silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

new catback on my TA (today's project)

so, the stock exhaust just had to go.... wasn't loud enough for me so here was my project for this afternoon:

off with the old crap:

here is the new (slp loudmouth 2) with the tips that i'm not going to use... i got some you prolly have not seen before on an fbody!

here is another shot of the new exhaust

tips that came with it are nice but not good enough for me!

here is one of the tips that i'm going to use

here is the hanger on the pass side of the car.. this made things hard. i don't like this hanger style at all

a shot from the center.. looks sooo much better w/o that big ole muffler there!

driver side

here she is with the tips on (they still need some adjustment but i was done for the night)

it is leaking like a bastard from a few sections so i will need to get back under there and suck those clamps down more. if i crank them down too much could it kink the pipe to the point where it will leak worse? i cranked them down rather hard but it is still leaking....

this exhaust is loud though.. not sure if i like yet.. will have to wait till i have time to get her out on the road and really get a feel for it.

it was a bitch though, kinda wish i just took it to a shop and had them to it but at least i didn't throw any tools!
    Last edited by krese; 09-22-2010 at 06:03 AM.
    96 Trans AM WS6 (only 36k miles): Pacesetter LTs, ORY, magnaflow, !egr, !air, BMR STB, BMR LCAs, UMI SFCs, Alpine type R components up front, 2 12" Alpine type E subs, Alpine CDE-102 deck, Alpine 500m amp

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Good motivation, I had a shop do mine. I got my catback off ebay used for 200 with shipping and paid a guy 200 to put it on. Sounds awesome. I had a guy in a ZO6 give me the thumbs up after revving right next to him at a stop light. I took it to Las Vegas, and just happened to pass through Fremont Street which is fully enclosed, and this was the only road that passed through. Like 9-10 at night. Friday. There were people like 20 deep on each side of the street when I passed through at like 6 mph. No stereo on. I heard them screaming REV IT UP. So I obliged. OH MY FUDJFING GOD! That was SLP catback, factory manifolds. They were SCREAMING!. It pretty much made my weekend.

So, since I got mine used, I got damaged tips, wanna sell me yours? PM me.

Red
    1997 Z28

Congrats

I am on the fence between the LM2 and the GMMG. I can't make up my mind. How is the resonance in the car?

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

flip the tips, they are upside down. doesn't look right...

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    flip the tips, they are upside down. doesn't look right...
    WOW! I was thinking the exact same thing.

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

not a fan of slp. but congrats on doing it yourself! and its always a good day that you can get through working on an f-body and not throw a tool lol

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

off topic but....

i am guessing you are keeping the car? lol and did you ever figure out your oil leak?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    WOW! I was thinking the exact same thing.
    Me too.

Congrats on doing it yourself! What kind of clamps are you using. You shouldn't have any leaks, even with the standard u-bolt style, if the pipes are put together correctly. If you can't get it to stop leaking, you can always go somewhere and have it all welded together.

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

are those tips off a Mazda? I swear I seen one that looked just like those

black
    '02 trans am ws6

They're the tips SLP made for the G8 from what I can tell (lookin at it on cell). They're nice.....on G8s that is.

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

the tips were made for the slp powerflo system for 04+ grand prix. i bought the system for my 06 GT and could not stand it. nobody else wanted it either i junked the powerflo and kept the tips thinking that i could use them for something some day. i actually took them off the TA and put the ones that came with the loudmouth on. i am not sure which ones i will keep on the car just yet.

and they are NOT upside down in the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by TmaxicanA View Post
    off topic but....

i am guessing you are keeping the car? lol and did you ever figure out your oil leak?

yeah well.. i spent a lot of time this past saturday with degreaser and a hose getting all the oil off. after putting about 100 miles on it or so i went back under the car and found a few things... first that it seems to be leaking at the dipstick where it goes in to the block so that should be an easy fix. i also still have a leak in the front that i can't seem to track down yet. i also found that some of the mess in the back is actually coolant which is never a good sign at the back of the motor.

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

ok, so i drove my car to work today and it was the first chance i got to drive it since i put the exhaust on... i have to say that i'm in love with the sound! it is deep and mellow at idle and loud isn't a good enough word to describe the sound when i get on it. i had it next to my coworker's 96 SS with the 2otl and at idle the LM2 was a bit louder and had a much better lope tone to it. at wot the LM2 was 10x better.... the 2otl has a nice tone to it but if you want loud it isn't what you want. there is a bit of drone at around 2k but i don't mind it at all.. to my ear v8 drone is still a v8! much better than fartcan v6 or 4banger drone. i will enjoy this exhaust greatly for sure and that is saying a lot because i'm a picky bastard.

i still need to get the leaks resolved. i am on the fence about taking it to a shop.. i may get it back up on ramps tonight, take all the clams off one by one and see if i can readjust them to sit a bit better.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by krese View Post

and they are NOT upside down in the pics.
    can you atleast flip them and post a pic up to entertain us.

to me, the flat portion needs to be at the top since the top opening is flat, and the curved portion on the bottom to flow with the lower part of the bumper. visually it does not look correct, that's all im saying.

pretty please!?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I think those tips sit pretty good with the openings in the bumper. I'm glad you are keeping the car mang.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    can you atleast flip them and post a pic up to entertain us.

to me, the flat portion needs to be at the top since the top opening is flat, and the curved portion on the bottom to flow with the lower part of the bumper. visually it does not look correct, that's all im saying.

pretty please!?
    Pretty pretty please?

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I think those tips sit pretty good with the openings in the bumper. I'm glad you are keeping the car mang.
    I am glad he is keeping the car, too nice not to do so!

Thread Information