Problem with Tired Seats

This is a discussion on Problem with Tired Seats within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; ...

Red
    1995 Trans Am 6 Speed

Problem with Tired Seats

Have a 95 TA with the light gray cloth standard seats. After a 111K miles and two other owners, the driverís seat is flat and leaves no real support.

What has folks done to improve the seats? Have checked out Corveau which has a micro-faber light gray seat that fits (800 plus 100 for the frame rails). According to the web site, there are custom color available (want to keep as close to the original gray seat color.

One down side is the seats have Corbeau stitched into them, except for the low end seat (Sportsman) which seem the best fit. However, what else is out there?

My goal is two fold: Have a seat I can drive day in/day out and knot put my back out. And look stock. Started to reach out to bone yards for matching power seats (front and back) with related tracks, switches and trim to put in. However, most likely these will be in leather either dark gray or black.

Do have an option of a local shop to rebuild the front seats with OEM cloth, build up the seat areas in high quality form for $1600 cash. However, there is a time limit on this offer. He works alone and is 84 years old this year. He is a mast craftsman, but donít want to wait too long in kicking off the reguild vs. buying a new seat or a new replacement.

I just need a seat that is going to give me the wow of driving and will also work for my wife whom had a hip replacement last year.

Would like to hear form others who where in the same boat and came up with a working solution. My budget is $ 2K from new front sets or a full set of seats from a junkere.

Any suggestion on making he existing seat higher would help! Sorry for the cross posting, want to ask in both the specific and a more general forum.

HELP!

red
    95 Z28

1600$ to redo factory seats is outrageous. You could probably buy factory new seats for that. I think getting corbeaus os probably a waste of money for you since your car is a street driven car. Just find a nice set of used cloth seats to throw in. I would guess you could find a nice set for under 500$ pretty easy, and put the rest of that money to better use.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

6litereater sells seats that look pretty damn nice
    check them out

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    6litereater sells seats that look pretty damn nice
    check them out
    I was going to post the link, but, they don't have them in gray cloth.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I was going to post the link, but, they don't have them in gray cloth.
    They did last time i checked

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

yep just checked again, you could go to leather

Red
    1995 Trans Am 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    1600$ to redo factory seats is outrageous. You could probably buy factory new seats for that. I think getting corbeaus os probably a waste of money for you since your car is a street driven car. Just find a nice set of used cloth seats to throw in. I would guess you could find a nice set for under 500$ pretty easy, and put the rest of that money to better use.
    Thanks everyone for your help with this. Just to clear something up, the $ 1600 was to build new foam base and hand make new covers from OEM cloth. The shop is a one man show with 40+ years experience. The owner is 84 years old and the quality to top of the line. I know what the best can cost, now let me look up everyone's ideas.

Take care.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by seppburgh View Post
    Thanks everyone for your help with this. Just to clear something up, the $ 1600 was to build new foam base and hand make new covers from OEM cloth. The shop is a one man show with 40+ years experience. The owner is 84 years old and the quality to top of the line. I know what the best can cost, now let me look up everyone's ideas.

Take care.

Even with all that quality and experience the end product is still just basically new factory seats. Thats why I suggested finding some lower mileage used seats. For that price I'd expect them to be covered in custom leather with alcantara inserts.

Red
    1995 Trans Am 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Even with all that quality and experience the end product is still just basically new factory seats. Thats why I suggested finding some lower mileage used seats. For that price I'd expect them to be covered in custom leather with alcantara inserts.
    Thanks for the help. I contacted a few salvage yards plus Hawk's Thirdgeneration with the results that good OEM seats out of a junker is a thing of the past. While they offer cores, I can work with what I have.

On the better note, stopped at the local shop that fixed my driver seat seam last year and to re-do the front seats with new OEM cloth (his jober still has it!) is $ 400 to $ 450 /seat for the front. Built up the seat, rework the boster on the driver side and hand make the covers.

What I am toying with is to purchase the power seat frame and mount the "manual" seats to the frame. That would give me the hight and adjustment I need in my not so young age (53.) If this works, would do the same to the passenger side since my wife had her hip replaced, she can't take sitting low.

Anyone done this type of conversion, from manul to power?

Power seats are easy to do, just swap the frames, that's it. The electrical connections are already there whether you had power seats or not originally. If I were you, I would still check craigslist, there always seems to be someone parting out a Firebird on there, and you can use 3rd gen front seats in your car too.

Thread Information