Oil pressure?

This is a discussion on Oil pressure? within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Ive noticed that my oil pressure doesnt move nearly as much as it used to, it stays pretty high, all ...

Oil pressure?

Ive noticed that my oil pressure doesnt move nearly as much as it used to, it stays pretty high, all the time. I used to be able to move the needle with just a press of the gas pedal, now it slowly creaps around. Idle is about 60 and goes to about 70 when cruising. I remember it being alot lower at idle and only going up as the rpms went up, and even a light gas pedal pressure would make the oil pressure guage needle move, now its like in slowmo mode...?

Whats the deal? Think I'll get an oil change today, see if anything changes.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

i would be glad its that high, mine doesnt get to 60 ever.

Trans Am owner
    former

Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
    Ive noticed that my oil pressure doesnt move nearly as much as it used to, it stays pretty high, all the time. I used to be able to move the needle with just a press of the gas pedal, now it slowly creaps around. Idle is about 60 and goes to about 70 when cruising. I remember it being alot lower at idle and only going up as the rpms went up, and even a light gas pedal pressure would make the oil pressure guage needle move, now its like in slowmo mode...?

Whats the deal? Think I'll get an oil change today, see if anything changes.
    when is the last time you had an oil change?

does oil pressure drop to "normal" once it is warmed up?

Nope, even warm it stays high Last oil change was only about a month ago and less then 500 miles-ish?

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
    i would be glad its that high, mine doesnt get to 60 ever.
    No. There is such a thing as too much oil pressure. In a stock or near stock LT1 your oil pressure doesnt ever need to be 60 psi. Smokey Unick's old rule of 10 psi per 1000 rpm was in a day when oils werent nearly as good as they are today. Besides, volume is just as, if not more important than pressure.

LT1 Guy

Quicksilver
    03 Corvette Z06

What has the temp outside been up there?

err in the mornings low 30s to mid 40's i guess? then again 2 weeks ago it was 65... jersey, go figure.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    No. There is such a thing as too much oil pressure. In a stock or near stock LT1 your oil pressure doesnt ever need to be 60 psi. Smokey Unick's old rule of 10 psi per 1000 rpm was in a day when oils werent nearly as good as they are today. Besides, volume is just as, if not more important than pressure.
    very true and well put. after warm up im only at 20 psi or less and dreading any type of motor tear down at this time.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
    very true and well put. after warm up im only at 20 psi or less and dreading any type of motor tear down at this time.

Well, at some point you obviously will need to worry about it. If the tolerances in the motor open up to the point where you start to lose significant pressure then it's time to start thinking about opening the motor. It could also be something as easy as a weak pressure spring in the oil pump. If you really have concerns, send a sample of your engine oil off to be analyzed. It can give you an idea of what metals, and how much of them, are in your oil. This serves as a good indicator of what kind of wear is occuring in your engine.

red
    2000 camaro ss

still having problems? i cant believe no1 told you to hook up a mechanical guage to find out for sure what's going on. that's where i'd start. . . .make sure your pressure is actually doing what your dash guage claims (assuming that's what you're reading). you can plumb it in your block right above your oil filter.

White
    1989 caprice 9C1

prolly got a bad sending unit too. but yea get a el cheapo electric oil pressure gauge and install it under the hood.

it seems to have gone back to normal, I had a crused boot lookin thing on the pcv system, so that wasnt functioning, as soon as it was replaced oil pressure went back to how it has always been and it stopped leaking oil... im guessing the leak was also from way too much pressure, guess i got lucky for a change!

Thread Information