MSD 6AL install help

This is a discussion on MSD 6AL install help within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Motors out so I might as well get the parts installed that have been sitting in my closet... but its ...

MSD 6AL install help

Motors out so I might as well get the parts installed that have been sitting in my closet... but its been awhile since i looked this over so any info would be a big help, especially if anyone has done an install personally. 96' LT1.

I have:

MSD 6AL w soft touch rev contrtol pn6420
    96-97 single connecter blaster coil pn8231
    96 GM to MSD harness pn8877

Anything else I need for the garage to install this?

My biggest concern is that the MSD6AL box is that it came with 3,6,7 and 8k rpm plugs, but i thought it was able to go down to 100rpm steps... 6k is to low and 7k is to high for the cam. how do i set it differntly? the manual this came with is not very helpful. also, will this interfere with the computers rev limiter? i had pcm for less do the tune and im pretty sure he set it to where the cam specified... will i not even need to install the soft touch modual on the msd then?

Also, it says not to use the system with solid core spark plug wires... i have the taylor spiro-pro 8mm wires... spiro i'm assuming means the core is spiral wound and not solid? also, the wires are already installed on the motor, will i need all new wires to run to the 6al box/coil setup or should that no even matter? i'm not familiar with the electrical system in terms of routing. where does the coil and this box sit in the setup? pics would be awesome or diagram.

thanks all! i know its a tall order.

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

If you want to set the rev limiter at something besides what chips they gave you, you will have to buy new ones. They also make a box that has dials for the adjustments in rpm. I would throw a chip in there regardless of the tune, just to be safe. They want spiral core wires because solid throw off EMI. Find a good place on the firewall or fender to mount the box. Make sure you use the rubber mounts they give you, msd boxes dont like vibration. The coil you have might be a stock replacement, otherwise you have to make a mount. Make sure it is as close to the distributer as you can get it. Have you upgraded the cap and rotor? A stock one wont be able to handle the extra juice and will probaly fail on you.

nah i have the MSD opti in there actually less then 500 miles on it, i hope that damned things will hold up for the price! do you happen to know what if any limitation is on the box if i dont install a chip? will the emc tuned cut off still work as a backup?

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

I dont know if the box will work without a chip. You can just use a higher one than what you need then. The ecm will still work as normal.

alright think thats it...thanks guys!

Thread Information