completely stock. So anyways, I'm looking for some long tube headers
    and a y-pipe that will either hook up to my stock catalytic or if I
    have to I'll buy a high flow catalytic too but I need one that will
    work with my cat-back exhaust system. Unfortunately I've been
    unlucky in finding such a thing. Am I a complete idiot for not being
    able to find long tube headers that will allow me to keep my exhaust
    system? I was just wondering if anyone has ever done anything like
    this or has any ideas or advice for me. I'm a bit of a noob with
    this I'll admit but I'm trying to learn.
    Any help or input is appreciated!

Member Since Aug 2000 LS1 Eddie's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure any decent muffler shop could make up a Y-Pipe for you. This should not make a difference in your choice of headers. In my case, I got mid-length's (which I love) with a Y-Pipe and had my cat welded onto it and hooked up to my Borla. Everything works fine.
    1995 Camaro Z-28
    Black/Neutral|A4 GU5
    Modifications:
    Borla, MAC Mid's, SLP Level 1 Suspension with Prokit, SLP STB, SLP CAI, 1LE Elbow,Phillips HID, Advanced Induction 180cc Heads/224 Cam,Built 355, Yank 3200

sunfire yellow
    1993 trans am

I have a 93 trans am, I have pacesetter LT's on with the pacesetter y-pipe. but you would have to move you cat. converter back. the y-pipe is alittle longer. I just took mine off, but if you have to get emissions, than you can just move your cat back alittle...good ground clearance also, had no problems once I got mine hooked up..got mine on ebay ceramic coated w/y-pipe for around 550.00

camaro_ss_97_
    pacsetter lt's all the way

sped
    the diameter of the collector on the stock catalytic is 2.5" right?

sunfire yellow
    1993 trans am

Yeah I think so, the y-pipe on the pacesetter is 3" but a muffler shop can put a reducer on it,pretty cheap...not a problem if you can take off the cat.

sped
    yeah i saw the pacesetter was a 3". the pacesetter lt's and y pipe is what i'm thinking i want most at this point. is there any way of putting a reducer on that would allow me to keep my catalytic istead of taking it off?

sunfire yellow
    1993 trans am

yeah the muffler shops should have a reducer to go from 3" to 2 1/2" and go onto your cat. but I believe you still have to move the cat back. should not be to big of deal.. especially since we don't have any 02's behind cat. but I will tell you one thing, you will prob. need to get heated 02's..because the stock 02's will be moved farther down, and will not heat up properly. mine was doing that and not going in closed loop, causing me to run really lean. bought new heated bosch 02's from napa 65.00 apiece and put them on, did not get extensions though, I soldered longer wires on there and hooked them up. fixed problem. so you will have to do a few things diff. when you put them on...

sped
    alright, that's about all i need to know. thanks a lot for the help!

matlt1
    IMO I wouldn't worry about investing in a high flow cat seeing that you are in Michigan. We don't have sniffer tests here.

sped
    i'm thinking that too! and to make it better, i'm in the u.p. so to get a cop to even give you a second glance you have to have a true dual exhaust setup with nothing but straight pipes and flame throwers.

matlt1
    Yeah, I drove my car to an autocross with an open exhaust this fall. I went by atleast two state cops and they didn't even blink LOL The event was amusing seeing that most of the cars attending were rice burners.

sped
    hahahaha niiiice. rice burners always are cause for a good chuckle!

hey if you run the car with no cats i know it's going to be loud, but is it really annoying loud?

matlt1
    No it isn't that loud without cats. When I first put my cat-back (Flowmaster SOR with 30-series muffler)on I could hardly tell the difference at idle and cruising. When I hollowed my cat the exhaust sounded much more aggressive and the volume was louder but not too significant. You can still have a conversation in the car without a problem.

But yeah, like the guys sadi up above you can get the pace setters for fairly cheap and either buy their y-pipe or have one made. These Y-pipes will attach to your existing catback with a little cutting.
    Last edited by matlt1; 12-11-2005 at 06:26 PM.

Black/Black
    96 Vert Z28-RIP/94 TT Z28

I don't know what the smog regs. are out in Michigan but out here in smog nazi California it's illegal to change the location of your cat. Regardless of that though I have Pacesetter longtubes with their cat-less y-pipe and a hooker cat-back, sounds awesome but I do have trouble ordering at the drive-thru.

sped
    sweet! that's enough good remarks for me, i think i'll go with the pacesetter lt's, no cats. i got one more quick question just cuz i'm a bit paranoid about this. and before i get roasted for this i'm not saying the two cars are similar or anything, but my friend had a ford poostang with headers and no cats and the thing backfired all the time. sometimes flames would even shoot out the exhaust pipes! nobody's experiencing these same things right?? and if i want the cat off i'm going to have to do it myself because no mechanics shop or any place can legally do that?

matlt1
    When you order the headers you can get a y-pipe that comes without the cat. You will need a new y-pipe anyways when you get the headers. No need to have a mechanic remove the cat assuming you can install the headers yourself.

sunfire yellow
    1993 trans am

once in a great while, mine will backfire or pop, just during wot..and when I let off... maybe once a night,, no cat,,

Thread Information