silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

oil leaking EVERYWHERE :(

so, i've had my ws6 for about a month and i'm wishing i never got it..... there is oil EVERYWHERE under the car... i am having a hard time finding a dry spot and now i see that the transmission gasket is leaking also..... <sigh> i don't think it is valve covers or intake but there is oil all over the opti and the CPS sensor. all over the kmember and wires up higher. all down the sides of the block on both sides.

i'm just not experienced enough to fix this and i don't have a mechanic that i trust..... getting bummed....

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Is motor oil or wat?
    You said is leakin from the trans is it auto?
    How many miles
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    Is motor oil or wat?
    You said is leakin from the trans is it auto?
    How many miles
    yeah, it's oil... the whole bottom of the motor is wet with oil and dirt in said oil.

i think the trany is just the pan gasket, yes it is auto so that is prolly an easy fix...

it only has 33k miles and that is prolly the issue. it sat a lot with the last owner and now i'm driving it.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

If it's all under the car (pan, frame etc) then the prime culprit is the front main seal. If it's just all over the back of the engine and tranny then it's likely the intake manifold to valley area. it's a known spot for leaking.

FYI: Any car that has sat for long lengths of time without being run occasionally will have problems with gasket shrinkage. Nature of the beast unfortunately.
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    If it's all under the car (pan, frame etc) then the prime culprit is the front main seal. If it's just all over the back of the engine and tranny then it's likely the intake manifold to valley area. it's a known spot for leaking.

FYI: Any car that has sat for long lengths of time without being run occasionally will have problems with gasket shrinkage. Nature of the beast unfortunately.
    yeah, i kinda knew all of this going in to it but just HOPED that it would be ok... clearly no dice....my own dumb fault. i am going to try and sell it as i have no interest in fixing it.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by krese View Post
    yeah, i kinda knew all of this going in to it but just HOPED that it would be ok... clearly no dice....my own dumb fault. i am going to try and sell it as i have no interest in fixing it.
    If it's a low mileage car then it warrants being fixed.

Depends on if you can do it or if you can afford it...

red
    93 Trans am

The seal on the timing cover for the water pump drive seal in timing cover might be leaking that's above the opti. I had that leak on me.
    Last edited by Y2KPewterSS; 09-08-2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: removed link to forum

red
    95 Z28

i am going to try and sell it as i have no interest in fixing it.

Really? wow... I'm sure with a little effort you could hook up with some local folks that could either help you out or point you in the right direction. Not worth selling a low mileage car because it needs a few gaskets replaced... that's just stupid (no offense).

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Really? wow... I'm sure with a little effort you could hook up with some local folks that could either help you out or point you in the right direction. Not worth selling a low mileage car because it needs a few gaskets replaced... that's just stupid (no offense).

as stated i don't have the money, time or friends that can help. i basically blew what money i could spend on a car with low mileage because i thought it would be safer than buying a car with 100k+ on the clock for the same price. that was the stupid part. i don't enjoy working on cars past doing maintenance items such as brakes/oil changes or car stereo stuff. i just don't. if you want to call me stupid for buying it or wanting to get rid of it that is fine, i guess i deserve it cause i feel stupid about the whole thing.

Black
    1997 Camaro z28 Bad Kitty

Only 33 k ? ... . ... maybe 133k .....so...first ,wash the engine and chassis and drive few miles, then check on the lift in some workshop, from where you have these leaks, it might not be a big problem and big money ... do not sell the car because of the seals or gasket leaks................. now , smile and repair this car.....
    Last edited by DannyK; 09-09-2010 at 06:21 PM.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Here is a thought:

1-Spray some Simple Green on the engine and surrounding areas
    2-Hose off areas
    3-Let dry
    4-Check with engine running to see where and how bad the actual leak is. You don't wanna sell the car if you have, say, a broken oil pressure sender.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

lol Like I said on the other forum, how much you want for it?

red
    95 Z28

as stated i don't have the money, time or friends that can help. i basically blew what money i could spend on a car with low mileage because i thought it would be safer than buying a car with 100k+ on the clock for the same price. that was the stupid part. i don't enjoy working on cars past doing maintenance items such as brakes/oil changes or car stereo stuff. i just don't. if you want to call me stupid for buying it or wanting to get rid of it that is fine, i guess i deserve it cause i feel stupid about the whole thing.

Well, I guess if you're willing to give up that easy, just sell it to someone that will fix it up. What will really piss you off is if you sell it to someone with some mechanical ability that spends a couple hundred bucks and a weekend's time to make it a perfect 33K mile car. And you'll no doubt lose money on this deal if you sell it now.

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

i dont blame you for just getting angry at a almost brand new car leaking.
    but it is worth just giving it a quick bath and trying to figure out EXACTLY what is leaking. perfect example. my dads GTO started just pooring oil on the driveway about a week ago. and he was so frustrated he just wanted to sell it. but i convinced him to let me take a quick looky. i lifted it up washed it off ran it and let it cool for a few hours....guess what it ended up being. the oil filter. he hit a dip in the road that had a high spot! nicked the filter just enough to give some space between the block and O-ring...new filter on and good as new! it may not be that simple on your but atleast give it a chance if you really enjoy the car.

Thread Information