/jerking

This is a discussion on Severe hesitation/jerking within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; did any water end up under your hood. like a big storm with standing water on the road or you ...

red
    96 ss

did any water end up under your hood. like a big storm with standing water on the road or you washed the motor off. also have you checked your water pump to see if its leaking?

Went through a big puddle the other day but it was happening before hand.

Unfortunatly though the problems returned this morning??

Grey
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM

Its your opti dude, for real, mine did that for about 2weeks, one day it would be fine, the other it would suck ass, finally it ended up just shutting off and wouldnt start.

shit the end is comming that soon?

Grey
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM

it varies from opti to opti but you dont want to be 100 miles from home when it goes.

I dont go anywhere far at all, but i was hoping id have a few months of just dealin with the jerking so i could pay of the bill i already owe without spending another grand on an opti install

Green
    1997 ws-6

it wont cost you a grand for an opti install. i got mine done at a shop here in forida that is spendy and they charged me like 345. and my car did the same thing. off and on for like 3 weeks. i first replaced the plugs and wires, that helped for about 3 miles then the same old shit. changed the fuel filter. same shit. lucked out and a friend of mine had a brand new opti he bought for his lt vette and sold the car bought still had the opti. he sold it to me for 150,
    good luck man. ask around on here for one. i seen one not long ago for 200 brand new.

Green
    1997 ws-6

matter of fact man there is a opti and intake for sale together for 200 on the #2 page of the parts for sale/trade section. i would buy it and get it over with

Finally got a chance to hook up my OBD2 comp and see what exactly is going on. Its detecting a huge amount of knock but no misfires...wtf? Think the LT4 KM went bad?? Also its reporting a continous pull of 64 degrees, that cant be right...? any ideas anyone?

it seems to be detecting a huge amount of knock in and only in the exact window of rpm where i'm getting the severe jerking... maybe it isnt the opti?

http://69.141.234.60/3132007.jpg

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

What fuel octane are you using?

highest they have... 93

Green
    1997 ws-6

damnit man.. i still think its your opti.. the symptoms you named are identical to mine when it took a shit.. IMO im sure its the opti. i hope im wrong

i did a bunch of research online and it seems they are consistent with an opti on its way out, but it doesnt account for the wierd OBD2 data being reported. I didnt record it in that spreadsheet but although the knock sensor is retarding timing, its not recording any actual knock counts. also, jerking caused by a opti going out is because its not sparking some of the plugs, meaning there HAS to be significant misfire, yet not only is no misfire being detected, no misfire is even present in the history data, nor are any codes being thrown at anytime...

i really hate cars right now, i just got my 40sw barrel for my 357sig glock, think its about time i tested it out on the mechanic.

Green
    1997 ws-6

hhaha. yah man thats how i felt. but just replace that opti and im sure all your problems will go away. at this point you might as well

red
    95 Z28

I think something was damaged during all of your recent parts installs. Check all connections, loose or damaged wires, etc

Had a mech test drive my car and he's agreein with the opti diagnosis...

have a question though, i noticed the sell an msd cap+rotor kit for $150, would that suffice? if not, should i go with DynaSpark or MSD's optireplacement? Also found this, cant tell if its GM or somebody elses? cheap though!:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-96...spagenameZWDVW

what component actually fails inside the opti? readin alittle bit how it works, not to clear on it but it seems there is a spinning metallic disc that an optical encoder picks up, pretty much like a laser reading a music cd... cant the optical disc be cleaned if it fouls up, or the lens or whatever that picks up the data?

I also found this:
    "There have also been reports of oil leaks into the distributor and this is usually the result of neglecting to change the seals in the timing cover when a cam swap is done. Today's tight-tolerance lip seals should be changed whenever the timing case cover is removed, but they often are put back into service and start to leak shortly after re-installation."

I just had heads/cam/headers/wires/injectors/plugs installed not 2 weeks before the hesitation problems started... i didnt think that it was just coincidence that i started havin these problems after that.

Also, i did find these as symptoms of a failing opti... i have to say though, i dont have a single one! ??
    * Car suddenly dies and won't restart
    * Starts but immediately dies
    * Extended cranking to start
    * Rough idle
    * Sputtering
    * Backfiring
    * Trouble reaching higher rpm
    * Black smoke from exhaust
    * Poor performance with car warmed up
    * Weak plug wire spark
    * Codes 16, 36, and 42 may be set
    Last edited by grandkodiak; 03-30-2007 at 01:39 PM.

Grey
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM

just pull the whole engine and shove an ls2 in it!!!!!!!!

red
    96 ss

you can try the rebuild kit. just open yours first and see what you have going on inside. water or oil will be a easy thing to spot. if the optical disk has come loose , look for wear and contact patches around its path. if you decide to rebuild make sure you use loctite on the bolts.

as far as the ebay piece being a factory piece. thats hard to say. buyer beware. if you go ahead and buy the dynspark they are getting ready to offer a LIFETIME warrenty. meaning if it breaks , they fix it for free.

i was wondering though... 99% of the problems seem to come from leaks from oil or coolant and internal "ozone" degrading it... but that all seems like outside causes, i dont think a warrenty would actually cover any of that... no more then a power surge would be covered when your pentium fried, its not a defect of the product per say... *shrug*

red
    96 ss

they claim , its so air tight and have fixed 11 issues , that they saw as flaws. if it dies they replace it. now granted that life time warrenty hasen't been issued yet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information