Charcoal grey
    93' Z28

Just got my first Z28

Hi glad to be part of the community. I just bought my first camaro, its a 1993 Z28 auto and I picked her up for $1200 with a few stupid things bad like A/C, window regulator, headliner, rusted off exhaust but she's in overall good condition. I've always driven manuals I cant stand automatics so I've been thinking about doing a 6 speed conversion but that will cost more than I payed for the car and I'm having a hard time justifying that. Also my plans are to make it stupid fast, have fun with it for a while then sell it for a little profit if not break even so also wondering if keeping it auto won't hinder and maybe even help my quest to a lower 1/4 mile et. This is a nice change for me like a breath of fresh air since I'm coming from the world of wrong wheel drive and no torque. Thanks in advance, pics to come when I get around to it. -Tom
    Last edited by Sureshot; 10-23-2006 at 09:03 PM.

sethta
    An auto can run a low et with a stall and gears. I would keep it an auto

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Stalled autos will eat 6 speeds all day at the track.

And welcome.

Charcoal grey
    93' Z28

Thanks, at this point I'm just doing research and looking at other peoples setups to find the best bang for my buck. I hate to even bring the word nitrous up but I'm considering that as something on the side since I only plan to drive this thing on nice clear days and even then I'm just cruising. First thing I'm going to do though is make everything right on it and that includes new exhaust and I/E manifold gaskets so I'm thinking about magnaflow catback and hooker headers. It also has bigger injectors but I'm not sure how much they are helping since it tends to stutter at certain rpm's, barely noticeble though. I've been out of the game for a while so any other suggestions are appreciated.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

That stutter could be the opti. I hate those damn things. Since its a '93, I'd go ahead and do a tune-up on it. Plugs and wires at least and see if that doesn't help. Full exhaust is good, maybe add some sort of CAI and a cooler thermo. A stall and gears are always nice too.

sethta
    If you want some more suggestions get the new gm high-tech- performance magazine. They are currently doing a build on a 94 LT1. If it's a 93 you will want to replace the plugs and wires as a minimum. Also an underdrive pulley is a good mod to free up some horsepower.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by sethta View Post
    If you want some more suggestions get the new gm high-tech- performance magazine. They are currently doing a build on a 94 LT1. If it's a 93 you will want to replace the plugs and wires as a minimum. Also an underdrive pulley is a good mod to free up some horsepower.
    Hell yeah, I've been following up that formula build. Its good to know the LT1 hasn't been completely overshadowed by the Gen III and Gen IV motors. BUt they cut off the latest article in the middle of the opti swap. I am pissed about that.

Red
    1996 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Sureshot View Post
    Hi glad to be part of the community. I just bought my first camaro, its a 1993 Z28 auto and I picked her up for $1200 with a few stupid things bad like A/C, window regulator, headliner, rusted off exhaust but she's in overall good condition. I've always driven manuals I cant stand automatics so I've been thinking about doing a 6 speed conversion but that will cost more than I payed for the car and I'm having a hard time justifying that. Also my plans are to make it stupid fast, have fun with it for a while then sell it for a little profit if not break even so also wondering if keeping it auto won't hinder and maybe even help my quest to a lower 1/4 mile et. This is a nice change for me like a breath of fresh air since I'm coming from the world of wrong wheel drive and no torque. Thanks in advance, pics to come when I get around to it. -Tom
    Put a higher stall converter and 3:73 gears in. It will be a seat of the pants difference like going from stock Honda 4 banger to your LT1 Camaro. It will probably completely change your mind on autos.

Charcoal grey
    93' Z28

Which stall would you suggest on the camaros?

Red
    1996 Trans Am

Which stall would you suggest on the camaros?
    I would get at least a 2800 stall for a stock motor. If I were you I would do gears first and then buy a stall converter because who ever you buy a converter from they will stall it based on your rear end gear ratio. My suggestions for a converter would be from http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/
    I bought a 3000 stall from them a couple years ago and I love it. I have a buddy that has a Precision industries vigilante 2800 stall and it is pretty good also.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Do you plan on get a cam for the car? If you are, I'd wait on the stall, until you get the cam so you can match the stall to the cam. You don't want to buy the same thing twice.

Charcoal grey
    93' Z28

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    Do you plan on get a cam for the car? If you are, I'd wait on the stall, until you get the cam so you can match the stall to the cam. You don't want to buy the same thing twice.
    Yeah I'm not sure just yet. It's been sitting since I bought it and today I'm going to clean it up take pics and make a final list of everything I need to make it legit.

For right now:

Magnaflow catback-What else has a nice tone?
    1 lowbeam
    1 fog light
    Seal T-tops they are leaking, headliner sagging from it
    Secure center console better

Then possibly:
    LT headers
    Higher geared rear
    ZEX dry kit 75-125hp
    Stall converter
    Mild Cam
    Tuning

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Yeah I'm not sure just yet. It's been sitting since I bought it and today I'm going to clean it up take pics and make a final list of everything I need to make it legit.

For right now:

Magnaflow catback-What else has a nice tone?
    1 lowbeam
    1 fog light
    Seal T-tops they are leaking, headliner sagging from it
    Secure center console better

Then possibly:
    LT headers
    Higher geared rear
    ZEX dry kit 75-125hp
    Stall converter
    Mild Cam
    Tuning

Magnaflow is very popular but doesn't produce the raw sound that some like. Loudmouth is an option, but most don't like it when combined with LT's and an ORY. Go to www.ls1sounds.com to get clips from different setups that people have.

You might also want to add something to the intake to help the engine inhale better.

Charcoal grey
    93' Z28

Thanks, it has a K&N cold air. After a quick spin it was steadily overheating and by the time I pulled back into the driveway it was in the red and stalled. Applying any amount of throttle made it bog down and run on less cylinders but after letting it sit for a while it was good again

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Check your coolant and maybe get a cooler thermo, maybe a 180* or 160* and get the fans tuned to come on sooner. Make sure the radiator lines don't have any air bubbles.

Red
    1996 Trans Am

Thanks, it has a K&N cold air. After a quick spin it was steadily overheating and by the time I pulled back into the driveway it was in the red and stalled. Applying any amount of throttle made it bog down and run on less cylinders but after letting it sit for a while it was good again
    I would first make sure there is no air in the cooling system by opening the bleed valves.

Charcoal grey
    93' Z28

Ok I completely bled it of air got a decent amount of bubbles, we'll see if it helps.
    Last edited by Sureshot; 11-10-2006 at 11:53 AM.
    Crx turboCamaro Z28

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

It should, those bubbles are air that you don't want in the engine.

Charcoal grey
    93' Z28

No overheating yet...

Thread Information