Thread: m6 conversion

m6 conversion

Does anyone know where to get a complete kit to convert a 1997 auto trans lt1 camaro a t56 manual trans?

billy graham salvage yard. he has a website but i dont know it. i think he is in KY

Dony forget you will need more than just the tranny. Crossmember, clutch, master/slave cylinder, etc.

Thats gonna be alot of work man. I have alot of friends who have done this and it takes some time and gets frustrating. Me and one of my best friends converted his 93 not to long ago. You may want to consider getting a M6 and selling yours.

Fast93z28
    tennesseeauto.com
    thinkin about doin the same to mine here soon.

i just said screw it and bought a 98 m6 z28

Quote Originally Posted by duffman
    i just said screw it and bought a 98 m6 z28
    Congrats! You are a wise man!

Red
    2000 Trans Am A4

this can be argued several different ways and it all depends on the person. i personally have a 94 Formula which is an auto.. I used to have a 5.0 which was a 5 spd. and i def. miss slammin through the gears and enjoy it much more then a auto., but if your actually looking for that extra edge in racing a auto is going to be better in the long run maybe not more fun but better.(this is my personal opinion no one burn me to bad please). anyways get a real good shift kit and stall converter and you've got the edge over a car of the same exact mods. same year and so on you get it, because you dont have to worry about missin a gear or screwin up your clutch and havin problems with that sort of thing. just a opinion though no facts in there. for a everyday or even just for fun i would prefer a 6spd. for sure, but for really racing seriously id prefer an auto..

Quote Originally Posted by 94formulaLT1
    this can be argued several different ways and it all depends on the person. i personally have a 94 Formula which is an auto.. I used to have a 5.0 which was a 5 spd. and i def. miss slammin through the gears and enjoy it much more then a auto., but if your actually looking for that extra edge in racing a auto is going to be better in the long run maybe not more fun but better.(this is my personal opinion no one burn me to bad please). anyways get a real good shift kit and stall converter and you've got the edge over a car of the same exact mods. same year and so on you get it, because you dont have to worry about missin a gear or screwin up your clutch and havin problems with that sort of thing. just a opinion though no facts in there. for a everyday or even just for fun i would prefer a 6spd. for sure, but for really racing seriously id prefer an auto..
    Manuals put more power to the ground,has more gears to chose from and are faster mod for mod. Unless the driver sucks...LOL.

Although, auto's dont have errors like manuals when racing. Miss a gear or hit the rev limited and you will more and likely lose .1 to..8 tenths easy. So yeah, its a subjective thing. I have owned 4 auto f-bod's and 2 m6 f-bods and I prefer m6 in most occasions. But to be honest when you hit 11's it gets harder and harder to keep up with the engine and thats whehn It gets handy to have an auto. Way easier to drive.
    Another cool side to a M6 is my cammed LS1 gets 28MPG on the highway still. Better then my stock auto LT1.

For the most part its about preference but Auto's are consistant. Manuals cant be becasue we are not perfect. At least most of us arent..LOL.

Red
    2000 Trans Am A4

ya i def. agree its all about preference i mean like i said before i would prefer an manuel much more, but i got a hell of a deal on my car and couldnt pass it up. if i had the extra cash to throw around then i would love to switch it to a manuel as a matter of fact i just had my car for sale just recently just because it was an auto and i wanted a manuel so bad...but i took it back off cause i wasnt gettin any responses anyways, suprised the hell out of me shes nice for the price. anyways one day id like to do either a conversion or get a LS1 T/A M6.

Thread Information