Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

p1361

This is a discussion on p1361 within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I can see nobody has a clue. haha Its all good. I can troubleshoot. Even if I didn't design this ...

New TL /sold my 9th Fbody Chad97SS's Avatar
    I can see nobody has a clue. haha Its all good. I can troubleshoot. Even if I didn't design this machine and even if the system doesn't give me a correct trouble code.

LT1 Guy

Quicksilver
    03 Corvette Z06

I have skimmed over your thread but it seems you have eliminated your issue I thought? Get out an actual multimeter probe the white wire in slot B and verify on the A/C volt scale while somebody is cranking that your getting 5 volts there.

You are looking for the actual voltage. 5 volts is its reference. So 5.5 is to high and 4.5 is to low.

Once you know what the actual voltage is you can back track and prob from there to find out where the extra juice is coming from.

right. I'm not totally sure I fixed it yet, but so far I have not been getting a check engine light. But usually when it came on originally, it waited until it got really hot. Like mid day, idling in traffic, then chug-a-lug and light came on. I will try what you say but I think I can do it without another person. I have aligator clips and I think I can connect the meter and swing it around so I can see it.

However I have this Q. To check it when it's cranking would be better if the engine didnt start. So I can observe for a 3 or 4 seconds while cranking. Otherwise it would start and I have to stop cranking. Is that what you suggest? if so who would you recommend doing that? either pulling the ecm fuse or disconnect the optispark wire? If I disco the optispark wire that may interfere with a proper reading from the ecm. Its all part of the circuit and GM has the most creative engineering.. I'd hate to mis-read something.

Also, why measure anything when cranking? The error occurs (occured) when normal operation. And it never acts up when cold or under 180 degrees.

LT1 Guy

Quicksilver
    03 Corvette Z06

The car is not going to start. Pull the ICM connection its self. That is where you are looking for the voltage. Sorry I should have clearified that. You will read the voltage after it goes through the opti and before it signals the coil. Basicly its the end point so you (we) can trace back from there.

If your voltage is go at this point It could be something as simple as the Frame ground coming off the bracket is not making a good connection.

As for it only acting up when its hot, I am hoping this will tell you if its heating up from the voltage source and not underhood temps.

Like I mentioned before if the voltage is high we can step back through the system to see where the extra voltage is coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by 96slow6 View Post
    You will read the voltage after it goes through the opti and before it signals the coil. Basicly its the end point so you (we) can trace back from there.

Read the voltage after it goes through the opti? what does that mean? I'm not measuring HEI voltage. haha ouch. The only thing coming out of the opti is spark for the plugs. You don't want to try and read that.

And the opti does not signal the coil.. The coil SENDS voltage to the opti. you got it backwards. The coil is not the end point. The coil is what induces high voltage to send to the opti which distributes the spark.

But you're right about measuring voltage at the ICM to see where it's coming from. (as well as measuring the ground, and possibly checking for continuity between the ground wire and chassis ground)
    Last edited by Chad97SS; 09-20-2008 at 01:39 PM.

LT1 Guy

Quicksilver
    03 Corvette Z06

OK Chad I know you are smarter then this. I am not the greatest at saying what I am thinking. At the ICM connection You are reading the 5 volt source and return after it has gone through the optical. Then the signal is routed to the ICM via the PCM (feel better now), to spark the coil.

My only point was that there is not supposed to be any additional power anywhere. All this would do is give a place for any help I could give you to start.

I have no idea why you feel the need to be a pain to some one trying to help you. If you dont want it say so, dont be a jerk.

I drove my camaro 2 days this week and so far no code and not misfiring. Yay!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information