Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

Talking My first stroker ever!!!!!

Ok. So I answered a craigslist ad for a 396 lt1 short block for $150. Called the guy and he says he has basically the entire and does not need it anymore since he's going BBC. Now, I get there and what he has is a 2bolt block with all machine work done, eagle forged crank, h beam rods, alum heads with a port&polish job, backcut valves, patriot springs good to.600lift, new water pump, alt,fuel rails with 36lb injectors,new opti,aluminum intake elbow, mass air,intake, granatelli 255lph fuel pump, ls1 lifters with tie bars and spider, valve covers, cloyes double roller chain, new rings and a set of probe forged 9.8:1 pistons still in the box. Well C-N-C motors somewhere up north did the short lock for him and it was around 14:1NOT a pump gas motor. Well his wife drove it a week and ran 87 in it and detonated the ring lands off 4 pistons, thus the need for the new probe ones which are still in the box with full floating wrist pins too. Well I drove all that home in my trunk for the paltry sum of $700. I still need ECM, harness and a few accesories and gaskets but is that a deal or what?????im running a 355 sbc in my malibu now with a t56 from a lt1 car. I can't wait to build this sucker!!!!!

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

Oh, the block is not scratched at all from the pistons since it was minor damage and it is a neutral balanced engine. So I might have a question or two on that.

red
    95 Z28

Sounds like an awesome deal. Do yourself a favor though and have everything checked out at a reputable machine shop to make sure everything is good to be put back together. And maybe have them run a hone through all the cylinders so new rings will seat properly. You may also want to have the rods and pistons rebalanced since you have new pistons.

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

Yea my neighbor knows the shop foreman at eagle. He and I are going to go thru it methodically to be sure. He owns a 9 sec nova and is a wicked good engine builder. The new probe pistons are the exact size and weight of the old ones so it should all be good. But yes double checking is good advice.

red
    95 Z28

I would at least put a new crosshatch in the cylinders, and have the block completely cleaned before reassembly.

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

Yea, I plan on all that for sure. It will be cleaned thoroughly and as far as the crosshatch goes I can still see the old ones unbelievably. But for piece of mind ill hit it again.

red
    95 Z28

Thread Information