bright red
    1993 z28 camaro

royal purple/header questions???

two totally unrelated questions, first my car has 115,000+ miles on it. I have had it since 61,000 and i bought it from an older guy who i'm pretty sure took good care of it, as have i since i've had it. Now I was thinking about switching to royal purple oil, but I'm not sure if I should based on the mileage and since the last car I had, an 86 iroc with 120k, developed a misfire for some reason after i switched to synthetic. Now was that just a coincidence is do I have reason for my concern? Second I want to buy a set of headers and wanted to know if ceramic coating is absolutely necessary cause it just about doubles the cost. Is there a cheaper way to keep underhood temps down and not bur my plug wires?

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

The only thing I know about with synthetic oils is that they are thinner than regular motor oil. So, if you have an oil leak now, it will be more apparent when you switch over. I've heard good things about the purple stuff, but oil changes are going to cost you more $$$.

As far as the header questions, ceramic coating is a great idea. Yes it does cost more, but it has other benefits besides keeping underhood temps down. It also prevents rust and corrosion, and if coated inside, can accelerate exhaust gases out of the heads. Ceramic coated pacesetters are the way to go if you are on a budget. The LT's and Y costed me $520 shipped.

Be warned, if you do get regular headers, they will rust quicker. But to keep the temps down, you can wrap the headers and primaries with a heat wrap that help contain the heat.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    The only thing I know about with synthetic oils is that they are thinner than regular motor oil. So, if you have an oil leak now, it will be more apparent when you switch over. I've heard good things about the purple stuff, but oil changes are going to cost you more $$$.

Huh... not really.

First.. synthetic oil isnt necessarily thinner than regular oil. In fact, it maintains it's viscosity much better than regular oil, over the wide range of temperature spans. It wont get as thick when cold, and wont get as thin when hot. Also, thats not why synthetic oils can cause oil leaks. It has more to do with the fact that they can clean out built up deposits within a motor, which may have been helping to seal up the motor. As far as cost goes, synthetic oil will last alot longer than conventional oil (it's been proven time and time again). Synthetic oil can typically go more than twice as long as conventional oil, and thensome. Cost typically ends up being a wash, or close to it, because you're not changing your oil nearly as often.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I didn't say that it causes oil leaks, but synthetic of the same weight will come out more than conventional. And as far as the money thing, I was assuming an regular change every 3mon/3Kmi, and Royal Purple will generally cost more than the regular stuff at the store.

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

I would go with Sarge on this one and say Pennzoil Platinum.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51102

Thread Information