Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Opti Install how-to/questions.

This is a discussion on Opti Install how-to/questions. within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; that shit fing sucked, i had the hardest time getting my 94 opti lined up, i had to take it ...

Grey
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM

that shit fing sucked, i had the hardest time getting my 94 opti lined up, i had to take it to a shop, cost me 200 bucks for them to take it apart and line it up right.

white
    96 ws6

I just put my new opti together yesterday and it was very simple not what I expected. My install was very easy because I just got my 383 back and it is still out of the car. Tha balancer and the water pump do need to come off. I found the biggest pain was getting the cam lined up with that hole. I amagine it is very time consuming with everything in the car but diffenatly easier than changing plug wires.

Black
    1996 Trans am

opti is really easy to do, i didnt have no experience whenever i did mine on my 96 lt1 last year, it would fire up or nothing so i changed out the opti and that wasnt even the problem it was the damn coil pack but owell everything is new now...just be sure to track down and have a t4 male and female !!! isearched 30 places and finally had to track down the snap on truck to buy them cause no parts store or tool place carriend them that small, they were expensive little bastards from snap on, so now they sit in a glass case lol !!! but be sure to have them before u do it. torque drive 4 male and female !! its very easy to do just pretty much watch how it comes off and it goes back on, ther harderst thing which isnt even hard will be taking the water pump off lol so good luck bro and be sure to TAKE UR TIME !!!

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

I plan on changing out the entire opti, not just the cap and rotor. I've read about getting the halves of the opti apart to change the cap and rotor, and that most c/r kits include the special bit, but maybe i'm talking about something else here.

I had wondered about also changing out the coil as well, however, from my research everything points to optispark or ign module, as the 'breakup' is down lower in the RPM, not high.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    I plan on changing out the entire opti, not just the cap and rotor. I've read about getting the halves of the opti apart to change the cap and rotor, and that most c/r kits include the special bit, but maybe i'm talking about something else here.

I had wondered about also changing out the coil as well, however, from my research everything points to optispark or ign module, as the 'breakup' is down lower in the RPM, not high.
    thats exactly what my car did. we did the opti waterpump, plugs and wires. turns out it was a burnt plug wire. when we took the opti off and spun it between my fingers it free wheeled and growled so im glad we replaced it.

i have said this before and ill say it again id rather change the opti than change plugs n wires gawd what freakn pain.

Black
    1996 Trans am

well now that i have lt's plug and wires arent as bad BUT are still a pain just not as much, but u can go get the ignition module tested at advanced or auto zone for free, thats what i did, oncei found out it wasnt my opti and all then i just started trying stuff out, first i got the ignition module tested and it was good so i just got a new coil pack and it fired right up, it was the coil pack the whole time, and of course it spit and sputtered and then i changed plugs and wires and it was peeeerrrfffeeccttt!!!!

Green
    '94 Camaro

I changed mine over the weekend. I still have to put the water/antifreeze back in it and bolt down the cai. I have 7 hrs in to it so far. I should only have 20 min more, but the bleeding out the air in the system is always a pain. I had a hi rpm miss/studder. Besides the ignition module, everything else has already been changed out. If the opti doesn't fix the problem, I will be a little pissed, but hey it lasted 15 yrs. How did they test the ign module? This is the little piece that is mounted with the coil right?

Black
    1996 Trans am

if i remember withouth going to go look at the ignition module, it has 2 bolts holding it down and has a plug on the top, looks like a little module, rectagular and about 3 inchs long and a bolt or screw on each side of it (2 total) and u just take it up to auto zone or advanced and tell them u want to test out ur ignition module and they will find the plug thats for it and put it on and in about 1 minute or so it will say if its bad or not

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information