Overheating

This is a discussion on Overheating within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I know you guys have probably answered this one before, but here it goes. I have a 93 Trans am ...

Black
    1993 Trans Am

Overheating

I know you guys have probably answered this one before, but here it goes. I have a 93 Trans am which is overheating. Until recently i never had a problem and the fans always came on almost immediately after starting the vehicle. The temp. on the gauge also never use to go above the first slash on it. Now the temp will climb right about to red, but i wont let it go that far because it freaks me out. I replaced the fans and the coolant temp sensor on the water pump and i still am not having any fan activity. Keep in mind I have over 200,000k on this beast. side note: maybe the previous owner had one of those summit racing fan override relay things installed and it died or something, and maybe thats why the fans use to run so low...? just throwing it out there...Any help is appreciated. She is my daily driver. replaced all the relays and fuses because i already had new ones lying around. Also the fans don't turn on when i turn on the A/C. One thing about the fuse box on the side of the dash tho. There s a blue wire that goes to the 5 fuse for the radio(literally going across the fuse box and branching down in with a copper connection strip that goes over the fuse leg. Is that normally there? If the vehicle is warm and i unhook the sensor on the pump the fans will turn on. unhooked cold the vehicle won't start. I was truthfully starting to think maybe the pcm is bad or something. I formerly worked for Mobil 1 for years and have pretty extensive knowledge on both vehicles and lubricants and testing of the parts. So this one is really stumping me. (copied from lsx general help). hopefully you guys have ideas for me. Thanks

red
    95 Z28

Sounds like you ended up throwing a bunch of money at it in parts and it didnt fix it. I hate to say it, but for alot of people the cheapest way you're going to get your problem diagnosed is to take it to the dealer, pay the diag fee, and let them figure out the issue. Especially on a car that may have been modified, and you've already checked all of the simple things (fuses, relays, sensors, and anything else that can be tested quickly).

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

First thing to do is verify it is an actual overheating problem and not a gauge or sender issue. Do you have access to a laser temp gun?

Black
    1993 Trans Am

No access to a laser temp. gun. And as far as the dealer thing, I'd hate to pay extra money for something i can fix myself. Maybe its time to buy an obd1 scanner. Now heres another question: do you guys think that the SLP override switch is a simple solution? which im going to test unhooking different sensors individually to see what happens. Once this snow stops.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 93TransAm View Post
    And as far as the dealer thing, I'd hate to pay extra money for something i can fix myself.
    Well how much money did it cost to throw all the parts at it? The fans, coolant sensor, etc. See what I'm saying?

Ray Charles blue

How long does it take to get up to temp?

Is the thermostat stuck closed?

Black
    1993 Trans Am

The fans were free because they had a lifetime guarantee. The coolant temp sensor was 20 bucks. The thermostat deff. isn't stuck close. It takes its usual time of a few minutes to get the gauge moving. And yea its deff. getting hot to and from work, every light and construction zone it starts to climb. The longer I'm stuck there the higher it goes.

Black
    1993 Trans Am

Also by replacing these parts with lifetime guarantee parts as these things happen she slowly gets a little younger...mechanically speaking lol

Black
    1993 Trans Am

I've heard of instances where electrical surges have made pcm chips loose info. She is almost 20 and she was a custom ordered one back when from the owner of a dealership. Maybe she lost her tune?

Thread Information