chevelle9

Ring and Pinion install?

I've got a 94 firebird formula with the six-speed and I recently bought some 4.10's for it. I kit doesn't come with instructions and I've never done a ring and pinion swap. I've been searching the internet for instructions, but I can't find anything. Does anyone know where I could get some instructions so I don't F*%k up my rear end?

Black
    97 Firebird

I don't know where any instructions are, but I do know that doing gears is pretty hard to do, and you have to be very precise with it, and know what you're doing, or you can do some damage. Everyone I've talked to says if you haven't done it before or don't really know what you're doing, your best bet would be to take it to a reputable shop to have the work done, otherwise you're asking for trouble. If you've already got the gears it can't be too much to get them installed.
    1997 Firebird 3.8L
    A4,WS6 Ram Air Hood, Edelbrock Catback, SLP CAI, 85 Dry Shot
    1981 Firebird Trans Am
    http://members.cardomain.com/dreaded_hope

Indeed, it is a tricky operation and required pretty exact tollerances... figure the entire brunt force of the engine is directly on the parts you are messing with, every problem is multiplied ten fold. A garage should be able to do it for you in 3-4 hours, so its not too expensive, plus you will also have to update your computer to recognize the change otherwise your speedo will be off a great deal... and unless you have a hypertech programmer do it, yo are going to have to take it to a garage anyway.

dont forget to break them in niceley and change the fluid again after a few hundred miles just to make sure no metal flaking is rubbing around in there... there should be a magnet in the housing to collect it but i'm not positive, and i wouldnt leave it to that alone.

lt4ever
    I agree with the other two guys. I had a shop install my 3.73's b/c of those reasons. Find a Ring and Pinion shop, or a garage that specializes in rear axles. Also, while the mechanics are in there... at the back of the differential is a crush sleeve that leaves small amount of end play and gap... when you slam the GO pedal, that energy is multiplied in that space caused my crush sleeve gap. That extra force of things moving around in there can break stuff. Have them replace the crush sleeve for a solid metal spacer. That will tighten everything up and won't allow things to move around that aren't suppose to in there. Also, if your budget allows... now would be a good time to get yourself a rear end girdle with bearing supports. B/c if your like me... and can't afford a $2,000.00+, 12 bolt rear end but still want to run drag radials without breaking your rear end... then all the fortifying you can do will help.

Thread Information