Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

MPG with new cam?

This is a discussion on MPG with new cam? within the LT1 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; You can not seriously think that a 52mm T/B is only worth 1-2 hp over stock. Try 8-12 hp and ...

LT1 Guy

Quicksilver
    03 Corvette Z06

You can not seriously think that a 52mm T/B is only worth 1-2 hp over stock. Try 8-12 hp and 20-25 ft/lbs of torque on a bolt-on car.

Black
    '96 Impala SS & '14 SS

Quote Originally Posted by 96slow6 View Post
    You can not seriously think that a 52mm T/B is only worth 1-2 hp over stock. Try 8-12 hp and 20-25 ft/lbs of torque on a bolt-on car.
    That's what I've seen on back-to-back dyno runs on several F- and B-bodies......on several occasions.....specifically, 8 to 11 HP at the wheels!

And you really just can't compare dyno runs taken of different dynos and/or on different days; to many possible variants. The best method is back-to-back dyno runs.....and it only takes 20-30 minutes to swap out a TB when you know what you're doing.

As for the FI 502; the only reason that GM used the 48mm TB on that engine was because the forcasted volume of sales did not justify the cost of the machining and retooling necessary to produce a larger TB.

KW

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by KW Baraka View Post
    That's what I've seen on back-to-back dyno runs on several F- and B-bodies......on several occasions.....specifically, 8 to 11 HP at the wheels!

And you really just can't compare dyno runs taken of different dynos and/or on different days; to many possible variants. The best method is back-to-back dyno runs.....and it only takes 20-30 minutes to swap out a TB when you know what you're doing.

As for the FI 502; the only reason that GM used the 48mm TB on that engine was because the forcasted volume of sales did not justify the cost of the machining and retooling necessary to produce a larger TB.

KW
    Until someone can show me a comparison that backs these claims I won't believe it. I've been modding LTx's for almost a decade now and have seen several cars (including a couple of mine) that have either benefitted very little or nothing at all from a throttle body swap. I did a throttle body swap in '02 on a '94 M6 with a K&N FIPK, 1LE elbow, 160 stat, high-flow cat, SLP cat-back and 3" cutout. The throttle body of choice was an Edelbrock 52mm. The throttle body showed absolutely no increase in power from the previous dyno session, which was only 8 days prior to the TB install. It was more bark then bite, with increased part throttle performance and gave the motor a more aggressive sound. In otherwords, it "felt" faster, but really wasn't. I then ported my intake and installed a Holley 58mm unit, and with no other modifications gained 5 rwhp. Now horsepower is horsepower, but wasn't worth the $400 I dished out to purchase. Read other comments from the link I posted above and their are others that have had the same experience.

I have however, like stated before, seen good increases on more extensively modded (heads,cam,stroker etc.) cars.

As far as the 502 comment, my point was that the 502 is capable of producing very good power with the 48mm unit.

Black
    '96 Impala SS & '14 SS

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Until someone can show me a comparison that backs these claims I won't believe it......
    Your 'belief' isn't required.

.......The throttle body showed absolutely no increase in power from the previous dyno session, which was only 8 days prior to the TB install......
    Like I said earlier.....you CANNOT compare dyno runs from different days.

And hour later? Perhaps.

A week later? No fruggin' way!!!

KW

10's N/A

Oh well, no need to continue trying to convince you. Don't have the time (or the care, really). It's sunny outside...i'd rather go take a cruise in my "Low 11-sec LT1"...(which has a Mono-Blade by the way, in case you wanted to know.)

LT1 Guy

Quicksilver
    03 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by KW Baraka View Post

KW
    We are noob's over hear KW. So our input is not worth anything I guess. Even though you are one of the leaders of the ss forum and me of ls1lt1. Oh well. I figured it would be us that argued not this guy.

Oh well, no need to continue trying to convince you. Don't have the time (or the care, really). It's sunny outside...i'd rather go take a cruise in my "Low 11-sec LT1"...(which has a Mono-Blade by the way, in case you wanted to know.)
    WOW. Low 11 seconds. You should be proud. You are a couple tenth's faster then the bolt-on record car.

I am sorry I am not one to talk trash usually, but for you, I will make an exception.

If throttle bodies are so useless then why would you run a Monoblade? Which is in fact pretty useless with out a Blower?

Black
    '96 Impala SS & '14 SS

We are noob's over hear KW. So our input is not worth anything I guess. Even though you are one of the leaders of the ss forum and me of ls1lt1. Oh well. I figured it would be us that argued not this guy.......
    Yeah.....go figure .

I'm out......you have a great week !

KW

LT1 Guy

Quicksilver
    03 Corvette Z06

Take it easy man. Are you going to be over our forum or are you out for the week period?

10's N/A

We are noob's over hear KW. So our input is not worth anything I guess. Even though you are one of the leaders of the ss forum and me of ls1lt1. Oh well. I figured it would be us that argued not this guy.

WOW. Low 11 seconds. You should be proud. You are a couple tenth's faster then the bolt-on record car.

I am sorry I am not one to talk trash usually, but for you, I will make an exception.

If throttle bodies are so useless then why would you run a Monoblade? Which is in fact pretty useless with out a Blower?
    Actually the bolt-on record is 11.80@113, which if you count correctly, is more than a "couple" tenths behind 11.2. Sean had full weight reduction (bumper supports, you name it!) with a mere dry weight of 3090 lbs, an extensively built suspension, 4.33 gears, and slicks. His car was "much" more purposely built than mine. I run a very mild suspension, 3.70 gears (Moser 9"), "full weight" (besides spare tire/jack delete ), and have been able to go 125.23 trap on 305/45-18" Drag radials.

[side note: I've seen a few of your posts on LS1LT1.com, and by no means is there any indication of you being a "leader". Once again, evidence needed]

Now what does your car run? Turbo on that 6?

red
    95 Z28

Guys, we can all just agree to disagree... nothing wrong with that.

LT1 Guy

Quicksilver
    03 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Guys, we can all just agree to disagree... nothing wrong with that.
    You are right there is usually nothing wrong with that.
    Actually the bolt-on record is 11.80@113, which if you count correctly, is more than a "couple" tenths behind 11.2. Sean had full weight reduction (bumper supports, you name it!) with a mere dry weight of 3090 lbs, an extensively built suspension, 4.33 gears, and slicks. His car was "much" more purposely built than mine. I run a very mild suspension, 3.70 gears (Moser 9"), "full weight" (besides spare tire/jack delete ), and have been able to go 125.23 trap on 305/45-18" Drag radials.

[side note: I've seen a few of your posts on LS1LT1.com, and by no means is there any indication of you being a "leader". Once again, evidence needed]

Now what does your car run? Turbo on that 6?
    His name is Shon not Sean. For one. Which posts of mine did you see exactly? What is your user name over there? http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/member.php?u=1644 This is me. I figure the link might help.

As for what my car runs. I have no Idea. I don't feel like putting a cage in it to be legal.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

His name is Shon not Sean. For one. Which posts of mine did you see exactly? What is your user name over there? http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/member.php?u=1644 This is me. I figure the link might help.

As for what my car runs. I have no Idea. I don't feel like putting a cage in it to be legal.

Funny, "Shon" not Sean...so petty. I'm sure you still got the point. You know cages aren't that expensive...LOL

Hey N20LT4, you stepped up to the 250-shot? I can't wait to see that thing run...
    97 Z28 1LE #53 11.08/122.84 N/A, 9.82/131.06 150-shot

02 WS6 M6, STOCK H/C/I, 3189 lbs., 11.77/113.02 (1.59 60')

08 Mercedez C63 AMG, FOR SALE!!!
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f38/2008-mercedez-c63-amg-108586/

LT1 Guy

Quicksilver
    03 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne97 View Post
    Funny, "Shon" not Sean...so petty. I'm sure you still got the point. You know cages aren't that expensive...LOL

Hey N20LT4, you stepped up to the 250-shot? I can't wait to see that thing run...
    Got what point? He can run faster then a bolt-on, and weight reduced car with his spray car? You guys can not be serious.

Edit: Its not a matter of it being expessive. Its about time to do it. I also dont feel like driving around with the cage in all the time. I am way to lazy to take it in and out.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Got what point? He can run faster then a bolt-on, and weight reduced car with his spray car? You guys can not be serious.

Edit: Its not a matter of it being expessive. Its about time to do it. I also dont feel like driving around with the cage in all the time. I am way to lazy to take it in and out.
    Pure comedy

LT1 Guy

Quicksilver
    03 Corvette Z06

I think KW had the right Idea. Good luck to the OP. With kind of advice you are going to need it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information