Metallic Black
    1994 Trans am GT

Opti spark problems I think

my upper Radiator hose blew out yesterday causing Antifreeze to run all over the motor and today after I put the new hose on the car it seems to have a miss at about the 3000 to 4500 Rpm range. I have a feeking that its the opti. I cleaned up and changed the ignition coil today and checked all the wires everything seemed to be fine. I do have a spare Opti but I never had ot change one before. Is there anyone here that has done one and can tell me how to make sure the timing is correct when I switch them.

Medium Quasar Blue
    1996 Camaro Z28

If I remember correctly the opti will only go on one way, I don't think that you can put it on wrong. It is also unlike a conventional distributor in that you can't turn it to change the timing manually.

Black
    1997 LT1 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by lt1transamgt94
    my upper Radiator hose blew out yesterday causing Antifreeze to run all over the motor and today after I put the new hose on the car it seems to have a miss at about the 3000 to 4500 Rpm range. I have a feeking that its the opti. I cleaned up and changed the ignition coil today and checked all the wires everything seemed to be fine. I do have a spare Opti but I never had ot change one before. Is there anyone here that has done one and can tell me how to make sure the timing is correct when I switch them.
    i had the same problem today, the car cut off on me twice and was running like crap. i ended up spraying starting fluid in the vented opti lines (probably not the best thing to do) and after letting it sit for a couple of hours the car fired up and running fine now. I just replaced it a couple of months ago and don't feel like doing it again but it's not that hard it's just a bunch of bolts.

Thread Information