Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    02 WS-6 w/ Ram Air

mods. help mileage

Are there any bolt on mods that have the added ben. of improved fuel mileage? LT-1 94 Z

mystic
    95 LS, yes it says LS

Yep, wood block under the gas pedal.

Good tune up.

red
    95 Z28

Most bolt ons do have the potential to increase fuel economy. Key word is potential, meaning when you're taking it easy. Most bolt ons are geared towards improving the volumetric efficiency of the motor, so if you make it easier for the motor to breath, then it may be able to use less fuel to produce the same amount of power. My car saw little change in city mileage, but highway mileage jumped 1-2mpg with headers/intake/exhaust.

And as was said above... if the car is running unnecessarily rich (which could result in less power and more fuel consumption), then a tune would help out.

Pewter
    02 WS-6 w/ Ram Air

When you say a tune are you talking about the plugs and ect. or can you get into the computer and make changes to air/fuel mix? Whats the best mpg i can expect from a stock LT-1?

Headers will give you an increase fuel economy as well as more performance when you want it. Just depends on how you drive.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

The most basic bolt on for any car that improves gas mileage would probably be the CAI.
    Just bolt-ons, for now.

sped
    The bolt ons that are geared toward more efficient will help your gas mileage under light driving conditions. Either way though, I just can't imagine having an LT1 if I were real concerned about gas mileage.

Pewter
    02 WS-6 w/ Ram Air

You must be one of the can't have your cake and eat it too kinda guys. Some day you'l grow up and have bills to pay. Not up on all the abbrev., what are you refering to CAI?

Last edited by 1st TA; 09-03-2006 at 07:22 AM. Reason: add to

sped
    I was referring to any bolt on that is improving the efficiency of air movement (ex: CAI, headers, exhaust etc...)

Quote Originally Posted by 1st TA View Post
    You must be one of the can't have your cake and eat it too kinda guys. Some day you'l grow up and have bills to pay.
    I don't know what you're trying to say there. I have bills to pay, that's why I bought a POS 4 banger to get good gas mileage out of when I'm not driving my LT1. All I'm saying is that no matter what, that car is going to not be a real fuel efficient car.

And don't ever tell me that someday I'll grow up. You don't know me.

Enjoy your cake.
    Last edited by sped; 09-03-2006 at 11:17 AM.

Green
    1996 Z28 Camaro

You must be one of the can't have your cake and eat it too kinda guys. Some day you'l grow up and have bills to pay. Not up on all the abbrev., what are you refering to CAI?

CAI = Cold air intake

Cake is good. Butter Pecan is the best, hands down.

red
    96 ss

Are there any bolt on mods that have the added ben. of improved fuel mileage? LT-1 94 Z
    a tune would help to make sure you are not running rich and spiting fuel out. you have to factor in this though, if i buy a tune for 500. "will i save that amount of gas money in the lifetime of the car?" you also have to think "what if i am running a little lean and he adds fuel". it really all comes down to your choice , good luck.

by the way make sure your plugs and wires are in good shape, that always helps
    Last edited by jasonisdn; 09-03-2006 at 12:42 PM. Reason: more info

Pewter
    02 WS-6 w/ Ram Air

Don't mean to step on your toes, I realize that an LT-1 is not a fuel mizer but would like to squeeze anything out of it that I can. Try a morgage, 2 driving teenagers, 4 cars to insure, etc., ect., ect., and you will understand what I mean by bills to pay. Thanks all for trying to help.

red
    96 ss

Smile

Don't mean to step on your toes, I realize that an LT-1 is not a fuel mizer but would like to squeeze anything out of it that I can. Try a morgage, 2 driving teenagers, 4 cars to insure, etc., ect., ect., and you will understand what I mean by bills to pay. Thanks all for trying to help.
    i got the morgage with 3 cars but thank god for no kids yet. i feel you pain. good luck TA. lol make the kids sell lemonade for dads mod money , now that would be funny to see.

Pewter
    02 WS-6 w/ Ram Air

You mean you can make kids do things now a days. Wow what a concept.

mystic
    95 LS, yes it says LS

When you say a tune are you talking about the plugs and ect. or can you get into the computer and make changes to air/fuel mix? Whats the best mpg i can expect from a stock LT-1?
    Plugs, wires, filters, and fluids are ther best places to start. Yes a DYNO tune can help but $$$$ is involved. Some people have picked up milage off gear changes if you can keep out of the gas(I couldn't). Any thing that will make your motor breath better like a cold air or exuast will also help.

Pewter
    02 WS-6 w/ Ram Air

So you think I should change to syn. in the trans. and rear end? Is the engine oil going to make a big diff.? The car has the moroso cold air tube and the filter mounted outside the engine comp.
    Last edited by 1st TA; 09-04-2006 at 04:32 PM. Reason: add to

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

So you think I should change to syn. in the trans. and rear end? Is the engine oil going to make a big diff.? The car has the moroso cold air tube and the filter mounted outside the engine comp.
    Well then, your car already has a CAI on it.
    Changing oils can make a difference, not a noticeable one though. I think GM High Tech Performance Mag did an article on this. They found an old LT1 Formula (bone stock) and changed a lot of the oils and did route maintanance on it and gained a dynoed 11 RWHP out of it. But they used the expensive stuff, like Royal Purple.

In this case, (for those of you who don't know) horsepower is positively correlated with efficiency, or gas mileage. As mentioned earlier, mileage is directly proportional to efficiency. The less your motor has to work, the less fuel is needed to make it run the same amount. Its like running with a 50lb backpack. Run at a constant speed, then take it off and run that same speed. You don't have to work as hard. This is mostly for bolt-ons though. But why high horsepower engines don't get good gas mileage on the street is a different discussion.

mystic
    95 LS, yes it says LS

I have heard that running a ful synthetic in your trans ( if you have an auto ) can cause slippage under high load. Same can go in the rear if you have a clutch-type diff. Not sure but that is what I have heard.

Pewter
    02 WS-6 w/ Ram Air

Quote Originally Posted by mysticZ View Post
    I have heard that running a ful synthetic in your trans ( if you have an auto ) can cause slippage under high load. Same can go in the rear if you have a clutch-type diff. Not sure but that is what I have heard.
    Anyone had this problem before. I have thought about changing fluids before but was not sure if it would create problems.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Well, if you think about it, it makes sense. Synthetics are thinner and promote fast moving parts with not a lot of protection between them. Regular and thicker oils offer more protection between the moving parts because of the thicker properties, but decrease overall velocity of the moving parts (not noticeable by any means though). If you have an older car, I'd stay away from synthetics, but if its newer or doesn't have a lot of wear and tear (miles) on it, then synthetics would be ok.

Thread Information