live fast, die young.

metallic blue
    1969 camaro

removing the t56

im trying to remove the t56 from my lt1... none of this is in the car, it is on the floor in my garage. i have taken off all the bell housing bolts and all bolts on the outside that hold the LT1 and t56 together.

i have been able to pry the t56 about 2 or so inches away from the lt1, it will twist a little and move around in all directions but i cant get the two to separate completely. I think something inside is still holding them together. i read somewhere theres a pin your supposed to remove... any ideas about that?

i need help so i don't break anything trying something stupid.

please go easy on my stupidity, this is my first engine / tranny project ever. thanks

justin

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by 69camarokid View Post
    im trying to remove the t56 from my lt1... none of this is in the car, it is on the floor in my garage. i have taken off all the bell housing bolts and all bolts on the outside that hold the LT1 and t56 together.

i have been able to pry the t56 about 2 or so inches away from the lt1, it will twist a little and move around in all directions but i cant get the two to separate completely. I think something inside is still holding them together. i read somewhere theres a pin your supposed to remove... any ideas about that?

i need help so i don't break anything trying something stupid.

please go easy on my stupidity, this is my first engine / tranny project ever. thanks

justin

First off i have a LS1 T-56, but i know they are very similar so i hope this helps. There are 2 pins that are on the bellhousing that slide into the t56. It was a bitch for me prying this apart too. The pins on mine were a little rusty. First I would try removing the t56 from the bellhousing, then the bellhousing from the back of the LT1. It is easier to take it apart in 2 pieces than one. It takes quite a bit of force to pry them apart, so don't feel scared to put some effort into it.

Black
    99 SS

did you take the clutch fork out?

live fast, die young.

metallic blue
    1969 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    did you take the clutch fork out?
    i had not pulled the clutch fork out... once i did that it popped right out... thanks for the help guys. i posted this in three different online forums and u guys were the only ones who tried to help... u rock!

Black
    99 SS

yea that will hold you up for sure, lol. glad you got it out man. cause it happened to me the first time i took a trans out also

Thread Information