Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

msd vs stock opti

This is a discussion on msd vs stock opti within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by N20LT4 Ironic. I owned a Sebring Silver '95 T/A back in '00. It was a 6-speed, gray ...

Silver
    1995 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Ironic. I owned a Sebring Silver '95 T/A back in '00. It was a 6-speed, gray cloth, t-top car with a little under 100k miles. Ended up wrapping it into the side of someones garage Had big plans for that car.
    Wrapped into the side of a garage??? Sounds like there is a story there. But really, that sux!

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by tamatt79 View Post
    Wrapped into the side of a garage??? Sounds like there is a story there. But really, that sux!
    Yup. I was 19 or 20 at the time. Guzzled a few cold ones. Dumped the clutch @ about four grand and wheel-hopped my way into a 180 - and then a garage. Totalled the car. I was sad

gettin my car back later today, just had the msd opti put in and a new air pump, ill let ya know if i feel/hear anythin different. the adjustable timing thing is cool though on the msd, wonder how accessible it is installed though

HUGE difference from what it was but I had a faulty opti for months so...

biggest difference i noticed is that it sounds amazing, its so even. throttle is smooth as it has ever been.

very happy!

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

buy the msd. you will never have another problem again. i went through 5 opti's before the $515 msd. it was like a new car again. who cares its 100-200 more. its worth it not to have to tow it 4 times like i did.

Quote Originally Posted by 440 rwhp trans am View Post
    buy the msd. you will never have another problem again. i went through 5 opti's before the $515 msd. it was like a new car again. who cares its 100-200 more. its worth it not to have to tow it 4 times like i did.
    I've never had problems with stock opti's like you have stated I get 100,000 miles out of them no problem.

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I've never had problems with stock opti's like you have stated I get 100,000 miles out of them no problem.
    so you have 200-300k on the clock to prove you have no problem? i agree the stock one you get when you buy the car new is going to last you a while but the "oem" they sell now are shit!

so you have 200-300k on the clock to prove you have no problem? i agree the stock one you get when you buy the car new is going to last you a while but the "oem" they sell now are shit!
    I've had a few I've done this with yes

I recently helped a friend of mine install a new OEM opti on his impala and I didn't see any problems with quality on the new ones either. Looked identical to the original that came off. Car has been running like a champ been playin with LT1's for a long time and I've never had the opti issues that everyone complains about,,,I've even spilled antifreeze all over them (by accident of course) and they never skip a beat
    They are sealed units with rubber gaskets on the cap and housing,,,so technically water/oil shouldn't be able to get in them anyway,,,unless the rubber ring was folded or cut during the install. Not the opti's fault.

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I've had a few I've done this with yes

I recently helped a friend of mine install a new OEM opti on his impala and I didn't see any problems with quality on the new ones either. Looked identical to the original that came off. Car has been running like a champ been playin with LT1's for a long time and I've never had the opti issues that everyone complains about,,,I've even spilled antifreeze all over them (by accident of course) and they never skip a beat
    They are sealed units with rubber gaskets on the cap and housing,,,so technically water/oil shouldn't be able to get in them anyway,,,unless the rubber ring was folded or cut during the install. Not the opti's fault.
    well your one in a million. im just saying that most people have a ton of problems with them, even more when you get into high hp. and i have had my fare share of the ole lt1.

just consider it like this. you have a car thats fully paid off and has a lot of money put into it. do you buy full coverage insurance or liability? i'm a full coverage type of guy.

go msd or the convertion to coil packs and be done.

well your one in a million. im just saying that most people have a ton of problems with them, even more when you get into high hp. and i have had my fare share of the ole lt1.

just consider it like this. you have a car thats fully paid off and has a lot of money put into it. do you buy full coverage insurance or liability? i'm a full coverage type of guy.

go msd or the convertion to coil packs and be done.
    LOL, sometimes I wonder if all these problems are brought on by other things though. Most all of them I tear apart with a problem wasn't the opti per say,,,,,it was the sealed bearing the shaft rides on,,,,,with no oil lubrication this bearing gets worn and the shaft tends to wobble slightly,,,which is what causes the high rpm misfires and such. Thats what I find with 99% of them. And this takes some mileage to do so,,,, or alot of hard high rpm driving,,,,, or maybe an engine that has been overheated once or twice,,,not necessarily the opti's fault.

A sealed bearing only lasts so long. The MSD is the same way,,,there is no way around it with this design. I think that is the opti's real downfall. Not like the good ole days when the distributor shaft was constantly lubed with engine oil.
    If the opti had that I wouldn't be surprised if it lasted the life of the car,,,,aside from cap and rotor changes of course

Silver
    1995 Trans Am

Well, the car i am dealing with has just over 200,000 miles on it with no obvious signs of the opti being replaced. Car wasnt running perfect when i traded for it, and i guess a few runs down the 1/8th made it worse. I am leaning towards the MSD, but without true experience to talk about, i am just going on a notion. just kills my sole to think a tune up will cost way over a grand though.

95 T/A
    79 T/A-T/A
    75 Hurst/Olds

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information