white
    1995 LT1

Need help! Want to build a LT1 stroker!

I know this is the wrong forum but I need as much help as possible! I'm going to build a 383 stroker for my 95 z28 and I dont like the way the local shops build motors. Heard stories of people not haveing done what is supposed to be done to their motors. So I would rather go to a reputable company like, Lingenfelter or someone else who is well known with LT1's and Chevy motors in general. Hopefully someone can send me in the right direction! By the way I'm going with a sigle turbo set-up. Maby STS. I know people dont like them but for the price I can turn it down. I seen one run before and it was definately fast! I have a set of brand new AFR 210cc heads with a 64 combstion chamber. I just need a short black and dont know where I can get one that will be built right! I'm going to call Exotic Performance on Monday. I see this guy does alot of work on Camaro's, so I figured to give them a call.

Thanks
    Jman!

white
    1995 LT1

Sorry for the double post!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jmangler
    I'm going to build a 383 stroker for my 95 z28 and I dont like the way the local shops build motors. Heard stories of people not haveing done what is supposed to be done to their motors. So I would rather go to a reputable company like, Lingenfelter or someone else who is well known with LT1's and Chevy motors in general.

I just need a short black and dont know where I can get one that will be built right! I'm going to call Exotic Performance on Monday. I see this guy does alot of work on Camaro's, so I figured to give them a call.
    I would choose Eddie's over Lingenfelter any day of the week. His service is the best in the state of New Jersey (IMHO), and he's very reasonable, price-wise. Check him out.
    Last edited by Street Lethal; 10-22-2005 at 12:58 PM.

white
    1995 LT1

Cool thanks for the info! I will have to check him out! I don't know of many engine builders! Non the less in Jersey! Glad to see someone from Jersey on this site!

lt4ever
    Actually all you need is a good machinist. I'm in the process right now of building my 383. I bought a used LT1 short block from a junk yard. Cost me $100... plus it came with the whole rotating assembly as well as cam and oil pump and motor mounts and a few other incidentals. I had the block magnafluxed, pressure checked, and heat backed and then shot peened. Turns out the block had a few spun mains, but after line honing and clearancing the block webbing for necessary rod clearance and having the cylinder bores bored 0.030 over and honed... it's a brand new block. All of that cost me about $300-$400 bucks. I bought a sweet rotating assembly with 4.030 pistons, 6.000 forged H-beam rods and a forged crank with a 3.75 stroke. The machinist balanced the whole rotating assembly and matched rods and wrist pins and pistons and drilled the crank for proper internal balance. Put everything together is the fun part. I'm currently filing my ring gaps... (takes a while) see my other post on this subject... I'll tell you the clearances you'll need and the steps to take if you want to build the engine yourself. Trust me... you can do this... I've NEVER built an engine before... and it's going just fine as long as I take my time. A normal seasoned engine builder wold have had it assembled already... but I'm running into rod bearing clearances and need to order more rod bearings to get the clearance I want. But dude, it's fun!!!

Thread Information