Bright Aqua
    1996 Vette

Searching for Forged Stroker Crank

Hi, all. My first post here, but, since I'm as old as dirt, just know I've been screwing on engines for decades. So, I'm far from being a newbie. In my first post, I need some help in finding a crank.

I've been searching for an EAGLE 435340006000 FORGED EAGLE 4" stroke crankshaft. 1996 LT1 block; 4-bolt mains, 2.100"/350 mains, 1 PIECE REAR MAIN SEAL, FORGED ONLY.

Even had Summit call Eagle and learned it's been discontinued. "No longer available from vendor".

Since it's been mentioned on this Forum, just wondering if anyone knows any vendor that has one.

Other options are ones from Callies, Scat, Lunati, etc., name brand companies only. BELIEVE ME, I've been doing some SERIOUS SEARCHING TOO! GOOGLE, BING, 10 different Forums, etc., etc.

$700 price range

Thanks for any help

Jake

red
    95 Z28

I'd stay away from Eagle cranks anyway. From what I've seen, they usually take alot to get to balance, and they're pretty far off out of the box. Not to mention they're Chinese. What you may end up doing is upping your budget a little to get the right piece now. A few hundred bucks extra now wont really mean much in the grand scheme of things to get the right part.

Bright Aqua
    1996 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    I'd stay away from Eagle cranks anyway. From what I've seen, they usually take alot to get to balance, and they're pretty far off out of the box. Not to mention they're Chinese. What you may end up doing is upping your budget a little to get the right piece now. A few hundred bucks extra now wont really mean much in the grand scheme of things to get the right part.
    Anything to the posts floating around about EAGLE having moved to all CNC machining to be able to tighten their specs and improve quality control?

I know of their bad rep for cast cranks problems but I've been reading they've gotten their act together on their forged cranks. Do anything along those lines?

Thanks for your response.

Jake

red
    95 Z28

I'm not sure about their newer stuff. I wouldnt buy it regardless since it's chinese; that's enough for me. People have built good motors with them, I just prefer a higher quality part. I'd use Scat, Crower, Lunati or Callies long before Eagle. Eagle has had many issues with their connecting rods as well. I just see too many quality issues from their product line overall for me to believe in it. And for connecting rods in a SBC I prefer Oliver or Carrillo if your budget allows. Manley makes a great connecting rod as well, at a reasonable price.

Ray Charles blue

I know some dirt track racers than ran scat............then they stopped using them.

Auqua blue is a pretty color Jake! I had a 6-speed 94 convertible Corvette and you guess it. The car was aqua blue metallic, black top, black interior, and 6-speed. I guy pulled out in front of me this summer and it was totalled with all 63k miles on it.

What all do you plan to do to your engine other than the crank? Some places will sell you NEW LT1 casting heads for $300 and then for $700 they will completely port, polish, deck, larger valves, and assemble them. Then they take the LT1 intake and match it to the heads as well as bore out the front for the 58mm TB.

Cam ideas?

Bright Aqua
    1996 Vette

Thanks much for the responses.

As I wrote before, I've learned that EAGLE discontinued making the 4" forged crank, the one with a 1-piece RMS and since I can't track down one sitting on someone's shelf, I'm now zeroing in on a 3.875" SCAT.

This is going to be a DD I build for my son's LT1 Vette. He already has the Dart Pro 1 heads, 1.7 Scorpions, 58mm TB and headers. I'm building for MAX torque and plan to let HP fall where it may. Engine Analyzer Pro has me on the right track for the cam specs; duration, duration split, LSA, ramp aggressiveness, etc.

I'm going with an altogether different short block - different block (Oliver 4 bolt mains on all 5 positions), new crank, rods, pistons, rings, bearings, oil pump, etc. then just swap over the top end parts. The block's already at Reher and Morrison for them to work their magic. Incidentally, I drove about 500 miles to deliver it to them, showing how much trust I have in them.

Several years ago, I built a 434 Carrillo rodded, Mini-Rammed L98 for friend's 86 Vette so I'm up on how expensive those rods are. New Bow-Tie block, Carrillo's, JE's, JESEL shaft system, Brodix 15* extensively ported heads and Mini-Ram (got just over 400 CFMs out of that sucka with no turbulence- former Extrude Hone porter in CA did the work).

I've been building Chevy engines since Hector was a Pup so I guess you can see I know my way around them pretty well. Even, back when I was young and foolish (LOL) built and drove a 175+ MPH Roadster. Ran low eights in the quarter with a tunnel rammed BB.

Gotta cool photo of me warming it up; back in the day. If you'd like to see how cool it was, I'll post the photo.

Having built so many engines during the past 4 decades or so, I won't even try to account for them all. Suffice to say all the race engines were quarter mile competitors, all running 8 seconds and, get this, with the lone exception of my Roadster, all ran with one carb! I went tunnel ram on the Roadster so I could still run over the others on the top end. LOL

One guy told me his car shook when I blew by him. Popping the chutes added to the "I'm faster than you" factor too. LOL

But the one I'll be screwing on now for my son's car has some deliberate constraints due to it's intended use/purpose.

Hope that addresses your questions. If not, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Take care,

Jake
    Last edited by JAKEJR; 11-09-2010 at 05:32 PM.

Ray Charles blue

Yes, we would like pictures.

Two questions.

1. How old is your son?
    2. Would you like to have another son?

Sounds like a cool ride for your boy. What tranny you going to go with? That stocker wont last with a ton of power, plus going to need a converter (you already know that). Plans to update the rear? It has the Dana 36 now in it right? The 44 probably would hold if you could find one. I hope the car doesnt have the 2.59 gears........yuck! My dads 93 has those. Yeah its runs 100 mph in 2nd and still gets down the road in a hurry but it needs more gear!

I would have sold you my dads 50k (just hit!) 93 auto Corvette.

Thread Information