white
    1990 Mustang GT

LT1 WS6 vs. normal

i have been looking for a trans am for awhile, im selling my 1990 mustang for 5500 and have been looking for a decent T/A for around the same price, i know the chances of finding a clean LS1 are minimal so ive been looking at LT1's and found this one online

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...000&cardist=27

sorry the link is so big, but anyways i noticed this car isnt a WS6 and was just wondering what the difference is in 95?

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

are you going to do any upgrades?

I'm pretty sure the WS6 is like the all inclusive package with all options, leather, cd and equalizer, ram air, 1le suspension and 17" wheels with z rate tires and badges.

white
    1990 Mustang GT

i figure as i go ill do upgrades but im in college so money is tight, i am just wondering if the WS6 comes with a stronger rear end than the regular TA, anything that would effect the performance of the car. leather seats dont mean anything to me i just want a good sturdy car

white
    1990 Mustang GT

also, im kinda worried about the optispark problems these cars have, is it easily fixed by adding say an MSD 6AL or is the optispark the whole distributer?

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

yeah be carefull when getting one over 100k i bought mine a 60 and it was fine until 100 then it fell apart. and with minimum $ i would be carefull. oh yeah i hate the opti but there is a way around it now
    Click for full size

optispark IS the distributor, so... theres no gettin rid of it easily. there are coil conversion kits out there for about $700 that use Cadillac Northstar systems but it still uses the opti to calculate crank position. optis can be had now for $150, msd and dynaspark make rockhard replacements that are "upgraded" against the common failure points and they run about $500. optis are hit and miss, mine worked for 11 years before it started to miss down low, but i think it only happened because the mech got it wet or josseled it too much during the head/cam install project. but again, some people go a year and have it freak out.

no package upgraded the rear i dont believe, just some where 3.23? and 3.42 ratio, all same size though so they arent any better worse i dont think... only the slp firehawk's had upgraded rears as the package, but i dont think they were actually any stronger... just dont launch with slicks and your rear should survive a good long while, just take care of it! whatever car you buy, as soon as you get it, oil, coolant, tranny and rear fluid changes and youll be set

red
    96 ss

ws6 vs non ws6
    ws6 has different air intake, exhaust, suspension,short throw shifter, bigger tires/rims and thats about all i can think of at 6:07 am.

white
    1990 Mustang GT

i am going to look at the car on saturday, what are a few major things i should check?

this is my first GM vehicle so idk for sure.

red
    96 ss

check the normal stuff for a used car. frame for damage,oil color/smell, make sure the motor is cold and have him crank it with the hood up. listen for any knocks from the bottom end and top end. take it for a drive untill it gets up to temp and then keep driving watching for any check engine or other warning lights. keep an eye on the oil pressure and temp gauge. just normal crap on a used car.

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
    optispark IS the distributor, so... theres no gettin rid of it easily. there are coil conversion kits out there for about $700 that use Cadillac Northstar systems but it still uses the opti to calculate crank position. optis can be had now for $150, msd and dynaspark make rockhard replacements that are "upgraded" against the common failure points and they run about $500. optis are hit and miss, mine worked for 11 years before it started to miss down low, but i think it only happened because the mech got it wet or josseled it too much during the head/cam install project. but again, some people go a year and have it freak out.

no package upgraded the rear i dont believe, just some where 3.23? and 3.42 ratio, all same size though so they arent any better worse i dont think... only the slp firehawk's had upgraded rears as the package, but i dont think they were actually any stronger... just dont launch with slicks and your rear should survive a good long while, just take care of it! whatever car you buy, as soon as you get it, oil, coolant, tranny and rear fluid changes and youll be set
    yeah what he said

black
    94z

looks good and has a full tank of gas thats worth a couple hundred dollars right there!

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
    Your right about that. The only "real" Opti replacement was by Electromotive, the "Opti-Spark Eliminator/Super Direct Ignition", and they don't make it any more. They used their own crank position sensor (CKP). Worked quite nice!

black, and black
    04 M6

ws6 vs ta

ws6 has bigger front and rear sway bars, 17's and ram air thats about it as far as perfromance all m6 cars of that year will have 3:42 all have same rear end. Best of my knowledge all ta's have leather and pwd pdl ok in 95 all lt1's made 275 hp and california dual cat cars made 285 hp looks like an ok car to me i say go for it

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by kyemt View Post
    ws6 has bigger front and rear sway bars, 17's and ram air thats about it as far as perfromance all m6 cars of that year will have 3:42 all have same rear end. Best of my knowledge all ta's have leather and pwd pdl ok in 95 all lt1's made 275 hp and california dual cat cars made 285 hp looks like an ok car to me i say go for it
    T/A's can be equipped with cloth interior as well. Everything else you said is right on point.
    486/438
    10.68/127 N/A

Thread Information