Thread: security light

Red
    1995 FIREBIRD

security light

my security light is coming on a lot lately. I have had problems with it not letting me start my car. when it happens then i let it sit for a couple of mins and it goes off and the car will start. Then it will come on while driving but it does not affect the car when i am driving. I know that it will throw a security when it thinks that it is being stolen but why the hell whould it come on when i put the key in the switch. I took the key to the dealer and they checked it and it was fine. Could i have a bad connection in the switch or could it be bad. Any one have any ideas.

pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

it's either the chip in your key or the reader in the ignition switch that's causing your problem. the chip and the security light are part of the VATS antitheft system, and if the computer is not reading that chip properly, that is what causes the security light to come on. i've had that same problem in 2 previous fbodies that i have owned. contrary to what the dealer told you, i would try getting a new key, as that is normally the source of the problem

Red
    1995 FIREBIRD

ok went to he shbox website. a lot of help. I am getting 887 ohms. Now the plan is to get a resistor that has that amount of ohms and bypass the vats key. I think this will work and i should not have a problem with it. but does the resistor have to have the exact ohms as what i have or can it be between low and high ohms on the chart?

red
    2002 z/28

I've had that problem before and found the ignition lock cylinder was worn out.It has a set of contacts and 2 very small wires that run from the cylinder through the column to the decoder.Sometimes the wire breaks and just barely makes contact or the contacts just don't make good contact.If you use the resistor you'll bypass the vats making it easier to steal.I've always just replaced the lock cyl. and key.

According to the chart 887 is the nominal, 852 is low/942 high. Doesn't have to be the exact OHMs - closest to 887 is what you want.

Red
    1995 FIREBIRD

Is there anything else that i can do besides put a resistor in the wiring? Do they make a modular that you can use for this?

ecklerscamaro sells something you can just plug in, but it's basically just a resistor.

mine had problems when it was cold out, figured the resistance would jsut be changing from the cold car and being warm in my pocket.... but it wasnt that. even had the alarm changed, wasnt that. ended up being a shotty relay in the body control module... if you know anyone try swappin them see if it helps.

Red
    1995 FIREBIRD

I called and ordered the security bypass modular from ecklers camaro. It was only 26 bucks. My dad had to get the same thing for his 02 SS. I think that this will fix the problem. When i get this I am going to have an alarm put on it.

Red
    1995 FIREBIRD

I had a bad connection on my battery. I reset the compter when i fixed this and it has not done it in a week. I am guessing that when it does this and won't let the starter turn over that it stores the code in the computer, but i am not sure. That problem is fixed now there is another one that i have posted. One thing after another. It never ends.

Arctic White
    1997 Trans Am

i had the security light come on sometimes too. eventually it got to the point where the car wouldnt start. ended up being the ignition switch. replaced that and its been fine since. that was 3 years ago.

Thread Information